Holy Grails

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#21 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6361 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, according to Ross Hart, Stampede was shot live to tape with the cameraman being told when to start rolling. Except for the TSN era, if something is cut on the regular TV show, there was never a longer version.

#22 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Misawa vs Kawada, Champions Carnival 1996. Shown ultra-ultra-clipped on the comm, so it was taped.

True on that one. From the pics in the mags, it looked like a helluva match. If I recall correctly, it's the one where Kawada gave Misawa that big scar on the chin.

Kobashi-Williams from Carny had the finish shown on TV, but if I recall it was a single cam... as if they sent a camera there simply to capture Kobashi's first pin on Doc.

Along the same line, Kawada's first pin on Hansen in Carny 1993 would be something awesome to see if it popped up on a handheld. Those two worked magic together in 1993.

The "missing 7 minutes" of the 11/30/93 Misawa & Kobashi vs Baba & Hansen would be nice to have since we know it was filmed. The 1994 tag league draw between the two was released on comm... one wished this one had been instead.

The Misawa & Kobashi vs Kawada & Taue "league" match in the 1995 RWTL is the only missing one between those teams.

John

#23 cm funk

cm funk
  • Members
  • 1598 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

In 1994 Chris Benoit had matches with Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk in Dennis Coraluzzo's New Jersey promotion, were they taped?

#24 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

My answer hasn't changed in a long time. Destroyer vs. Billy Robinson happened at some point(s) in the 1970's, but never in All Japan, places like New Zealand or something. As far as anyone knows, none of it ever made tape. But I can't imagine that not being pretty darn fun. Too bad it is probably on that long list of things just lost to the void.

The also had a match up in Montreal if I recall.

A Destroyer vs Jumbo singles match on tape would be nice. There were very few of them.

Look at some of the matches around the Baba & Jumbo vs Texas Outlaws title match:

1975/11/18 Iwakuni, Yamaguchi
Murdoch & Rhodes (2-1; COR in 3rd) Baba & The Destroyer

1975/11/21 Kamo, Niigata
Baba def Somers
Tsuruta & Destroyer (2-1; DQ in 3rd) Murdoch & Rhodes

1975/11/30 Muroran, Hokkaido
Tsuruta & Destroyer (time limit draw) Murdoch & Rhodes

We know this was a TV taping since so much of it made Classics on G+

1975/12/06 Tokyo - Adachi Ward Gym
Masanobu Fuchi (4:57 pin) Kazuharu Sonoda
Munenori Higo (6:19 pin) Atsushi Ohnita
Open Championship League: Mighty Inoue (15:32 DCOR) Wrestling
Open Championship League: Jonathan (8:00 COR) Anton Geesink
Open Championship League: Kintaro Ohki (12:58 pin) Mantell
Jumbo Tsuruta & The Destroyer (30min limit draw) Murdoch & Hoffman
Open Championship League: Race (10:41 pin) Rhodes
Open Championship League: Abdullah (10:02 DQ) Dory
Open Championship League: Giant Baba (8:09 pin) Raschke

ALL-JAPAN G+ CLASSICS 34 Apr. ‘05
- Harley Race vs. Dusty Rhodes (12/6/75)
- Dory Funk, Jr. vs. Abdullah the Butcher (12/6/75)
- Giant Baba vs. Baron Von Raschke (12/6/75)

The Don Leo Jonathan vs. Anton Geesink and Mr. Wrestling vs. Mighty Inoue were on original Classics (along with Baba-Baron and Dory-Abby). So five matches on the card were taped, including two lower on the card. Hoffman would be pushed pretty hard in the Open League... this was opening night of the league... so that might have been taped.

Some other interesting stuff from the period:

1975/12/11 Tokyo - Nippon Budokan "Rikidozan Memorial Show" (14,500)
* Joint card by "JWA", IWE, and All Japan
Baba & Destroyer (2-1) Tsuruta & Dory
1: Destroyer (13:56 pin) Dory
2: Tsuruta (2:27 pin) Destroyer
3: Destroyer (5:29 pin) Tsuruta

#25 Busterira

Busterira
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Are any of the 3 MSG Backlund vs Peter Maivia matches from 11/78, 12/78 and 1/79 available? When they had the Peter Maivia HOF on WWE classics, I was surprised they didnt show any of these matches. Specifically the Jan 79 cage match.

#26 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

In 1994 Chris Benoit had matches with Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk in Dennis Coraluzzo's New Jersey promotion, were they taped?

Get Will's Funk Set

#27 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

A handheld of Lawler-Benoit was posted in DVDVR (I think it might have been Bix who uploaded it). It was a good Lawler performance.

Negro Casas vs Fuerza Guerrera (EMLL - September 1980). It's a match that Casas has talked about in interviews before and about how it's supposely supposed to be one of the greatest matches ever.

