Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So anyone who thinks Cornette isn't full of **** at this point I remembered this and dug it up.

What kind of annoyed me the past year is that when he left TNA he wrote this if anyone remembers - a contract with the fans:

http://jimcornette.com/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=183

And then went back on it. He publicly said nothing when the promotion routinely treated their fans with utter contempt in their communications with them nor did he change the course of the booking when fans expressed their disapproval. Direct quote from the above link:

ROH is a company that will listen to, not scoff at, it's fans' requests. But it needs your support, because NO promotion can thrive without the fans. Want your wrestling back? We want to give it to you! That's why I make this contract with you. I will not forsake you again. Don't forsake Ring of Honor. If you will give us your support, your attention, your dedication, I pledge to you that we will not let you down.

What utter ****.

So who is on board with a class action lawsuit?

So anyone who thinks Cornette isn't full of **** at this point I remembered this and dug it up.

What kind of annoyed me the past year is that when he left TNA he wrote this if anyone remembers - a contract with the fans:

http://jimcornette.com/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=183

And then went back on it. He publicly said nothing when the promotion routinely treated their fans with utter contempt in their communications with them nor did he change the course of the booking when fans expressed their disapproval. Direct quote from the above link:

ROH is a company that will listen to, not scoff at, it's fans' requests. But it needs your support, because NO promotion can thrive without the fans. Want your wrestling back? We want to give it to you! That's why I make this contract with you. I will not forsake you again. Don't forsake Ring of Honor. If you will give us your support, your attention, your dedication, I pledge to you that we will not let you down.

What utter ****.

So who is on board with a class action lawsuit?

LOL

• 1 month later...

According to Wrestlingobserver.com, Ring of Honor officials confirmed today that Jim Cornette is officially on a sabbatical from the promotion.

Cornette reportedly had a blow up at the last TV Tapings in Belle Vernon, PA, and was not scheduled to attend the Final Battle iPPV event. The blow up was described as usual Cornete frustration "but worse," where he expressed issues with problems outside the ring. Within the company there was the belief that he was done, and many within the company feel that he is was suffering from burnout, and had been for some time.

The decision was said to be amicable, and noted it would become obvious soon enough since Cornette wouldn't be at the next event. Hunter Johnston (Delirious), the current booker, who replaced Cornette in the role, will handle the production of television in his absence. At this time, there is no timetable for a potential return.

I am behind and just read the last couple pages of this thread. However, when did ROH ever come across as old school in its presentation or booking under Cornette? Pushing the wrong people and featuring lame or boring wrestlers isn't a staple of an old school product. It's the staple of a bad wrestling product. I think there are tons of us ROH bashers who would have been thrilled if ROH was actually booked like an old school territory with interesting characters.

• 6 months later...

Triple whammy today:

ROH has listened to your complaints and has DROPPED iPPV

The Briscoes may be leaving.

Haven't listened to this yet

Jim Cornette's in on Mike Johnson's show today. Its quite something. He's doing his post-firing burial like he did with WWE and TNA. He goes off on Austin Aries, calling him a miserable motherfucker, he has a go at Kenny King saying he should never have trusted him, he goes off on the ROH fanbase saying they dont have any patience, he says Mike Hogwood and Dave Parzak were the worst announce team he's ever heard. He's ripping on their iPPVs, he goes off on the venues they booked. All of this by starting the interview by saying "I'm not going to knock Ring Of Honor". And I've only listened to the first 20 minutes.

What's the deal with The Briscoe's?

The TV tapings last Sunday were their last scheduled appearances and they have gone on hiatus for an undisclosed amount of time according to Mike Johnson. Bare in mind Jay Briscoe is still World champion. No one seems to know what is going on they may me heading to greener pastures. Also I know one of them has another child on the way but that can't really explain all this.

