Pro Wrestling Only

High Flyers Thread

Dylan Waco

Yeah I want to do one for Valentine too and I've got another side project I'm working on, but with the AWA Set out and people enjoying their matches, I really want to do a big results thread for them. It may be slower moving than the Blackwell/Patera stuff, but they are certainly a team that deserves more credit.

Before I get to the results stuff I'll note two things that I found interesting about the Flyers.

The first is that they actually won a PWI tag team of the year award in 1982 and finished in the top four three other times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Wrestling...eam_of_the_Year

I know people will scoff at this, but it's important to remember that PWI - particularly during that period - was a very good indicator of star power in the wrestling business. It's also worth noting that the AWA was NOT a territory that PWI showered with coverage, particularly in comparison to the East Coast promotions.

The other thing I found interesting was this quote from James Melby via Greg Oliver and Steven Johnson's book The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams:

"The High Flyers, when I worked in the wrestling business, were the best tag team in wrestling. In their era nobody compares."

In and of itself that may not mean much and it is possible he was just being kind for some reason. But it is worth noting that Melby is widely regarded as one of the two or three best wrestling historians who ever lived. It doesn't seem likely that Melby would flippantly give them that degree of praise and that degree of praise from him suggests that my touting of them as one of the more underrated/most successful tag teams of all time isn't reaching on my part.

I think Brunzell is the real surprise out of the AWA set so far. I knew Martel was good (though not AS good). I believed people about Blackwell, Debeers, and Buddy. But Brunzell is a guy I never really gave a second thought to. The Killer Bees are not the most dynamic of the 80s WWF babyface teams. I'd watch the Rogs or Harts or yeah, Bulldogs if had a choice, generally, though I have a list of every Brunzell WWF match that probably made tape to check out after the AWA project is done.

I think a big reason the High Flyers don't get the love they deserve is due to Greg Gagne's later years, when AWA was big on ESPN (86-89) and his singles run. I didn't even think that was bad (check out his match with Jumbo in Japan for the AWA Title, good WRESTLING match).

But due to the negativity that is given to him (his physique and look mostly, as that started to matter much more in the later 80's) causes many to lump everything he did, including his tag years earlier, together and just say "He sucks"

I think Greg was great in the ring (except his drop kick, which I hated!)....but I enjoy a lot of WRESTLING, building to a peak where things take off later in the match toward an ending. And Greg was good at that. AWA Champion? No. Part of a GREAT early - mid 80's tag team that could go with ANYONE? Yes.

Brunzell did fuckin rule too...he is one of the most underrated tag wrestlers EVER. The Bee's were a great team to, just didn't get the chance to truly shine. Best Dropkick in the business, EVER.

So, just like Patera.

I don't know if like Patera as it sounds like when I hear or read Patera talked about, a distinction is made between his early work in WWF / AWA and his later WWF / AWA work post jail...He is definitely not thought of well post jail, but his pre-jail years are usually thought of different

Greg, on the other hand, because of what was seen of him in the later 80's automatically applied to his whole career. Almost like people saying "He really held the tag titles back in the day? That MUST have been all his dad's doing as well"

5/4/74 Minneapolis TV

Superstar Billy Graham beat Chi Chi Rosario

Baron Von Raschke beat Tom DeMarco

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bill Howard & Joe Guzman

Larry Hennig beat George Gadaski

Bull Bullinski beat Pancho Vasquez

This is their first appearance as a team that I can find. They worked the following week on tv too and a few other tv tapings I didn’t list later on. As will become obvious there was a slow build for the team in many ways. Both guys had been working in openers and low in the mid-card so “Greg didn’t pay his dues/got pushed purely on nepotism” is something we can cast aside as obvious bullshit.

5/18/74 Minneapolis TV

Ivan Putski beat Armando Rodriguez

Superstar Billy Graham beat Frank Hill

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann & Bob Amel

Larry Hennig beat Caesar Pabon

Baron Von Raschke beat George Gadaski

Not really notable, but Perschmann is Buddy Rose, so of course it’s going to get a bit of a mention from me :)

5/22/74 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Indian Strap Match

Wahoo McDaniel beat Buddy Wolff

Geoff Portz beat Superstar Billy Graham dq after Graham rammed Geoff's head into the ring post

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Hennig & Paul Perschmann

Larry Heiniemi beat Bull Bullinski via pin

As far as I can tell this was their first Arena match together as a tag team. They would work Hennig/Rose in both singles, tags and handicap matches fairly regularly.

5/29/74 Fargo, ND @ Civic Auditorium

Strap Match

Wahoo McDaniel vs Buddy Wolff

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell vs Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman

Ivan Putski vs Larry Heiniemi

Larry Hennig beat Bull Bullinski

Mildly interesting as the Flyers are working second from the top against two guys that were presented pretty strongly during the period. Probably the first time they were presented on a card in a “drawing capacity” though Fargo was not a major town.

