Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-24-WCW-Main Event] Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat

Loss

• 2 months later...

Could this crowd care any less? There is lots of piped in noise, but they barely move until Steamboat rolls up Sherri while holding Flair in the figure four near the finish. From there it is pretty heated, but the match is almost over. Not a good match, much less by their standards, but it wasn't really given time or focus to be. Plus, Sherri had to get in her shots, and she was too much of the focus. And when Flair is the top heel and they're trying to draw big with Hogan on top, why is Steamboat getting visual falls on him? Austin runs in for the DQ and Flair, Austin and Sherri put the boots to Steamboat. Flair and Austin should have been paired at this point.

Sherri is a bad fit in this match. She was way too involved early in match which took away from Flair versus Steamboat. I like Sherri and all but it was over doing it. We get it. Flair is bad guy. But it didn't seem like the live audience here cared anyways. These guys are probably so use to having long matches it against each other that they just weren't able to have a good enough match with the shorter time. It does pick up towards the end and Sherri does provide some her great physical ability.

• 2 weeks later...

To me this felt like the greatest hits version of Flair/Steamboat where they mixed in some of their signature spots but also try to use Sherri to build up the Hogan feud. It didn’t work out to well and makes you really wish the SN match was the last match they had against each other.

• 5 months later...

Allow me to disagree *again* with everyone here. I thought this was a very fun match, and I'm glad they had another one involving Sherri. I take back what I said previously, Sherri is awesome no matter who she's paired with. Their days of having classics are behind them anyway, so why not tweek it by adding another element and just have a fun little match on TV ?

As far as Steamboat getting visual falls on him, why would not not ? He headlined a PPV just a few montsh ago with Flair and had another main event match on Saturday night not too long ago. Flair getting visually pinned doesn't matter at this point. Hogan already beat him clean anyway. Flair vs Hogan drew because it was Flair vs Hogan, not because Flair was this strong unbeatable guy. Anyway, really enjoyed this stuff

• 1 year later...

The production of this looks like 1990-91 all over again--still, refreshing to see a WCW TV match in an arena setting. Jesse has completely checked out at this point, though his comparing of Sherri to Gloria Steinem is pretty funny. This was a sprint by Flair/Steamboat standards, but still quite long for a TV match, and they blitz through the closing stretch at a pretty awesome pace, with some cool involvement from Sherri. Three visual falls by Steamboat on Flair is pretty excessive, though--this was a case of Flair's selflessness hurting his own push. Steamboat is triple-teamed by Flair, Sherri, and Austin before the fearsome duo of Brian Armstrong and some blond jobber make the save. A fun little footnote to the Flair/Steamboat rivalry.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-24-WCW-Main Event] Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat