Pro Wrestling Only

Tito Santana Appreciation Thread

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Tito/Ted as a viable match for 'Mania 8, even without Ted and Rotundo coming together and forming Money Inc. Shawn/Tito just makes more sense the whole way around. Tito is a good, solid, worker who can work a good match with Shawn and help get over his new heel attitude and persona. It also allows them to play the history card, with Tito and Shawn being former buddies until Shawn developed his new attitude.

Not to mention that the last few 'Mania shows featured Tito helping get over new acts. He put over the Barbarian fresh from splitting off from Warlord at 'Mania 6, and he put over Jacques Rougeu-turned-Mountie at 'Mania 7.

If reports are true though, El Matador was actually meant to be a PUSH as Vince wanted to break into Mexico and other Spanish territories.

What IF, the plan was to put Tito over Ted at Mania? I mean THAT would have been a big win for him. I mean a really big win in the context of his career since the mid-80s.

Then who knows? Feud with Razor Ramon? Another feud with Ric Martel?

I'm pretty sure Tito left because he was unhappy with his push NOT because he was unhappy working the gimmick. Seems like he was made promises that were not kept. He was involved in angles around this time: around the whole Repo Man steals the Million Dollar Belt back angle. Just for him to be in angles was big in late 91.

Incidentally, that match (just watched it) is a GREAT example of what Santana was so good at. He was fired up. He was go go go. The crowd still cheered him. He got good offence in. He got all his key spots in. He got the loss while looking like he might have easily got the win.

This was only a month or so before he left the WWF. Really good worker I think.

You'll find the one from Invasion '92 on Dailymotion if you look (search El Matador vs. Ted DiBiase). It's the one with the Sherri Manager cam.

Man, I totally forgot about this. I do remember watching it. I guess I saw it when the tape was first released and never again.

"Please don't hurt my Teddy Bear! Please don't hurt my Teddy Bear!" :lol:

I Posted ImagePosted Image

Before 88 or so, Tito used the figure four as a viable finisher and the Flying Forearm could work as a transition/comeback move or a set up move.

I've always loved how Tito added the figure-four to his arsenal during his feud with Valentine and kept using it over the years, long after the feud was over. Nice attention to detail.

Would Razor vs. Tito at WM 9 have looked any more out of place than Razor vs. Backlund?

Razor vs. Backlund is arguably the most random pairing in Mania history, even during an era when the undercards were full of random pairings.

Am I the only person who at the time thought when Razor Ramon started doing those vignettes and using the word "Chico" that he was setting up a program with Santana?

I was a big Tito fan as a kid, so when Razor came in I thought he was saying "Tito" and wanted to know why he wanted to get him so badly.

What IF, the plan was to put Tito over Ted at Mania? I mean THAT would have been a big win for him. I mean a really big win in the context of his career since the mid-80s.

Tito over DiBiase in 88-89 would have been a big deal, not so much in 1992. Ted had been doing the same thing for going on five years at that point. He was long removed from doing anything in the main event, and long removed from any high profile angles. He was the first person turfed from the Royal Rumble that year.

Tito over Ted breaks Tito's long running WrestleMania losing streak, but Ted didn't exactly the most stellar 'Mania streak himself. He won two matches at 4 and lost in the finals, DCOR with Brutus Beefcake at 5, beat Jake by COR at 6, and wasn't even on 7.

Tito over DiBiase in 88-89 would have been a big deal, not so much in 1992. Ted had been doing the same thing for going on five years at that point. He was long removed from doing anything in the main event, and long removed from any high profile angles. He was the first person turfed from the Royal Rumble that year.

Tito over Ted breaks Tito's long running WrestleMania losing streak, but Ted didn't exactly the most stellar 'Mania streak himself. He won two matches at 4 and lost in the finals, DCOR with Brutus Beefcake at 5, beat Jake by COR at 6, and wasn't even on 7.

Waiiiit a sec.

He wrestled Virgil at 7

To be fair, Ted's two Mania losses did little to hurt him, and they helped put over the victors in a meaningful way. He lost a match to Savage he should have (kayfabe) won, and the win made Savage a top guy and started the Megapowers angle. And it would have really made no sense or helped anyone for him to beat Virgil in their first match against each other, as Virgil needed as much credibility as a wrestler as he could get at that point.

