Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loose Women? Is that some English thing?

*British thing. They show that shit in Scotland, too :).

Well, I'll see your English women's talk show and raise you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWWehWokiU

Oh man...

I love SportsNation (although it's always on when I'm at work), but I had no idea he was ever even on that. Michelle's "This guy might be an honest to goodness lunatic" face in the background makes it even better.

http://www.glowthemovie.com/

Anyone know if this is going to be a hard-hitting documentary along the lines of Heroes of World Class or if this is kind of a fluff piece?

FWIW, here's the website of the company that is producing the documentary.

http://connellcreations.com/about.html

I'd imagine it's more of a fluff piece for GLOW. That's really the only way you'd want to do it with GLOW.

I liked GLOW actually. The matches usually sucked but the people got into their characters and they stuck to kayfabe. I think all wrestlers should have a rap song to help the fan understand what they are all about.

The NFL announced today that they want their players to tweet during the Pro Bowl while they are on the sidelines. Now we need wrestlers tweeting during matches.

It effectively announces to the fans the Pro Bowl doesn't matter, does it? The players were banned from tweeting during regular season games but it's ok for the Pro Bowl.

The NFL announced today that they want their players to tweet during the Pro Bowl while they are on the sidelines. Now we need wrestlers tweeting during matches.

It effectively announces to the fans the Pro Bowl doesn't matter, does it? The players were banned from tweeting during regular season games but it's ok for the Pro Bowl.

No one ever claimed the Pro Bowl mattered, like most All Star games. They generally are a celebration/break period for the fans. The fact that they are extending this celebration from the live audience (generally the only ones who care about All Star games/events) to the cyberworld isn't a bad move, IMO.

Re: Savage Heel turn in 89.

On the shows after the Main Event, Savage wrestled Warrior a few times, but then he went RIGHT back to wrestling Bad News Brown on a Canada sweep and then a few other spots. There's one report that Brown played the face in these and that makes sense in Canada I guess? But in NM and CA?

To me it's weird they didn't immediately pair him with Beefcake, since it was Brutus who shielded Hogan and told Savage to go away after the Elizabeth incident.

There's no footage of face Brown vs Heel Savage, right?

To me it's weird they didn't immediately pair him with Beefcake, since it was Brutus who shielded Hogan and told Savage to go away after the Elizabeth incident.

No.

I think they were saving Savage/Beefcake for a run during the summer, after Savage was done with Hogan.

I had thought that Vince's hatred of pronouns (or at least its current extent) was a relatively recent phenomenon. But I just noticed that in the HBK/Mankind Mind Games match, there's a part where Jim Ross says "Good suplex by Shawn Michaels. Michaels bought himself some time there. Shawn Michaels has got to regroup or Shawn Michaels is gonna lose the WWF title right here tonight in Philadelphia." That's almost Rickey Henderson-esque.

Don't think they were able to get a new tv deal so the owner just lost interest.

If nothing else it'll always be an odd little footnote in wrestling history. 19 yr old kid wins 35 million in the lottery and decideds to money mark a GLOW tribute fed :)

Re: Savage Heel turn in 89.

On the shows after the Main Event, Savage wrestled Warrior a few times, but then he went RIGHT back to wrestling Bad News Brown on a Canada sweep and then a few other spots. There's one report that Brown played the face in these and that makes sense in Canada I guess? But in NM and CA?

I have nothing to really add to this other than to say that the first WWF card I ever attended was in Calgary at the Saddledome in (pretty sure) early-January 1989. The reason I am unsure of the exact date is because the result of the card is not listed on Cawthon's site. The main event was Savage vs Brown, but this was of course before the heel turn. I've thought about e-mailing Cawthon about this card, and maybe I will someday. I really don't remember much else about the show other than Demolition wrestled (I think vs Powers of Pain). I can remember the next card I attended much better, March 17, 1989 at the smaller Corral, featuring Andre the Giant and my hero Tito, and which is listed on Cawthon's site.

Possibly, although he seemed to step up his in-ring work from around Wrestlemania V until his accident in July 1990.

The hair cut thing always seemed like a heel tactic to me. Especially when he took out the spray-can and sprayed random jobbers. For big matches, that might work, but for a weekly squash?

Alot of folks dig Jake the Snake, but he really didn't have much behind his gimmick in the second-half of his WWF days; from about 1989 until he left in 1992. The snake-bite incident with Macho Man was well remembered and generated a lot of heat, but Jake's in-ring work wasn't the attraction at that point.

His promos were always top-notch, though. Even during the awful Rick Martel "blindness" feud.