Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-06-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXVII] Steven Regal vs Larry Zbyszko

Loss

• 2 months later...

Another really terrific match between these two. This is less sportsmanlike than the two previous matches. Everything just *looks* so good. Crowd is super hot. The exchanges are good, as always, but the psychology and timing of everything to get a crowd reaction is the standout thing about this one. They work a lot of holds you don't see every day, like Larry using a bodyscissors to cut off Regal's offense, and Larry working Regal into a really snug looking piledriver.

Regal wearing some nice pre match garb to the ring. Your move now Dory Funk. Regal is just rocking the forearms in the match. He grabs Larry in a chinock but forearms him repeatedly across the nose. Regal gets revenge and wins back the title. Good reaction throughout the match. Their matches have been a fun series and from the matching listing we are not finished yet.

This is another great match between these two but this time it's more of a brawl. The crowd was hot and my favorite spot was Regal breaking out of the bodyscissors with an extremely vicious headbutt to Larry Z's crown. Excellent match.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I loved how they changed up their approach after the mat- and psychology-based matches before. Oh, this had psychology out the ass and some good matwork, but this was a fight with some technical wrestling on the side. The stand-up stuff, especially Zbyszko's punch-and-martial-arts-flurry, are the real highlights. Clever and well-done finish as Sir William reverses a Boston crab attempt and Regal steals a win despite both guys being in the ropes. I'm not ready for this feud to be over yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

WCW World TV Champion Larry Zbyszko vs Lord Steven Regal - WCW Clash of the Champions XXVII

Incredible progressions. They drop all pretenses of wrestling and just brawl with each other. Regal is pissed and jumps Zbyszko. He wails on him and he really overwhelms him. He starts taunting him. RUH ROH! Here comes Larry Z baby! Love that fired up old man! Just awesome back and forth strike exchanges. Love the play off the Slamboree finish and then Larry Z getting his suplex. Regal is brutal in this. Those palm strikes to the face are nasty and so is that headbutt when he is in the body scissors. Zbyszko looks like he may have it when Dundee pushes him over and Regal grabs the ropes to win! I have loved how every match thus far has felt different and built on the previous match. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1994-06-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXVII] Steven Regal vs Larry Zbyszko
  • 1 year later...

I'm not a fan of Regal's get-up as I thought it was way too cheesy and pantomine, but only a top talent like Regal could make it somewhat work. Regal mugging off the crowd was great, but it's not long before Zbyszko and Regal start trading the forearms. This was a short, yet gritty match that ends when Regal's manager (who I had no idea was Bill Dundee until a few weeks ago) gets involved. This wasn't pretty, but it didn't need to be.

★★★