Well he is right about Austin Aries and Kenny King and mocking them for their IPPVs is just too easy (and deserved) but blaming the fans is serious sour grapes. Yeah ROH fans can be assholes at times but I don't see patience is one of their problems. Ring of Honor has had many a great feud that lasts months and months and don't remember people complaining. Hell Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe must have had 4 or 5 matches in a row it seems and nobody seemed to complain. And apparently Gabe on twitter had similiar views. Here is what he said in copy and paste :

I've heard management blame fans before. Saying F the fans. Saying fans were wrong. They were to blame. It's happened before........but I won't go into detail at the times and places, except to say at one time was one I was out of a company. The second you start blaming the fans and saying the fans are wrong, especially the long time ones, you really need to look in the mirror. When you reach the point that you blame a fanbase, say that fanbase is wrong, it's time to walk away. It's really that simple. You care about the fans and make sure they are entertained.That to me is huge. I would raither spend my money with you..I'm not saying I'm perfect. I'm not saying there's not times I get frustrated with fans or even feel need to comeback on someone, but.......I've never "blamed" fans, paying customers, for not reacting the "right" way, or for having the "wrong" opinion. It's your money, you can spend it wherever you want. The person providing the product owes it to you to do their best to serve you. End of rant

My favorite is the concept that the Steen & Generico feud almost ruined the company. Except for Steen, Generico, and the Briscoes was there anyone else that the fans were really enthralled in

On a happier note Mark James and Jim Cornette are doing a Midnight Express scrapbook type book on the history of merchandising in Memphis Wrestling first available at Charlotte fanfest.

Think Wrestling programs to Vinyl records to photographs.

Jim Cornette estimates that in the 8 years he was doing photography both Lawler and Dundee sold 300,000 photos EACH at $2 a piece.

Member's section of PWInsider.com

It is a real lessening of effect as Cornette has gotten a lot more hostile and negative reactions from those who listened to it compared to his "god damn Russo/Jim Herd" era interviews from fans to wrestlers to announcers. Don't see many people say "good old Corny" , ajtroma.

I know he's getting nowhere near the love he used to, but, I've been waiting for this. You could tell there was some serious hostility being built up inside. I think we all knew that the SBG deal was going to go badly, especially if you've ever been in broadcasting. I remember Bill Berhens podcast episode where he discussed it and knowing that none of the shit that Bill speculated on maybe happening was going to happen. You just knew it. Down deep, I think Cornette knew it too.

Truthfully though, and this isnt meant to be mean, but I think Cornette has got to divorce himself totally from todays wrestling. Elsewise, he may end up killing himself. I mean that in all seriousness too. Not to get too clinical here, but Cornette loved what wrestling was so much and sees how its never going to go back and its eating him alive inside. I hope he has some sort of healthy outlet.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that too. The thing is, once again, the business has changed so much from what Cornette has loved and held dear to what its become now. Cornette is the old man in the room. You might ask him for advice but dont put the whole thing in his lap.

I wonder if Cornette's ability to speak well and cut promos has helped mask a lot of his deficiencies as a booker. The fact that he usually targets unpopular targets (Jim Herd, Vince Russo) has also traditionally helped him earn the support of the hardcore fan community, but after failing so badly with ROH, it's hard to ignore at this point that he is kind of a hack as a booker.

I listened to about half of this interview. He wasnt nearly as venomous as I was expecting. Rather vague at times as well. I wish he'd have just named names and went into gory detail. The deal he talked about that happened in January and the boys got screwed and the TV was screwed up and all that good stuff...what the hell is he talking about?

I was, also, kind of offended. I, as a wrestling fan, being compared to a Republican. Thems fighting words.

I haven't heard the interview yet but it all ties into what I said in the shoots thread about how for his own good, Cornette should be done with doing the angry ranting interviews and just stick to doing/talking about stuff he likes. Which makes me glad he's doing the book with Mark about gimmick table stuff, at least. Still...

Gabe also tweeted this about the interview:

I'm actually getting a little emotional listening to this Jim Cornette interview @pwinsidercom cause I can relate to a lot of what he says as far as getting out of control with your health and then having that epiphany and getting away from the stress.