Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-22-WCW-Slamboree] Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan vs Nasty Boys (Street Fight)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Pretty awesome wild brawl. Most people know this match well, so I won't walk through it, but I will say I liked it more than I expected to like it, even having really liked the Spring Stampede tag. The one thing I didn't care for was the way they set up Dave Schulz's altercation with Sags. But everything else was the bees knees, and the post-match angle with Payne and Evad getting their revenge was even better.

I remember as a 15 year old kid, this might have been my favorite match of all time. At this point, Cactus Jack was probably my favorite wrestler in the world, so seeing him win a title was pretty awesome, plus the match was a great brawl that I probably watched over and over again, as I had an illegal cable box as a kid so I watched and taped all of the PPVs around this time. I haven't seen it in years, but this match will always hold a special place in my heart.

Great brawl. They beat each other up but didn’t have the cringe worthy stuff from the Stampede match where it seemed that there were really hurting each other. I liked Schultz using hockey stype of punches of Sags. Philly fans were popping big for that. Cool guitar shot by Payne afterwords. This match in a way felt fresh to me.

Man oh man this match is tremendous. What a fucking great brawl! I do think the Dave Schultz stuff could have likely been set up better but I don't care this was awesome. The post-match was really, really tremendous too. Great, great match.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the greatest garbage matches I have ever seen. I used to prefer the Spring Stampede match but this is clearly superior. Stiff action and a frantic pace. The ending with Shultz, EVAD, and Maxx payne getting spots in was fabulous. This is going up high on the MOTY list so far.

• 5 months later...

You replace big goof Maxx Payne with Kevin motherfucking Sullivan, and guess what happens ? A FUCKING AWESOME BRAWL !!!! Seriously, this is so much better than the Stampede match, it looks like guys kiiling each others and trying to survive. I quote Sullivan from his Youshoot interview when he half jokingly said "These guys weren't smartened up (...) They would make great truck drivers". Probably safer than the previous match too, as Cactus Jack crash on the table is nowhere near the nestea plunge from the ramp + shovel shot. Saggs had a badly injured shoulder coming in so it's a credit to him that he worked so hard. Loved the ending, which made sense with the Philly crowd, and loved the post match with Maxx Payne doing the only good thing he ever did in his entire stint, but that was one hell of a payback. Cactus looked like he had gone through a slaughter, and the Nasties selling for so long (well, Saggs wasn't exactly selling) really put over the brutality. Also, thank God Ventura was calling this one. It's too bad he was put aside by Bischoff, as he was so much better than Heenan. Can you just picture Ventura announcing during the early nWo days ? Anyway, great stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe in all this gushing that no one mentioned Kevin Sullivan doing a FUCKING DROPKICK. There's your goddamned 1994 Best Wrestling Maneuver Award, right there. This probably *did* go a tad too long, but it was still fun as hell--and yes, a bit grittier and dare I say more realistic than Spring Stampede. I didn't really mind the ending, just Schultz going from badass knocking out Saggs to not doing anything during the post-match attack. Still, the post-match features two markout moments from all fucking people, Maxx Payne and Evad Sullivan. This is EASILY the best positive moment of either man's careers--you know it's a brilliantly laid-out moment when I'm marking for fucking Evad clobbering Knobbs with a crutch, and Payne's epic guitar shot is a great callback to SuperBrawl. Everything a satisfying blowoff brawl should be. What a great goddamned card, with so many great *different* kinds of matches. Unless there's another big joshi show that's at Dream Rush or DreamSlam levels, then I don't see how the Card of the Year Award isn't locked up right now.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

This was everything I hoped it would be going in. A wild, chaotic, tornado street fight with brawling all over the arena floor. Plenty of plunder was utilized, blood was shed, and Foley tried to injure himself with nutty bumps. Great fun and it stood out as something different in 1994 WCW. It's surprising that some people think it went too long as the duration was under 10m. I thought it was spot on. I even didn't mind the screwy finish as the ex-NHL guest ref took the law into his own hands. Had he not made it on the ice, Schultz could've had a successful career in the ring.

• 4 months later...

Guess I am all alone preferring Spring Stampede.

WCW World Tag Team Champions Nasty Boys vs Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan - WCW Slamboree 1994 Street Fight

Surprisingly, I have never seen this match before. I think this is most high-profile 90s US match I had not seen.

Sullivan has replaced Maxx Payne, which I have surmised is due to Dave Sullivan being injured by the Nasties and perhaps the fact it was Slamboree. This was very energetic and was total raucous mayhem.

Jerry Saggs is a fucking animal. He has no regard for anyone's body. Saggs & Cactus are a match made in heaven. Cactus is the ultimate masochist and Saggs is the ultimate sadist. They are just wailing on each other with what ever is not nailed down. My favorite spots were Knobs suckering Cactus into hitting a Cacuts Elbow on the trash can. Then my favorite spot was Saggs swinging the trash can around like a madman not caring where the hell he hit someone. Cactus takes his ridiculous bump, which is from the ramp through the table. I really like when people suplex tables on people and Cactus does that. I also when people throw objects at each other and there were plenty of chair throws. I can see the argument this is better than Spring Stampede because of the energy level, but I really thought the finish was flat and that Spring Stampede's finish was definitely superior. Those shovel shots and the bump of the ramp was nasty. Here we get some lame shots from Shultz and Cactus needs his help to win the match. It is this crazy feud and this hockey dude is the reason why Cactus & Sullivan win kinda takes the wind out of my sails. The post-match is crazy. Payne's guitar shot to the back of Saggs' head is ridiculous and Dave Sullivan absolutely hits a homer run with crutch on Knobs. Fucking awesome garbage brawl. If Spring Stampede is the greatest garbage brawl of all time, this is the second best! ****1/4

• 5 months later...

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-250-201/

Non-stop brutality. An awesome brawl, and I liked the comparison to Memphis above. I need to watch the Stampede match closer together to see which one I prefer. This was a pretty great pace. And, I like how out of control it seemed without spots seeming like they were prepared in adavance or set up ahead of time. ****

• 10 months later...

It is tough for me to separate this match from the Spring Stampede match because I like both so much. I guess the post match destruction of the Nastys put this one over the top. Man, that crutch shot and guitar shot was something. Awesome all around.

On a side note, 1994 was such a great year for WCW. I would put it right behind 92 for the decade. Spring Stampede and Slamboree were such great ppvs and BATB was really good too. I would say Fall Brawl was the end for wcw with Cactus leaving,Steamboat retiring and Austin jobbing in 30 seconds to Duggan.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-22-WCW-Slamboree] Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan vs Nasty Boys (Street Fight)