Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-04-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke & Sato & Shiryu vs Super Delphin & Jinsei Shinzaki & Gran Naniwa

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much a perfectly executed MPRO formula six man. It has everything you expect, the intricate lucha armdrags and ranas, the signature comedy spots, the crazy dive train. When these guys get on this kind of roll, it really is something special. Man 1994 Sato (Togo) is one of the most athletic impressive wrestlers in history, the speed and agility he executes his stuff is incredible. He and Delfin match up to start the match, and their exchanges are at Gods Must Be Crazy speed. Sato also wins the dive train which is pretty impressive considering the company he keeps. We get Shiryu and Naniwa next, and they have a more mat based match up, with Shiryu ripping off some really quick amateur rides. It had been a long time since I have seen the Naniwa/Delfin MX arm wringer spot, but man do those guys execute it perfectly. Delfin is great as a cocky douche really getting into working over the arm, and Naniwa is also great as a guy sad and angry at always being a schlemiel. Outside of one awkward Shinzaki spot (and honestly he didn't bring a ton to this) this was textbook stuff, and exactly the kind of thing I fell in love with when I first saw it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great! Super Delphin is the world's most awesome stooge in this match, and Togo is amazingly athletic. Really, everyone is great, but those are the two biggest standouts for me. Not a lot to add to Phil's review, but outstanding match. Easily the best pre-1996 MPro match I've seen.

Didn't realize it was Dick Togo out there until he got in the ring. Ah, I wasn't as high on this as you guys. I loved the regular MPro spots that are fun. Shinzaki just didn't belong here. I don't think he contributed much. This match needed more TAKA. Maybe I will need to rewatch again. Good match, but again I am not as big on this as the rest of you.

• 3 weeks later...

This is extremely entertaining. I love M-Pro dive sequences and this was one of the best I've seen. I believe Tajiri was a second in this match. Super Delfin was tremendous and my favorite part of the match is the great Naniwa/Delfin arm wringer spot. It's pretty hilarious. This was a ton of enjoyment. I don't know if I can call it a great wrestling match but it did entertain the hell out of me. That's definitely good for something.

Super Delfin is someone who I had never hated but also never really paid much attention to. He was fabolous in this match. I don't know how knew the arm wringer and row boat spots were at this time but both were done well especially the arm wringer. I liked how the first pairings of the match showcased the different styles with Sato/Delfin being athletic, Shiryu/Naniwa working the mat and mixing in some comedy, and Jinsei/Sasuke having the superstar pairing. The 25 minutes really fllew by here as they came up with enough interesting stuff to sustain the attention span. Saving the dive train to the end was nice also as it felt built up to that moment.

• 1 year later...

Wow, Naniwa's decked out in the Kuishinbo Kamen mask, also looking like the lost third member of the Killer Bees. MPro 6-mans sometimes settle into a formula to the point where you can call out each spot before it happens--namely the arm-pump and the rowboat+huracanrana--but they're always effective and the rest of the match is fought with such velocity and athletic skill that it rarely matters. Somehow I had it in my mind that Hayashi was some wet-behind-the-ears rookie in WCW--I guess I had him pegged as one of Ultimo's guys--but this is 4+ years earlier and he's already carrying himself like a veteran, not just with his matwork and moves but his ability to control a crowd Kendo-style. Great fun, as usual for this style.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-350-301/

Yeah this was a lot of fun. I haven't watched a ton of MPro, so to date it's the best of its kind I've seen. The comedy spots were well-timed and actually funny to me. Lots of great action. Really fun spots. I honestly didn't think I'd care for it going in, but it flew by and it was really good. The arm wringer spot was the best.

• 1 year later...
I adore Super Delfin in the 1990's with his awesome 90's get-up and he was a definite highlight of this six-man tag. As for the match itself, it was a total blast, with good comedy, creativity, pacing, and placement of spots. You had Delfin and baby Dick Togo snapping off arm drags and hitting all the highs of that crisp mid-1990's junior chain rasslin'. The veteran no-nonsense Shinzaki beating the crap out of Sasuke, walking the ropes, and of course, Sasuke being an ass, jaw-jacking with the referee. And while Naniwa isn't the best wrestler, he provides probably the biggest laugh of the match when Delfin inadvertently gives him an arm wringer on the ropes, and Naniwa storms off...only to be brought back after a convincing kiss on the lips from an apologetic Delfin. Incredible. With six-mans, there's always a bit of slop and disorder but I really liked the continuous build to the dives, which culminates in everyone taking to the skies.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-04-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke & Sato & Shiryu vs Super Delphin & Jinsei Shinzaki & Gran Naniwa
  • 4 years later...

25 minutes of lucharesu! Early on this was functioning at classic levels. The speed and intricacy was amazing. They settled things down and laid out a fuller match with comedy, tandem spots and solid action. A lot of focus was on punishing Shiryu (Kaz Hayashi) but I think this could have been a little more interesting. Also there was a little bit of "walking to my spot" when things got further along. My guess is that the rapid pace at the beginning tired some wrestlers out.  Eventually Shiryu makes his comeback and things kick back up into high gear for the finishing stretch. An absolute great match as long as you don't need your wrestling to be super serious all of the time.