Perro Aguayo vs Marty Jones (Hair vs Hair Match). This looks like it was fucking awesome.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3505 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

Here is my review of the Benoit v. Lawler match

http://segundacaida....good-clean.html

#29 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

I would love to see some footage of the main matches and angles from 60's/early-70s LA and San Fran. Meltzer's bio's of Tolos and Shire made it sound like a really interesting era. Seems like that's just a dream though. I'm also guessing nothing exists of the 1980 Superdome show featuring JYD vs Hayes in a Dog Collar Match coming off the big blinding angle (or even footage of the angle itself). More footage of the heyday's of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver wrestling would be cool as well.

#30 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3083 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

How much footage is there of that 12-woman AJW tag from 1987 that Dave gave ***** to?

#31 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4181 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

I wish there was more footage of Mid South Coliseum matches from the 90's. Especially matches like Lawler vs Mr. Perfect or Undertaker vs Spellbinder in 1994. Also apparently Jerry Lawler faced Doug Furnas in 1988 somewhere around Knoxville. I bet that was a good match with Lawler being heel.

#32 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Basically the entire cards of the non-televised King of the Ring tournaments. There are some tasty-looking matches on those, including DiBiase vs. Steamboat 15-minute draw.

That exists as a handheld.

The whole show, or just that match?

#33 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 2226 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Basically the entire cards of the non-televised King of the Ring tournaments. There are some tasty-looking matches on those, including DiBiase vs. Steamboat 15-minute draw.

That exists as a handheld.

The whole show, or just that match?

Haven't watched it in years, but pretty sure it's the whole card. It is the only one of the pre-PPV King of the Rings that is in circulation as a handheld.

#34 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Amazing, it's just on Youtube. Better watch it before the Feds arrive. Ok, the 87 and 88 tourneys where Savage and then DiBiase won, are my picks for this then.

#35 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

How much footage is there of that 12-woman AJW tag from 1987 that Dave gave ***** to?

Lioness Asuka/Mika Komatsu/Kazue Nagahori/Mitsuko Nishiwaki/Etsuko Mita/Sachiko Nakamura vs. Chigusa Nagayo/Yumiko Hotta/Mika Takahashi/Mika Suzuki/Yachiyo Hirata/Yumi Ogura (About 17:30 of 50:00 Shown - All Japan Women 12/6/87)*****- Dave's quote "The main event was by far the greatest match I've ever seen live. In fact, I'd say without question it was better than any match ever held in the United States in the history of this business."

About 17:30 of 50 minutes is shown, the VQ is what I would call FAIR-GOOD, but this is the only version that exists.

#36 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10043 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Isn't it a bit ironic and depressing to think that today the lamest indy show with a bunch of bakyarder ends up on youtube or homemade DVD, and footage of all this great stuff doesn't exist ? When I was a history student, I was thinking about how nightmarish the future will be for historians of contemporary history, with the über multiplication of sources. Everything is documented now, including 99% of useless stuff. This is the same thing for wrestling. You'll have every bit of WWE NXT matches on HD, yet we won't be able to see that many Calgary Stampede matches in full, ever. Frustration.

#37 Tim Cooke

Tim Cooke
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1562 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

John - are these old results for 1960's/1970's AJPW online or do you have them compiled through different sources?

#38 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

The Ken Patera/Pedro Morales WWF IC Title change from MSG in December '80. Rougeau Brothers vs. Hart Foundation from Montreal in '87, the Rougeaus win the WWF Tag Titles before decision is reversed. The league match between Misawa and Taue from the '96 Carny.

#39 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

John - are these old results for 1960's/1970's AJPW online or do you have them compiled through different sources?

Some from a titles spreadsheet, which is an older version here at work with more holes. Some of it from Hisa's puroresu.com, which has old results as he gets them. JWA is pretty solid... AJPW in the 70s less so. Some good IWE stuff early on.

John

#40 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Isn't it a bit ironic and depressing to think that today the lamest indy show with a bunch of bakyarder ends up on youtube or homemade DVD, and footage of all this great stuff doesn't exist ?
When I was a history student, I was thinking about how nightmarish the future will be for historians of contemporary history, with the über multiplication of sources. Everything is documented now, including 99% of useless stuff. This is the same thing for wrestling. You'll have every bit of WWE NXT matches on HD, yet we won't be able to see that many Calgary Stampede matches in full, ever.
Frustration.

Late to the party, but a lot of that has to do with what videotape cost back in the day. This was a problem that wasn't exclusive to wrestling, either, as networks would re-use tape for broadcasting, especially when it had stuff on that they didn't think people would re-watch. Best example of this is the first Super Bowl, as no full footage of the game exists (it got taped over by soap operas). It's very different today, as it's a lot more affordable for both companies and individuals to document just about anything. Stampede was mentioned by you and others and it wasn't just Stampede that felt that wrath here in Canada, as there have been some hockey games (famous ones in fact) from over the years that were never kept or had to be reattained in other ways/means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users