6/6/74 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Indian Strap Match with Buddy Wolff strapped to Ivan Putski outside the ring

Wahoo McDaniel beat Larry Heinemi

Ivan Putski beat Superstar Billy Graham dq

Ray Stevens beat Gene Kiniski dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Pershmann & Buddy Wolff 2/3

1. Buddy Wolff won 1st fall

2. Gagne & Brunzell won 2nd fall

3. Gagne & Brunzell won 3rd fall

Baron Von Raschke beat Geoff Portz by submission with a claw hold

Horst Hoffman beat Bull Bullinski by submission with a claw hold

Mike Snyder beat Bobby Jones 12:00

6/8/74 St Paul, MN @ Auditorium

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Wahoo McDaniel & Dick Murdoch 2/3

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Hennig & Paul Perschmann

Baron Von Raschke beat Bull Bullinski

Horst Hoffman beat Billy Howard via pin

Geoff Portz beat Caesar Pavlon via pin

att: 9,000+ SRO

The Flyers are getting the “up and coming” babyface act push, solidly in the mid-card but not really a major part of the shows. The number for St. Paul is very good for this time period.

6/12/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

10th Anniversary Show

Steel Cage Match, Special Referee: George Gadaski

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat The Crusher & Wahoo McDaniel to regain the AWA Tag Team Title when Stevens pinned McDaniel in 16:12

Ivan Putski beat Superstar Billy Graham dq in 7:19 when Baron Von Raschke interfered and pounded Putski

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff 2/3

1. Wolff beat Brunzell in 11:22

2. Heiniemi & Wolff were dq'ed at 3:13 for tossing Gagne over the top rope

3. Brunzell pinned Wolff in 5:32

Baron Von Raschke beat Geoff Portz in 21:59

Kay Noble (sub Cora Combs) beat Vivian Vachon via pin in 12:14

Larry Hennig beat Paul Perschmann via pin in 8:00

att: 7,206

Note: Crusher & Wahoo were billed as the AWA Tag Team Champions by two different newspapers going into this match. Both papers reported Bockwinkel & Stevens regained the AWA Tag Team Title from Crusher & Wahoo.

Strong number for Denver during the period. The card is solid up top, with Flyers again working third from the top, albeit in a decidedly complimentary role. It is notable to pay attention to these main events though as it shows you how strong tag matches were promoted/could draw in the AWA if you had stars or teams that were over.

6/15/74 Minneapolis TV

Wahoo McDaniel beat Inca Peru

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Bob Amel & Peter Lee

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Billy Howard & Percy Pringle

Larry Hennig beat Tom DeMarco

Billy Robinson beat Frank Diamond

Superstar Billy Graham beat Chi Chi Rosario

6/15/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Arena

The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke were co-winners of a two ring 24 man $50,000 battle royal

Nick Bockwinkel drew Wahoo McDaniel

Baron Von Raschke beat Frank Nixon

Superstar Billy Graham beat Oddjob via pin

Larry Hennig beat Bull Bullinski via pin

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Blackjack Lanza & Paul Perschmann

also in Battle Royal: Geoff Portz, Ray Stevens, Horst Hoffman, Andre Rousimoff, Larry Heiniemi, Chris Taylor, Buddy Wolff, Billy Robinson, Ivan Putski, Moose Cholak, Ken Patera.

att: 10,550

Was this the Percy Pringle? Lanza was the guy Rose emulated the most at during this time period if you believe him so it must have been cool for him to team with him here. Flyers work the opener on a show with a battle royal which always did well in the AWA and Crusher in Milwaukee which was huge during this period.

6/29/74 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Ivan Putski beat Superstar Billy Graham COR

Billy Robinson beat Larry Heiniemi via pin

Handicap Match, Hennig must beat both men within 20 minute time limit

Larry Hennig beat Jim Brunzell in 13:00 but was unable to beat Greg Gagne in the remaining 7:00

Vivian Vachon beat Mars Monroe via pin

Bull Bullinski beat Tom DeMarco via pin

Paul Perschmann beat Doug Somers via pin

att: 6,426

It’s interesting to me that they went to these handicap matches on a lot of shows during this run. In a way it probably worked well as a way to further build the credibility of Brunzell and Gagne.

7/12/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Ivan Putski beat Billy Graham dq in 10:15 when the referee caught Graham using brass knuckles

The Crusher beat Ray Stevens dq in 12:00 after Stevens jumped off the top rope onto Crusher

Billy Robinson beat Baron Von Raschke dq in 14:55 when Baron tossed Billy over the top rope

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Hennig & Paul Perschmann 2/3

att: 5,112

7/13/74 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Special Referee: Don Curtis

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Billy Robinson & Geoff Portz 2/3

Verne Gagne & Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Hennig & Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff

Wilbur Snyder beat Bull Bullinski 15:45

Paul Perschmann beat Kenny Jay

att: 5,320

Interesting six-man here that was positioned second from the top largely on the strength of Verne’s involvement. This is actually a fairly average figure for Summer in the AWA in the Twin Cities at this point.

7/20/74 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

Billy Robinson beat AWA Champion Verne Gagne 2/3

(no title change, Gagne's foot ruled to be on rope)

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat The Crusher & Wahoo McDaniel 2/3

Ivan Putski beat Baron Von Raschke dq

Mitsu Arakawa beat Moose Cholak dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff 2/3

Mike Snyder beat Paul Perschmann

7/27/74 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Superstar Billy Graham & Baron Von Raschke beat the Crusher & Ivan Putski 2/3

Ray Stevens beat Wahoo McDaniel via pin

Nick Bockwinkel beat Billy Robinson dq

Larry Hennig beat Buddy Wolff

Horst Hoffman beat Bull Bullinski via pin

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Billy Howard & Paul Perschmann

Working deep underneath now, but both of these cards are stacked shows. You get the feeling they are just looking to find the right opponent for them.