Tito's a weird wrestler for me.

I've seen a million of his matches and I own his El Matador action fig that's pictured on the 1st page but asside from that gimmick he never left much of a lasting impression on me.

Been racking my brain for a while today and not 1 thing comes to mind when asking myself what was a really great Tito Santana match I saw.

Not like I ever thought he was bad either...just forgetable to me for some reason...

Tito's cage match IC title victory against Greg Valentine is oddly underhyped. Probably the greatest finish to a cage match in WWF history. Also a blowoff to a fairly hot feud with Tito getting hurt, having surgery and cutting a promo from post-op, and coming back to reclaim his title from the man who hurt him.

Tito has an awful lot of quality matches. There is a Tito v. Billy Robinson match from the AWA that pisses me off beyond belief because we only have about half of it but what is there is great. The Savage and Valentine series are awesome wrestling. Steamboat was a better wrestler in my view, but Santana was a far better fired up babyface. Incidentally Tito worked as Richard Blood underneath in Mid-Atlantic

To be fair, Ted's two Mania losses did little to hurt him, and they helped put over the victors in a meaningful way. He lost a match to Savage he should have (kayfabe) won, and the win made Savage a top guy and started the Megapowers angle. And it would have really made no sense or helped anyone for him to beat Virgil in their first match against each other, as Virgil needed as much credibility as a wrestler as he could get at that point.

And wasn't it a CO loss to Virgil after interference from Roddy?

Ted was booked very very strongly in early 91. At Rumble 91 he was booked to beat Dusty AND Dustin Rhodes pretty much single-handedly. Virgil was the ultimate underdog. That was at least number 3 feud in the company at any given time that year.

Tito hadn't had a credible win in AGES. All I'm saying is that Tito beating Ted would have been a massive deal FOR TITO.

He wrestled Virgil at 7.

Oh he did, didn't he? Good call. - Ted lost there too, btw.

Mike - I think you were thinking of Summerslam 90, which is the only PPV show I can think of on which Ted didn't have a match during his run -- it's the one where he "buys" Sweet Sapphire.

Also, Ted worked an angle with Hogan in 1993, I hardly think Hogan would have worked that angle if Mike Rotunda had been tagging with anyone else. Do you? Also, since win / loss seems to be important to you, Money Inc WON that match! :lol:

Personally, I don't think losses matter for a certain calibre of heel.

I have always been a fan of his work. He's been an underrated worker for some time. In the smarkchoice poll I had him in my top 100, but he didn't get a lot of traction. He has a large body of work out there to prove his greatness. I want to talk about his quality of work on a night to night basis. All I can say from 88-91 in Houston, Texas at the Summitt Santana had one of the better matches of the night. I saw him work Ron Bass, Curt Hennig, and Tito Santana are the ones I remember. They were all really strong matches. He lost so much the people didn't believe in him.

I watched the match of Lawler vs Santana that Sagunda Caida reviewed a while back. Man is this a total blast. They worked a total Memphis style match in front of the MSG faithful and had the crowd eating everything up and asking for seconds. The audio made it seem the Garden was shaking from the rafters. Their is so much great bullshit on display. Lawler telling Tito to kiss his feet to Tito spitting on them. Lawler stalling and talking shit. After the match they are brawling into the crowd. Just a fun match with hardly and physicality to it.

I know DiBiase and IRS tagged a couple of times, but I don't think they became "Money inc." until the LoD match.

I'll back that up, for ya'. Yes, they did tag together a few times in late 1991, including a match on Prime Time in Dec '91 against the Bushwhackers (or maybe it was against Tito/Virgil). However, they did not have the team name then, nor did they have Jimmy Hart. Sherri was in their corner.

They officially became "Money Inc" and landed Jimmy Hart in mid-February 1992 on a "WWF Update" segment, where the tag title switch and the departure of the LOD was covered.

Tito was one of those wrestlers who was probably seen as "Our Guys" by the WWF crowd. The type that always seemed to get a decent pop no matter where they were on the card or booking order. The Bulldogs and Hacksaw Duggan in the 90's seemed to have this same sort of vibe.

Dumb question, but I tried searching around for the "talk about Tito being world champ in 92" and haven't been able to find it yet. Sounds interesting...