Pro Wrestling Only

Other 1994 worth watching

jdw

These would be the Carny matches and their sources that are also worth watching:

03/19/94 Korakuen Hall, Tokyo (03/20/94 NTV)

League: Misawa vs Akiyama (13:57)

03/24/94 Hiratsuke (03/27/94 NTV)

League: Hansen vs Kawada (19:38)

04/01/94 Okayama (Carnival Commercial)

League: Kawada vs Akiyama (11:25)

04/10/94 Sendai (Carnival Commercial)

League: Williams vs Akiyama (12:26)

Especially the Kawada-Akiyama and Williams-Akiyama as a contrast to the Kobashi-Akiyama that's on the set. I think these two are quite a bit more compelling and tighter all around matches for Jun than the Kobashi, but it's worth others seeing them. I feel a bit for Doc that his isn't on there: lots of matches on the set for Kobashi to shine, but Doc-Akiyama might be the best example of how great of a worker Doc was in 1994 when not in with the Four Corners.

John

• 3 weeks later...

01/20/94 Misawa & Kobashi & Akiyama vs. Kawada & Taue & Omori (01/30/94 TV)

That really needed to be on the set. More so than one or two of these:

01/07/94 Misawa & Kobashi vs Kawada & Fuchi

01/29/94 Misawa & Kobashi & Baba vs Kawada & Taue & Fuchi

02/19/94 Misawa & Akiyama vs Williams & Eagle

02/19/94 Kobashi & Asako vs Kawada & Omori

In the long run, none of those four really matter. The 1/20 six-man remains the only example of what Omori could have looked like in that setting.

John

Yes, that was a big oversight on my part and should have gone on the set. You definitely talked it up enough that it should have gone on. I wish I remembered the circumstances. I'm not sure if it's something that was cut in haste at the end of a long run of cuts, or if it was something I failed to add to the master list to begin with. It will go on the supplemental.

As for the other four matches that don't really matter, each of those four matches was recommended. The only one that wasn't specifically recommended got ***** in the WON.

If there was only space for 01/20/94 and another match (given 01/20/94 was 26+ minutes of match time that aired), then probably the other six-man because Dave had it at 5*.

The 1/7 match is nice and cool, but Fuchi is in the six-man later in the month... and folks are going to get a TON of Fuchi in the 1990 & 1991 Yearbooks. :)

Still, this just means there some good stuff in the Bonus set. :)

John

The yearbook already has one of the Michaels/Ramon house show ladder matches on it, so it's not an oversight or anything, but I preferred the 1/15/94 ladder match to the 1/14/94 one. It's only about 14 minutes, so they don't have as much time to worry about filling, and (possibly as a result) all of the stuff they do is interesting and fits the flow of the match. I actually prefer it to the WrestleMania one, too, just because the pre-ladder portion is less flashy and more violent than that from WrestleMania, so it doesn't seem like they switch what they're doing all of a sudden when they bring in the ladder. There are none of the ladder moments from Michaels that made him a star, but the match doesn't feel like it needs those.

There's also a Coliseum Video match between the two without the ladder. It's from February (I think), so it could be an interesting comparison to the ladder matches. I wouldn't recommend it, though, because the set already has the RAW match, and also the Coliseum Video match was pretty boring if I remember it correctly.

I'd love to see the 1/15/94 Shawn-Razor on tape... was at the one live. :)

The other one must be this:

WWF @ Springfield, MA - Civic Center - February 2, 1994 (5,000; heavily papered)

WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon pinned Shawn Michaels (w/ Diesel) at 19:56 with a roll up after Diesel accidentally hit the challenger in the face as he attempted to assault an interfering Marty Jannetty; the match originally went to a double count-out at 11:26 when both men began fighting on the floor but Razor grabbed a mic and challenged Michaels to continue the bout; late in the contest, referee Joey Marella was knocked out, allowing Diesel to interfere and use Michaels' fake IC title belt to hit an elbow drop on the champion, knocking Razor out and prompting Jannetty to come ringside and break Michaels' cover (Paul Bearer's Hits from the Crypt)

That actually looks pretty interesting since they did a restart and didn't instantly go to the finish, and instead went another 8:30. That's pretty cool.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Sort of surprised the Mikey/Jack Tag Title win was left off. Not that good a match, but it seems like a kind-of biggish deal to include. Watched it recently and enjoyed it; I kind of liked how the Public Enemy didn't stay on Mikey and use him for the peril guy, but instead just wiped him out so they could work on Jack without any interruptions. The ending parts were done well.

• 1 month later...

2/19/1994 Plum Mariko vs Chigusa Nagayo

5/28/1994 Chigusa Nagayo vs Mayumi Ozaki

1/18/1994 (ECW Title) Terry Funk © vs Shane Douglas

Above 3 I talked about in one of the other threads on the yearbook and for me are the biggest oversights that i'd have really liked to see make the set.

The rest of these aren't extremely major oversights except for maybe Aja/Hokuto in terms of being something super historicly significant or "omg greatest of all time" but just fall into the catagory of really awesome, potentially top 50 matches that i'd have also liked to see make it too.

