Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-05-WWF-Superstars] Wrestlemania X Update

Loss

• 1 month later...

Todd Pettengill, who is so Hip And With It that my impressions of the WWF go through the roof, pitches to Stan Lane to recap Lex Luger's Wrestlemania journey, starting with Yoko being slammed on the USS Intrepid. Bret also does a brief promo to discuss his match with Owen and later match with the WWF champ. I'm a broken record, but I like Bret promos because they seem so genuine, even if he's not a witty speaker every time out. We're reminded that there will be surprise guest referees in both title matches, and Savage/Crush is also announced for the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Younger fans probably have no concept of the local TV cartoon-block host, but that's how Pettingill has always come across. The phrase "suitable competition" must have been one of those Vince kicks, because it's been all over the damned place recently. It's an UNPRECEDENTED FIRST, as opposed to all those firsts with lots and lots of precedent. It's barely even worth discussing how infinitely more relatable Bret is than Luger's phony act, I don't see how one could even argue otherwise. His promos all throughout this angle have been outstanding.

• 3 years later...

I agree with Pete about Bret's promos; he really put across how reluctant he was to step in the ring with Owen, especially just before a World title match. I even sensed that, words aside, he'd rather face a sworn enemy in Yoko than a friend in Luger, although he certainly wasn't going to back down from anyone.

Okerlund still does these better than Pettengill, but Todd's better than anyone else they had on the roster at the time. The idea of Gino doing one of these in his current state of competence isn't something I want to contemplate.

Does anyone remember reading something on why Mania was so early? Could it have had something to do with the circus coming to the Garden early that year? The Rangers and Knicks had always been gotten around one way or another, so I doubt either one of them was a factor.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-05-WWF-Superstars] Wrestlemania X Update