8/9/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

The Crusher & Ivan Putski beat Superstar Billy Graham & Baron Von Raschke 2/3

1. Crusher pinned Von Raschke

2. Von Raschke beat Crusher

3. Putski pinned Graham

Ray Stevens beat Billy Robinson

Handicap Match: Larry Hennig must beat both Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell in 20 minutes

Larry Hennig beat Jim Brunzell via pin in 9:10 but could not beat Greg Gagne within the 20:00 time limit so Gagne & Brunzell were declared the winners

Horst Hoffman beat Bull Bullinski by submission with a claw hold

att: 5,212

Another one of those handicap matches.

8/10/74 Minneapolis TV

Ivan Putski beat Bill Howard

Larry Hennig beat Julio Rodriguez

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Bull Bullinski beat Pancho Vasquez

Kenny Jay beat Angel Rivera

Unusual tv match between two teams of some note, though obviously the Flyers will still very green as a unit. I don’t know this but I assume they did some injury angle involving Greg here as he was off most shows for the next month and Brunzell was working singles.

9/12/74 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat AWA Tag Team Champions The Crusher & Billy Robinson dq

Ivan Putski beat The Brute

Chris Taylor beat Horst Hoffman

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Pershmann & Khosrow Vaziri

Dave Muir beat Frenchy Dubois

Att: 7,231

Good number in Winnipeg for a solid tag main event. Note that Buddy is teaming with Sheik v. Flyers here.

9/13/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Horst Hoffman beat The Crusher via pin in 9:50

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Larry Hennig dq

Billy Robinson beat Buddy Wolff via pin

Bobby Heenan beat Jim Brunzell

att: 4,897

Note: Another listing has The Crusher winning the main event

Not a particularly good number in Denver, but not awful either. Interesting as they team Greg with Larry up top and work Brunzell against Heenan in the undercard.

9/14/74 Minneapolis, MN

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan beat Larry Hennig & Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Horst Hoffman beat Billy Robinson dq

Handicap Match

Ivan Putski drew Buddy Wolff & Paul Perschmann

Chris Taylor beat Khosrow Vaziri

Yugo Babich beat Bull Bullinski

att: 5,189

The first real involvement of the High Flyers in a main event match. Average number.

9/16/74 Davenport, IA @ John O'Donnell Stadium

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens drew Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell 20:00

Buddy Wolff drew Geoff Portz

Larry Hennig beat Yugo Babich dq

The first time the Flyers work a main event without a partner. Note that this is an outdoor show in a baseball stadium. I actually know someone who attended this show and he claims it was a capacity crowd, but that can’t be documented and I would be somewhat skeptical of it (capacity probably would have been 5-6k depending on if they allowed seating on the field).

9/20/74 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Larry Hennig beat Ray Stevens

Nick Bockwinkel beat Geoff Portz (sub Billy Robinson)

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bobby Heenan & Paul Perschmann 2-0

Khosrow Vaziri drew Yugo Babich

Fuck this is maybe my all time “which footage existed” heel tag team.

9/21/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Arena

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat AWA Tag Team Champions The Crusher & Billy Robinson dq

European rules match

Horst Hoffman beat Ivan Putski

Geoff Portz beat Stan Pulaski

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann & Billy Howard

att: 8,870

Milwaukee really was the best AWA town during this era easily. The Flyers still aren’t getting anything of note in that town.

9/28/74 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Horst Hoffman dq when Hoffman refused to release a claw hold on Gagne while both were outside the ring at 26:00

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens when Nick & Ray swere unable to beat Greg & Jim within 20 minutes

Billy Robinson beat Stan Pulaski 16:30

Geoff Portz beat Bull Bullinski 13:20

Bob Backlund beat Billy Howard

Vivian Vachon beat Mars Monroe 11:15

att: 5,101

Another average number in the twin cities, with the Flyers surviving in a time limit challenge second from the top.

9/29/74 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

AWA Tag Team Champions The Crusher & Billy Robinson beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens 2/3

1. Bockwinkel & Stevens won 1st fall

2. Crusher & Robinson won 2nd fall

3. Crusher & Robinson won 3rd fall

Larry Hennig beat Larry Heiniemi

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bobby Heenan & Paul Perschmann 2-0

Geoff Portz drew Buddy Wolff

Crusher still rules Wisconsin. Flyers v. Heenan/Rose 2/3 falls – even straight falls – seems to awesome to actually exist.

10/4/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Horst Hoffman via pin

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Larry Heiniemi beat Larry Hennig

Buddy Wolff beat Geoff Portz

att: 3,117

Not a good number in Denver. I question how much people bought Hoffman as a challenger, but you can’t absolve Flyers v. Bock/Stevens entirely.

10/5/74 Minneapolis, MN

AWA Tag Team Champions The Crusher & Billy Robinson beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Larry Hennig no contest Larry Heiniemi

Horst Hoffman beat Chris Taylor COR

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Yugo Babich & Stan Pulaski

Back down the card in Minneapolis.

10/9/74 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School

Larry Hennig & Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan

Kim Duk beat ?

George Gadaski beat ?

Note: El Bracero Jose Martine lost to either Duk or Gadaski.

Spot show main event.

10/17/74 Cheyenne, WY

The Crusher beat Nick Bockwinkel

Ray Stevens beat Larry Hennig

Geoff Portz beat Paul Perschmann

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff

10/18/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Larry Hennig & Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan

AWA Tag Team Champions Billy Robinson & the Crusher beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff

att: 3,567

Another less than impressive figure in Denver, though I don’t think it was horrible for the time period. Slightly up from the previous show without an AWA title match on the card at all and another six-man main event for the High Flyers.

10/19/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Horst Hoffman beat the Crusher COR

Chris Taylor beat Buddy Wolff

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Ivan Putski beat Yugo Babich

Geoff Portz beat George Gadaski

att: 6,112 sellout

This is the smaller venue in Milwaukee and no surprise it sells out with Crusher on top. Interesting that Chris Taylor worked the semi-man over Bock/Stevens here. Verne and his amateur fetish?

10/23/74 Peoria, IL

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Ivan Putski beat Buddy Wolff

Chris Taylor beat Yugo Babich

Bobby Heenan beat Tom DeMarco

10/26/74 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Larry Hennig beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan

Horst Hoffman beat Ivan Putski

Chris Taylor beat Baron Von Raschke dq

Geoff Portz drew ?

Another couple of smaller market main events. You get the sense that Verne trust them as a go to for spot shows, but isn’t sold (rightfully at this point) that they can do much in the big towns.

10/27/74 St Paul, MN

Non Title

Verne Gagne & Larry Hennig beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson dq

European Rules

Ivan Putski drew Horst Hoffman in 5 rounds

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Yugo Babich & Paul Perschmann

Boris Breznikoff beat Doug Somers

att: 6,233

Pretty good number for the era with the Flyers out of the main event picture in the bigger market.

11/2/74 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell COR

Billy Robinson & Ivan Putski & Chris Taylor beat Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman & Larry Heiniemi

Mil Mascaras beat Yugo Babich

Geoff Portz beat Torpedo Guzman

I would be really interested to see a number for this show. It’s possible that Mascaras could have drawn some, but on paper this looks like a show that could have been a disaster. This comes across like a real test of the Gagne/Brunzell’s ability to work on top in the bigger towns.

11/9/74 Minneapolis TV

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Yugo Babich & Paul Perschmann

Horst Hoffman beat Armando Rodriguez

Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff beat Caesar Pabon & Bob Amel

Interesting tv main event.

11/9/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman beat The Crusher & Billy Robinson

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Frank Hill

Following the test in the Twin Cities area they get booked second from the top in Milwaukee. Of course Crusher draws this house, but it is interesting to see the feeling out process.

11/16/74 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center Auditorium

Larry Hennig & Ivan Putski & Chris Taylor beat Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman & Superstar Billy Graham 2/3

Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell COR

Geoff Portz drew Larry Heiniemi 20:00

Yugo Babich beat George Gadaski via pin

Rock Riddle beat Kenny Jay

att: 5,817

They stay hovering near the top in the Twin Cities, but not in the driver’s seat.

11/23/74 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

Dick the Bruiser no contest the Sheik

Boris Breznikoff beat Larry Hennig

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Mitsu Arakawa & Kim Duk

Pepper Gomez beat Big K

Rock Riddle drew Clem Turner

Mike Snyder beat Mark Manson

This is actually a better position than it looks on paper as they are working “evil foreigners” in a major town one of whom had been a major tag star in the area in years previous. Odd to see how light this show was on their top names.

11/29/74 Sheboygan, WI @ Municipal Armory

Arm Wrestling

Superstar Billy Graham beat Ivan Putski

Ivan Putski beat Superstar Billy Graham dq in 24:11

Larry Hennig beat Larry Heiniemi 2/3

1. Hennig pinned Heiniemi

2. Heiniemi beat Hennig

3. Hennig pinned Heiniemi

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Paul Perschmann (subs for Yugo Babich & Rock Riddle) 2/3 in 28:40

1. Brunzell won 1st fall with a submission hold in 10:20

2. Heiniemi pinned Brunzell in 20:40

3. Gagne & Brunzell won 3rd fall in 28:40

Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann via pin in 12:16

att: 3,431

Looks like this is a case of the Flyers working on the bottom in a hot opener. That Putski v. Graham match sounds horrifyingly long on paper.

12/6/74 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

The Crusher beat Boris Breznikoff dq

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Wilbur Snyder & Pepper Gomez

Arm Wrestling

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann & Rock Riddle

Larry Heiniemi beat Clem Turner

Geoff Portz beat Big K

Back down the card in Chicago for a much more heavily loaded show.

12/14/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat the Crusher & Ivan Putski

Boris Breznikoff beat Larry Hennig dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Rock Riddle & Yugo Babich

Chris Taylor beat Baron Von Raschke

Geoff Portz beat Bob Sweetan

12/26/74 Moline, IL @ Wharton Field House

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Hennig

Ivan Putski beat Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Yugo Babich & Boris Breznikoff

12/27/74 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

No dq, No Time Limit Match

The Crusher beat Boris Breznikoff

Baron Von Raschke beat Superstar Billy Graham

Ivan Putski beat Buddy Wolff 2/3

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Yugo Babich & Rock Riddle 2-0

att: 4,327

It’s interesting to see this Babich/Riddle program. They are sliding back down the cards some and you wonder how or if this was set up on tv.

12/28/74 Minneapolis, MN

The Crusher & Ivan Putski no contest AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens

Khosrow Vaziri & Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff & Rock Riddle

Larry Hennig beat Boris Breznikoff

Baron Von Raschke beat Scotty Campbell

Geoff Portz beat Yugo Babich

att: 5,276

Twin Cities Christmas show does decent with the Flyers in a bizarre six-man semi-main behind a main that looks like it would have drawn more on paper.

12/29/74 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

The Crusher beat Boris Breznikoff in 12:20

Superstar Billy Graham beat Baron Von Raschke dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff

Pepper Gomez drew Dale Lewis

Sailor Art Thomas beat Big K

Paul Perschmann drew Caesar Pablon

12/30/74 Fargo, ND @ Civic Auditorium

Nick Bockwinkel beat Larry Hennig dq

Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Big K beat George Gadaski

Bob Remus beat Kenny Jay

They circle back to Heiniemi/Wolf who they had worked some earlier in the year.

74 is a kind of test year for The High Flyers as they introduce them to the promotion, put them in there with some top guys, some mid-card guys and some undercard guys. They get a few main events and flirt with the top of the card at times, but are more accurately solid mid-carders for the bulk of the year. Total number of main events = 7. Total number of major market main events = 3. I’ll try and keep track of that and some other rough stats going forward though it is deceptive as at times you can easily argue The Flyers working second from the top was the draw and other times working on top were splitting the weight with a match beneath them.

Jim Ross put over Greg as a really good wrestler on the Legends show and his blog. He thinks he would have been been better off long term, if he had a run or two in another territory.

Greg mentioned in his shoot that the WWF offered him to come up (not sure if this was with Brunzell or not) to work there, but he wouldn't leave as the AWA was "family" business..

So the chances were there...

He also mentioned being in St. Louis for a few shows but getting a HORRIBLE payoff from Sam Muchnick and never going back.

1/9/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

The Crusher & Ivan Putski & Larry Hennig beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens & Boris Breznikoff 2/3

1. Heenan pinned Hennig

2. Hennig won 2nd fall

3. Putski pinned Breznikoff

Referee Merv Hunter

Billy Graham no contest Baron Von Raschke 12:00

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Lars Anderson & Buddy Wolff when the time limit expired in the 3rd fall

Geoff Portz beat Ivan Crankovic 11:00

Scotty Campbell beat Bob Tuck

Att: 7,000

There first listed date of the year. This is a pretty strong number for Winnipeg during this period, though the Flyers are presented as more of a solid mid-card act than anything else here.

1/11/75 Peoria, IL

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Cowboy Lang beat ??

Geoff Portz beat Khosrow Vaziri

Tom Demarco beat Raul Guzman

Jesus talk about a one match show. I am a Cowboy Lange fan, but when that is your semi-main things are looking rough.

1/19/75 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Baron Von Raschke beat Superstar Billy Graham COR (ref was Bullinski)

Ivan Putski beat Horst Hoffman dq

Larry Hennig beat Big K

Khosrow (Carmen) Vaziri beat George Gadaski

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Rock Riddle & Buddy Wolff

Boris Breznikoff vs Mystery Opponent

2/1/75 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Superstar Billy Graham beat Horst Hoffman

Dusty Rhodes beat Nick Bockwinkel

Baron Von Raschke beat Ivan Putski dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan COR

Geoff Portz beat Rock Riddle

Att: 6,112 sellout

I think it’s worth noting that Dusty v. Bock was not on top here to give you an idea of how AWA shows would often times not officially be headlined by matches that are pretty clearly headline level matches. Heenan/Breznikoff was a fairly common opponent for the Flyers at this point and Greg was often working Bobby in singles matches on cards where he and Brunzell weren’t booked as a team.

2/6/75 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell 2/3

1. Brunzell pinned Bockwinkel

2. Bockwinkel won by pin

3. Bockwinkel won by pin

Superstar Billy Graham ddq Baron Von Raschke when both men charged at referee Danny Loos

Boris Breznikoff beat Geoff Portz 12:01

Dusty Rhodes beat Buddy Wolff via pin in 11:24

Major market main event here. Would be nice to have a number of course, but you are starting to see this match up creep into the top slot of more towns.

2/7/75 Sheboygan, WI @ Municipal Auditorium

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens on a 3rd fall dq

1. Gagne & Brunzell won 1st fall in 6:14

2. Bockwinkel & Stevens won 2nd fall in 13:20

3. Stevens sluuged the referee

Horst Hoffman beat Larry Hennig via pin in 14:55

Dusty Rhodes beat Buddy Wolff via pin in 18:42

Geoff Portz beat Khosrow Vaziri via pin in 19:45

att: 2,592

Like for example Sheboygan  Pretty sure I’ve seen figures considerably higher than this in Sheboygan though I could be wrong and this is not a particularly strong card.

2/8/75 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Horst Hoffman beat Superstar Billy Graham dq when Dusty Rhodes interfered

Baron Von Raschke beat Dusty Rhodes

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan

Bull Bullinski beat Rock Riddle

Down the card some at the home base.

2/11/75 Moline, IL @ Wharton Field House

Dusty Rhodes beat Horst Hoffman

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Larry Hennig beat Nick Bockwinkel & Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan

One of the two matches listed, which tells you this probably had a weak undercard.

