Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-01-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Excellent match! Easily their best non-gimmicked match together. Shawn has been out since WM, and following his normal pattern, he returns from an absence obnoxiously good. He mixes in his great bumping with a more aggressive streak than usual. A really good match for both guys, and one that hasn't been as remembered as some of the other good WWF TV matches during this time. Really, really good.

Savage continues to act as Vince's surrogate over the court case.

I’ve seen this a couple times now and I keep expecting it to grow on me more but it hasn’t yet. It’s a good match and Michaels is pretty impressive for his return with his bumping. There are less chinlocks from Michaels also. It is refreshing to see these guys go without a ladder involved. Would have liked to have seen them do a PPV non ladder match to see how much they could have done. Even though Razor is chasing Diesel at this point for IC Title, Michaels manages to pull off the victory. I had wondered about Michaels lack of ring action in 94 with him not doing much on the the PPVs outside of WrestleMania.

• 2 weeks later...

This was quite good. Shawn's bumping was superb and his offense was solid. I didn't like Razor randomly applying Shawn in a bear hug because the psychology felt backwards considering Razor is the face. Most of the exchanges were really good and some of the near falls were timed well. The finish is okay because it continued the Diesel-Razor feud.

Agree more with Kevin on this match as while I thought it was good, it had a bevy of problems. Savage mixes in a lot of court references in the match which is amusing. Shawn bumps like crazy for Razor but Razor controlled too much of the match as we didn’t get a heat segment on him proper until after the second commercial. Then when finally Shawn is in control he results to rest locks. The ending was nice and Diesel was really starting to get pushed big but his post match shots looked pretty weak. Overall good, but considering this was the longest Raw match we have seen so far this year on the yearbook, and how high I am on both of their ladder matches, this disappointed me.

• 1 year later...

Savage is having too much fun referencing the trial. This was pretty good, with really good action down the stretch, but I really didn't see it as being on the level of the recent WCW TV bouts. I continue not to be impressed with Shawn's offense--other than the superkick and the elbow with Razor hanging off the apron, he doesn't offer much. Shawn gets the pin and Razor gets double-teamed during and after the match, to set up the idea that he needs a cornerman for SummerSlam.

• 2 years later...

Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels - WWF RAW 8/1/94

Macho Man is on fire referencing that Vince & WWF had just defeated the US DOJ in court. Vince was great with his false modesty, knowing him, he was loving it. For some mysterious reason, Shawn Michaels has not wrestled since WrestleMania X. It is funny that in time period that is so well-researched that Shawn Michaels' four month absence from in-ring is a completely unexplained. This is a very good RAW match that is given plenty of time. Two things stood out to me, how well Shawn Michaels bumped and how quickly they made sure they went to payoff spots. I think they were always quick to give the fans something to pop for. For example, Shawn Michaels trips up Razor and steps him on, but immediately eats a right hand and takes a big bump. I liked Shawn going to each side of the ring only to eat a fist. Shawn gets a nice eyepoke. I thought Shawn was a pretty good heel in this and used Diesel effectively. They did the shine very interesting with Shawn stringing 2-3 moves, but then getting cutoff. Liked Razor catching and then chucking him into fallaway slam. The catapult bump over the top rope onto Diesel was great, as was the press slam off the top and that HIGH back body drop. It was funny watching Scott Hall work a workrate sprint and really not miss a beat. Good general back work on Michaels. They finally go to heat proper with Razor getting thrown over the top (great bump) and then Diesel getting involved. Michaels' Sweet Chin Music still needs some work, he calls for the Piledriver, but backdropped. The finish stretch is very high-end workrate for the time and WWF. Michaels doing a top rope reverse crossbody. Razor punches Diesel and then ducks Shawn with the belt, but in the commotion eats a boot from Diesel. The match was nothing extraordinary, but I thought Shawn's bumping and setting up and delivering on a lot of payoffs was really cool. Definitely a very good early RAW match. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-01-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon