Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-28-WWN] Terry Funk vs Sabu

Loss

• 1 month later...

I liked this WAY more than I expected. There was a real intensity to the match, something more violent and dangerous-seeming than arbitrary table breaking. Of course there is table breaking, but it's set up so naturally and enhances the match instead of acting as the centerpiece of it. The central focus is on the mayhem and unpredictability. This was in the tradition of Abdullah, the Sheik and Kevin Sullivan.

One of Sabu's best matches, and one of the best matches from Terry Funk's second career too. Give Paul E. credit for taking a piledriver on the floor!

• 2 weeks later...

This was a nice little surprise. Thanks to the cameraman for improving his position after a few minutes. Nice action between two as this was good brawl. Funk hits a pretty good moonsault. Post match has Sabu hitting one of his own on a table which always seemed dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...

This felt like the perfect style garbage match that had intensity and the spots were logical and felt organic. Ending was blah and I didn't get Sabu going through a table by himself at the end. I have always enjoyed punch and kick brawls and cage matches done well but for a garbage/weapons match this was high end stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Man, I was looking forward to this as I love Terry Funk and when he's with the right opponent and busts out the crazy I like Sabu. But this just seemed like they had certain spots that needed to be crossed off of a list, and they were going to cross them off that list no matter what. And that's all they did. I just couldn't wait for this to end.

• 2 years later...

This is fine for what it is, which is a good time. I bet it would have been even more enjoyable live. There were some cool spots. I liked Funk throwing Sabu headfirst into the damaged table at the beginning and Sabu missing Funk later and going through another table. There were some inconsistencies, but I'm not one to pick a match like this apart. This was just fun. Good stuff. And out of Sabu's matches that I can remember, I could certainly see this as being discussed with some of the better ones. I don't see this as a great match or anything, but for this type of style, it's fun. Sabu purposely does a moonsault through a table after the match hurting only himself, which is pretty dumb. I guess it just shows how CRAZY he is (and how smart he is).

#418 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-450-401/2/

• 4 months later...

Yeah this is definitely the type of the match that would be awesome love.

Terry Funk vs Sabu - WWN 2/28/94

Terry Funk atomic drops Sabu onto a chair! *****

Total mindless fun, which is what I needed. Both are so good at the fundamentals so the headbutts, punches and chops all look great. The piledrivers are great as is taking out Paul E with one. What makes this special is all the insane highspots with Sabu destroying a table, Funk piledriving him on a broken table, Funk with a legitimately good moonsault and Sabu nearly killing himself with a springboard 450. The fact this is a fancam only adds to the chaos because sometimes outta nowhere Sabu will just fly into the screen and die. Sabu attacks the ref during his camel clutch. Whole thing gets thrown out. So Sabu brings a table into the ring and breaks it himself with a moonsault. It is one of those so stupid it is great things.

Very enjoyable. Just turn your brain off and let it ride. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-28-WWN] Terry Funk vs Sabu