2/13/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Superstar Billy Graham & Dusty Rhodes beat Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman

Ivan Putski beat Nick Bockwinkel dq when Bockwinkel jumped off the top rope on to Putski

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Larry Heiniemi & Buddy Wolff when Gagne beat Heiniemi by submission with the sleeper hold in 28:00

Larry Hennig drew Boris Breznikoff 20:00

Geoff Portz beat Khosrow Vaziri

Ivan Crankovic beat Joe Corona

att: 5,118

Attendance is back down to Earth in Winnipeg with no Crusher on the card, though this is still not a bad number.

2/15/75 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell on a 3rd fall dq when Gagne came off the top rope on to Bockwinkel

Dusty Rhodes beat Horst Hoffman

Billy Robinson beat Larry Heiniemi

Khosrow Vaziri beat Paul Perschmann

Att: 4,214

This is not a good number for St. Paul in this era, but not a terrible one either. I would note this is a Civic Center show which meant a lot of empty seats. Curious why they were back and forth between buildings in the Twin Cities area so much during this period.

2/18/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke beat Ivan Putski

Billy Robinson beat Boris Breznikoff dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann & Buddy Wolff

Horst Hoffman beat Geoff Portz

Strange card on paper as Hoffman who had been working some up top is working bare bottom, Bock is in the middle and a battle of the ethnics is up top. Looks sort of like a “throw stuff to the wall and see where it sticks” show.

2/20/75 Cheyenne, WY @ Storey Gym

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens 2/3

Boris Breznikoff beat Larry Hennig

Geoff Portz vs Buddy Wolff

Khosrow Vaziri vs Joe Scarpello

2/25/75 Moline, IL @ Wharton Field House

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Billy Robinson beat Bobby Heenan

Pepper Gomez beat Don Fargo

Bull Bullinski beat Rock Riddle

Couple of main events here in the b-towns. It’s notable that Wharton held 6k plus for wrestling though I don’t know of any figures from that venue.

3/1/75 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell on a 3rd fall COR

Baron Von Raschke no contest Andre the Giant

Billy Robinson drew Boris Breznikoff 20:00

Horst Hoffman beat Larry Hennig

Geoff Portz beat Frank Hill

Dick Reynolds beat Rock Riddle

Att: 6,112 sellout

A sellout for the Flyers as main eventers which is great BUT – this is Milwaukee which was still the AWA’s hottest/most consistent town at that point AND Andre is on the show. Andre is a massive draw in the AWA literally and figuratively.

3/5/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman beat Superstar Billy Graham & Ivan Putski 2/3

1. Putski beat Von Raschke in 6:15

2. Raschke beat Putski in 10:58

3. Hoffman beat Graham in 25:32

Andre the Giant beat Boris Breznikoff via pin in 13:02

Greg Gagne beat Buddy Wolff dq in 26:01when Wolff tossed Gagne over the top rope

Jim Brunzell beat Billy Howard (sub Khosrow Vaziri) via pin in 18:30

Bobby Heenan beat Bull Bullinski via pin in 16:10

att: 8,420

I included this to give further evidence of Andre as drawing card and to show what the Flyers were doing on a lot of these shows where they weren’t paired with each other.

3/6/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Dusty Rhodes & Billy Graham & Andre the Giant beat Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman & Boris Breznikoff when Rhodes pinned Breznikoff in 30:00

Non Title Handicap Match, If Bockwinkel & Stevens can't beat Gagne & Brunzell within the 20:00 time limit, Greg & Jim will be declared the winners and will earn a Tag Title shot on a future Winnipeg card.

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens 20:00 so Greg & Jim were declared the winners

Billy Robinson beat Buddy Wolff 19:00

Ivan Putski beat Geoff Portz 9:00

Ali Vaziri beat Bobby Jones 7:00

Scotty Campbell drew Joe Corona

I almost guarantee you this card did close to 10k as Andre seemed to do particularly well in Winnipeg. I think it speaks well of the Flyers that they are going to the as opponents of Stevens/Bock in almost all of the major towns at this point. Here they set up an angle for a future title match and while they are clearly not the main drawing card on the show, it’s safe to say it was a match hat had fan interest and was positioned to try and get a good number when Andre wasn’t around.

3/14/75 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Andre The Giant beat Boris Breznikoff

Billy Robinson drew Baron Von Raschke

Buddy Wolff beat Khosrow Vaziri

Another main event.

3/15/75 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel

Billy Robinson beat Dr. Big Bill Miller

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan

Handicap Match

Chris Taylor beat Jimmy Valiant & Paul Perschmann

Mike Snyder beat Rock Riddle

Bobby Bold Eagle beat Johnny Kace

These Chicago lineups were extremely interesting as they were often double, triple and later even quadruple main events of sorts. They also brought in/back a lot of the older talents for these shows as they did with Miller here in the semi-main. Heenan subbing for Bock so he could get a title shot makes sense and would have worked well as a match just below top billing.

3/16/75 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens on a 3rd fall dq

Ivan Putski beat Boris Breznikoff

Handicap Match

Chris Taylor beat Rock Riddle & Bobby Heenan

Geoff Portz drew Khosrow Vaziri

You know the drill – another market where these teams work each other up top.