3/27/1994 Sakie Hasegawa vs Dynamite Kansai

3/27/1994 (All Pacific Title) Toshiyo Yamada © vs Kyoko Inoue

6/19/1994 (Street Fight) Atsushi Onita, Matsunaga & Fumiharu Asako vs Mr. Pogo, The Gladiator & Hideki Hosaka

7/30/1994 Ultimo Dragon & Great Sasuke vs Jinsei Shinzaki & Gedo

8/24/1994 Takako Inoue & Cuty Suzuki vs Devil Masami & Candy Okutsu

11/20/1994 Jaguar Yokota & Bison Kimura vs Lioness Asuka & Yumi Ogura

11/20/1994 Aja vs Hokuto

12/14/1994 Taka vs Great Sasuke

• 1 month later...

Not really something I was gonna go out of my way to recomend given the nature of the yearbook sets but yeah I agree that was a pretty good match and would say it's worth ppl checking out if they can find it. Also really dug LCO vs Kurenai & Nagashima as far as the Big Egg undercard stuff goes.

Thinking about Yamada vs Kandori, don't think they ever did have a singles but have you seen the Hotta/Yamada vs Kandori/Harley Saito match from April?

I have it in my big pile of unwatched shows so haven't seen yet but on paper that looks like an awesome combination.

• 2 weeks later...

Volk Han vs. Andrei Kopylov - RINGS, 10/22/94

This was really good. It's a little weird seeing someone not tap immediately to a cross arm breaker but if you can get past that, this match was terrific. I actually liked this more than their match from 7/92 which I believe made the 1992 yearbook. This was a little shorter and faster paced, had better submissions and counters, and a sweet surprise finish. Very satisfying shoot-style match.

• 1 month later...

4/4/1994

Riki Choshu & Genichiro Tenryu vs Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta & Masahiro Chono

Choshu & Tenryu beat up Mutoh at the start, toss him outside, punk him out & then Tenryu gets on the mic saying they want Muta instead. Frustrated Mutoh walks off to the back to go get him. Not sure if he's ever done the switch mid match before but it's my first time seeing it which is cool. After a few mins of Chono getting beat up Muta comes out and chaos errupts, mist mist mist, elbow, mist, elbow, somehow along the way Choshu gets sprayed which causes him to immediatly pin Chono afterwards because he's Choshu and he can do that. Post match Muta ups the crazy as he's want to do and single handidly beats up Choshu & Tenryu. Mist mist mist mist mist, yellow mist, green mist, stab your head with a giant pole, red mist, chair, mist, destruction. Chono tries to calm him down and gets tossed aside so he walks off hands up. Young boys try to break it up and get tossed around. Shirtless Inoki wanders out and gets misted too. As a match this is pretty decent, as an angle & crazy spectacle it's quite bad ass. Came away wanting to see Muta fight everyone involved in this one on one including Chono.

• 11 months later...

Am I the only one who thinks the 10/30/94 Sasuke vs. Onita match from Michinoku Pro is worth watching? If yes, I think it's probably the most underrated match ever. The wrestling itself isn't anything special (especially for the high 1994 standards), but... come on... it's Sasuke and Onita~! Both men try to avoid hitting the barbed wire. The suspense is great. The Michinoku Pro crowd is going nuts whenever they tease a big bump is about to happen. The finish is dramatic with Onita trying to protect both his opponent Sasuke and referee Ted Tanabe. Maybe I'm just a huge mark for Sasuke and Onita. After the match, Jinsei Shinzaki shows up to carry Sasuke to the back. Is it just me who likes this match? Perhaps it's just a nostalgic thing? Any opinions on this match?

• 3 months later...

Volk Han vs. Andrei Kopylov - RINGS, 10/22/94

This was really good. It's a little weird seeing someone not tap immediately to a cross arm breaker but if you can get past that, this match was terrific. I actually liked this more than their match from 7/92 which I believe made the 1992 yearbook. This was a little shorter and faster paced, had better submissions and counters, and a sweet surprise finish. Very satisfying shoot-style match.

Little shocked this wasn't included on the yearbook. Some of the coolest stuff I've seen from the russian shooters. This was not just a showcase for cool mat stuff (as much as I love cool mat stuff) this was a wild fight that told a story. It was all about Kopylov's explosive power vs. all the things that make Volk Han Volk Han. Kopylov was really just tossing Han around and at one point even did that 70s spot where he body slams him while in an armlock, except he just dumped Volk right on his face. Volk was his usual self but in a desperate mode as he was really using all his quickness and at times seemed to go straight for dislocating Kopylov's shoulder. Match had lots of almost pro style spots like Kopylov riling up the crowd after Han goes to his back as if doing a Zbyszko stall. Finish is suitably brilliant with Han finally avoiding another deadlift. Match was as sharp an exciting as the best New Japan matches from this period, and peppered with all the awesome mat stuff you want from your russians.

If we ever make it to an addendum set, we need to include Vader vs. Sting from Slamboree 1994. That is a matchup that should be included every time the same way we include every Misawa-Kawada or Flair-Steamboat match. Great focus by Vader on the ribs. Great comebacks by Sting that get squashed by nasty counters. Super fun match.