Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-13-SMW-Sunday Bloody Sunday] Chris Candido vs Tracy Smothers

Loss

• 1 month later...

Nice, action packed match. These two are working at a harder pace than anyone I've seen in SMW, but they are still working a really sound match. Really feels like the type of match WCW should have been putting on TV on a regular basis during this same time period, but far more heated than it would be if it took place in WCW. Candido busts out some really nice highspots, and Smothers take some solid bumps around ringside. Because SMW had a lot of guys whose best days were behind them, these guys stand out more because they are working a more athletic match than most SMW matches during this time period. Candido has picked up on the nuances of being an effective in-ring heel pretty quickly, and Smothers is a guy who could have been near the top of a thriving territory in a different era. I like that they keep the pace up, but still sell the impact of the moves. If there's a weakness here, it's that they probably do about 20-25 minutes of match layout in a 12-13 minute match, so this feels a little bit rushed, but it's not a glaring thing, and overall, that's a small complaint. Morton/Snow is still my favorite SMW match ever, but I could see something from this feud surpassing it as I continue going through the '94 yearbook.

This feud between the 2 is in my opinion the best thing either did in wrestling. This is a good workrate match where both guys go go go. Smothers is a great babyface in SMW. Good stuff from both guys with even greater stuff from this feud. This is a great opening bout in the feud.

From SMW set originally for me. This is better on second viewing. I agree with the above that the set a faster pace then the rest of the wrestlers in SMW at this time. Length of this match felt about right for me though. These guys wrestled some good matches against each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Tracy and Candido had great chemistry. This match really shows that. There exchanges are very graceful and flow well. This match had some nice hope spots with Tracy. The finish was so so but this was a fine match that shows how well these two meshed in the ring.

• 1 year later...

Awesome match! Indy spotfest meets southern cooking--Candido can bust out the highspots and also stooge, bump, and sell. And Smothers can match him move for move. Both guys bust out all kinds of offense here and there are a number of false finishes, before Candido whips out a chain and clobbers Smothers with it to score the upset. Sort of a Tennessee-by-numbers finish to a non-Tennessee-type match, but Candido didn't break the chain out until he was on the ropes and desperate. Compare and contrast with Lawler and other Memphis heels.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-13-SMW-Sunday Bloody Sunday] Chris Candido vs Tracy Smothers