3/25/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke beat Superstar Graham via pin in the 3rd fall after Horst Hoffman distracted Graham allowing Raschke to hit Graham from behind

1. Raschke beat Graham a face claw

2. Graham pinned Raschke after of series of elbow smashes

3. Raschke pinned Graham

Billy Robinson beat Nick Bockwinkel via pin

Horst Hoffman beat Khosrow Vaziri (sub Chris Taylor)

Boris Breznikoff & Bobby Heenan beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Joe Scarpello (sub Khosrow Vaziri) beat Rock Riddle

Note: Taylor was reportedly snowbound in Michigan

Bizarre to see how everyone gets booked in Omaha relative to some of the other towns. The Flyers jobbing to that team at this point is just odd.

3/27/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell on a 3rd fall COR

1. Brunzell pinned Stevens in 8:00

2. Stevens pinned Gagne at the 10:00 mark

3. Gagne & Brunzell were counted out of the ring

Billy Robinson beat Boris Breznikoff 20:00

Dusty Rhodes beat Baron Von Raschke via pin in 14:00 after an elbow smash

Chris Taylor beat Rock Riddle via pin in 6:00 after a body slam

Buddy Wolff beat Scotty Campbell 12:30

AWA Women's Champion Betty Niccoli beat Jean Antone 10:00

Jean Antone beat Pam Riddel to earn a shot against AWA Women's Champion Betty Niccoli

Shame we don’t have a number for this as it was built as the main event from the previous show with Andre. No way they did an Andre level number but something 6500 or up would have to be seen as a strong plus.

4/12/75 St Paul, MN @ Auditorium

Superstar Billy Graham & Dusty Rhodes & Andre the Giant beat Baron Von Raschke & Horst Hoffman & Boris Breznikoff 2/3

Nick Bockwinkel beat Billy Robinson dq when Robinson tossed Bockwinkel over the top rope

Chris Taylor beat Geoff Portz

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Kenny Jay & George Gadaski

Khosrow Vaziri beat Rock Riddle

att: 5,340

Note: Robinson reportedly received a $500 fine for tossing Bockwinkel over the top rope

Gotta love the Flyers getting a random undercard match v. two career jobbers on the home front.

4/22/75 Moline, IL @ Wharton Field House

Dusty Rhodes & Superstar Billy Graham beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Horst Hoffman & Buddy Wolff

4/26/75 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

Billy Robinson beat Nick Bockwinkel

Bobby Heenan beat Ivan Putski COR

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Horst Hoffman & Buddy Wolff

Dusty Rhodes beat Boris Breznikoff

Khosrow Vaziri beat Billy Howard

Att: 3,997

The Twin Cities shows continue to be sort of middling at best. I could be wrong on the capacity in these venues of course, but this seems like mediocre number for the home base.

5/1/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

Dusty Rhodes & Ivan Putski (sub Billy Graham) beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens 2-0 to win the title

1. Rhodes beat Stevens in 5:00

2. Putski beat Bockwinkel

The decision was overturned days later as manager Bobby Heenan stated that Bockwinkel and Stevens were contracted to defend against Rhodes and Billy Graham. The belts were returned to Bockwinkel & Stevens as a result.

British Empire Champion Billy Robinson beat Guy Mitchell 28:00

Handicap Match, Putski must beat Heenan with in the 10 minute time limit or Ivan will lose the match

Ivan Putski drew Bobby Heenan 10:00 so Heenan was declared the winner

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Buddy Wolff (sub Baron Von Raschke) & Horst Hoffman when the 30:00 time limit expired in the 3rd fall

1. Brunzell won 1st fall

2. Wolff beat Brunzell

3. The time limit expired before either team could score the winning fall

Moose Morowski beat Yugo Babich 11:00

This is a bit of a tumble from the semi-main and main on the previous two Winnipeg shows, though not uncommon for even a hot tag team in the AWA.

5/17/75 Davenport TV

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Rock Riddle & Julio Rodriguez

Horst Hoffman beat ? Cortez

Ivan Putski beat Angel Rivera

Nick Bockwinkel beat Fred Torres

Billy Robinson beat Paul Perschmann

Tossed this in here to note they were working almost exclusively on tv as tag teams during this period, despite the fact that they weren’t tagging on every show. I.E they were still being presented as a tag team during this entire run.

5/18/75 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

Loaded Glove Match

Dusty Rhodes (sub Superstar Billy Graham) beat Baron Von Raschke

Handicap Match, Putski must win in 10 minutes or lose the bout

Bobby Heenan beat Ivan Putski COR

Billy Robinson (sub Dusty Rhodes) beat Nick Bockwinkel via pin

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Buddy Wolff & Boris Breznikoff

1. Wolff & Breznikoff won 1st fall

2. Gagne & Brunzell won 2nd fall

3. Gagne & Brunzell won 3rd fall

Horst Hoffman beat Geoff Portz with the claw hol

That main event sounds hilarious. The Flyers are working underneath on a show that looks pretty wild on paper.

5/24/75 Peoria, IL

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq

Billy Robinson beat Horst Hoffman

Buddy Wolff beat Khosrow Vaziri

They main event in Peoria again.

