Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-02-WAR-Revolution Rumble] Ultimo Dragon & Masao Orihara vs Great Sasuke & Sato

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This had some really strong moments and good performances, but I just don't think these kind of matches are doing a ton for me in 2010. It went too long, even with a clip in the middle, and didn't feel like it had much of a structure. Just a lot of guys doing a bunch of things, some of the things are really cool, but it didn't build much of a coherent tale. I really like Orihara as either an underdog fighting through a beating, or a dickish asshole stiffing people. He can do both in one match and make it work, but here it felt a little like he was shifting back at forth randomly. Also Sasuke brutally blew the Sasuke Special #2 which ruined what had been an awesome dive train. Otherwise Sasuke was pretty great, as he really has a awesome overall shtick, graceful and crazy, as adept at quick lucha exchanges as lunatic bumping. Man is SATO (aka Dick Togo for yall that don't know) stellar too, such crazy agility for a stocky dude, he had the best dive in a match with Orihara, Ultimo and Great fucking Sasuke which is really something. Ultimo had some nice moments, I loved him dickishly breaking up a pin by kicking Sasuke in the eye Tenryu style, but he is still consistently the least guy in almost every match I see him in. I think folks will enjoy this, but I wanted it to be better.

• 4 weeks later...

This has a reputation, and I thought it had its moments, but I didn't really love it. Lots of time killing where it seemed like nothing of any consequence was happening, and there was no real coherent narrative from the beginning of this to the end. For guys hitting exciting spots cleanly, this was good, but nothing special. Ultimo is a great highspot guy, but he doesn't really work holds very well. I sound like Dave Meltzer, but 20+ minutes with large chunks of it lying around on the mat isn't really what people want to see from these guys. Sasuke blew the Space Flying Tiger Drop pretty badly by being out of position, which just killed the heat that they were starting to build, which is a shame. They get the crowd back and the last few minutes of this has some great moments, but this would have come across better with about 10 minutes shaved off.

• 2 weeks later...

Sasuke botched that pretty fantastically. He did a quick save but seemed to miss Orihara for the most part still. Not the easiest move to pull off anyways. This was better off to be JIP. Too long for what I was expecting from these guys. The last few minutes are really good though.

• 2 weeks later...

This was too long. I am generally fine with spot fest like this but it clearly needed structure. Sasuke put the ultimate buzzkill on a tremendous dive sequence. That pissed me off. This was pretty good and had some fun spots with a solid ending but definitely had its setbacks.

Probably my most disappointing match so far as even though I think the work was better here than in some other matches, they had a bigger stage here and things just didn't seem to click. I lost interest repeatedly due to the structure and couldn't not decipher a storyline throughout the match. It is disappointing to see Ultimo who was my favorite of all the WCW cruisers as a kid really not hold up at all over time in most of his big showcase matches. The Sasuke botch was comical but besides that, I thought he was actually the strongest worker in the match. Just a match that had not glue to make the spots impactful.

• 1 year later...

Not good. This was badly disjointed all the way through, and they pissed me off right from the getgo by doing that stupid fucking "pop up from a piledriver and piledrive the other guy who pops up..." shit that Tiger Mask and Dynamite Kid foisted on us. There was some good stuff here, but every time they felt close to building something special, I'd get knocked out of it--Sasuke ruins the dive train with a horribly blown space flying tiger drop, Dragon runs *right* at Sasuke on the apron just to Sasuke can kick him in the back, etc. Lots of my turn/your turn stuff down the stretch, and Orihara was pretty useless altogether--which says something, considering how little I care for his partner. Ultimo, for a scant few seconds, actually attempted to show something vaguely resembling a personality at one point, with a rather disdainful and casual kick at Sasuke's head while he made a cover, but it didn't last.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-02-WAR-Revolution Rumble] Ultimo Dragon & Masao Orihara vs Great Sasuke & Sato