5/29/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq when Ray jumped off the top rope onto referee Al DeRusha

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson dq when Robinson tossed Baron over the top rope

Chris Taylor (sub Ivan Putski) beat Boris Breznikoff via pin in 7:26

Buddy Wolff beat Bull Bullinski via pin in 10:20

Khosrow Vaziri beat Rock Riddle via pin in 14:50

att: 3,612

Far from a high number in Omaha but it’s very hard to say how good or bad it was for the year at this point. The Flyers have not been booked strongly in Omaha all year so it’s somewhat surprising they got the main event here.

5/31/75 Minneapolis, MN @ Auditorium

AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Dusty Rhodes & Larry Hennig

Billy Robinson no contest Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Rock Riddle & Frankie Hill

Khosrow Vaziri drew Buddy Wolff

att: 3,183

I don’t see any way this could be considered a good figure. Flyers are really doing nothing here.

6/8/75 Duluth, MN @ Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Ray Stevens & Bobby Heenan

Dusty Rhodes beat Buddy Wolff dq

Billy Robinson beat Ali Vaziri

Bull Bullinski beat Paul Perschmann

Another main event in Duluth, this time with Heenan in the Bock slot.

6/12/75 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Billy Robinson COR

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bobby Heenan & Ray Stevens

Dusty Rhodes beat Siegfried Steinke

Ivan Putski beat Buddy Wolff dq

Roddy Piper beat Scotty Campbell

Att: 3,800

Poor number for Winnipeg even in the Summer. When you consider that this had a Verne title match it’s even worse. Bock isn’t on the show and you wonder if he would have made a difference.

6/28/75 St Paul, MN @ Auditorium

AWA Champion Verne Gagne no contest Baron Von Raschke 25:00

Chris Taylor beat Mad Dog Vachon COR 15:20

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Mitsu Arakawa & Kim Duk

Larry Hennig beat Ivan Crankovic

Bull Bullinski beat Frank Hill

On the home front the Flyers get a solid mid-card match against evil foreigners, including something of a regional legend in Arakawa.

7/11/75 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Dusty Rhodes beat Ray Stevens 2/3

Handicap Match

Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel

Ivan Putski beat Baron Von Raschke dq in 13:28

Jim Brunzell drew Bobby Heenan

Kim Duk beat Bull Bullinski in 10:34

Wanted to include this again to show what they were doing on some of these cards where they weren’t booked together. Lots of cases of one guy working Heenan and other paired against Bock or someone else.

7/16/75 Davenport, IA @ John O'Donnell Stadium

Bobby Heenan handcuffed to Larry Hennig at ringside

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Billy Robinson beat Mitsu Arakawa & Kim Duk & Buddy Wolff

Baron Von Raschke beat Larry Hennig dq

This is a pretty strong outdoor card on paper though the full undercard isn’t listed. The Flyers are in a novelty 6-man semi-main that looks fun on paper.

7/20/75 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

Chris Taylor & Ivan Putski & Dusty Rhodes beat Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan & Baron Von Raschke (sub Ray Stevens)

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Buddy Wolff & Kim Duk

Jimmy Valiant (sub Baron Von Raschke) beat Larry Hennig

Bull Bullinski beat George Gadaski (sub Paul Perschmann)

Another strange card.

7/22/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Verne Gagne & Greg Gagne beat Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan

Baron Von Raschke beat Larry Hennig

Billy Robinson beat Paul Perschmann

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant drew Chris Taylor & Jim Brunzell

Buddy Wolff beat Bull Bullinskiat Paul Perschmann

I note this because Greg was moved up to some main slots teaming with Verne during this period and this is a good example. The Valiants were being groomed for a solid run, so Jim isn’t exactly being wasted.

8/13/75 Pekin, IL

Nick Bockwinkel beat Billy Robinson

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat Jos Leduc & Pampero Firpo

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Kim Duk & Buddy Wolff

Working a spot show opener is pretty rare for the High Flyers at this point but there you have it.

8/19/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

AWA Champion Verne Gagne no contest Billy Robinson

Loser Leaves Town

Nick Bockwinkel beat Bull Bullinski

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Kim Duk & Buddy Wolff

Bobby Heenan beat Paul Perschmann (sub Jos Leduc)

They are working the Duk/Wolff team on a lot of shows, presumably to get re-established after failing to capture the tag titles in a program that played in every market of note.

8/23/75 Davenport TV

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bob Amel & Juan Hernandez

Buddy Wolff beat George Gadaski

Dusty Rhodes beat Armando Rodriguez

Bobby Heenan beat Kenny Jay

Bull Bullinski beat Caesar Pabon

Another example of the Flyers teaming on tv which shows how they were being presented by the promotion.

8/29/75 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School

Nick Bockwinkel & Baron Von Raschke beat Larry Hennig & Billy Robinson 2/3

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell dq

Jos Leduc beat Bobby Heenan

Kim Duk beat Khosrow Vaziri

The Valiants move into a more featured slot v. The Flyers albeit it on a smaller show.

9/6/75 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

AWA Tag Team Champions Dick the Bruiser & the Crusher beat the Legionairres Goulet & Lebeouf

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson dq

Ox Baker beat Moose Cholak

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant

Pampero Firpo beat Kim Duk

Sailor Art Thomas beat Bill White

Another loaded Chicago show with several non-regulars. Bruiser/Crusher have the belts at this point, which means the Flyers are in a holding pattern. But there are worse teams you could work on a major show in the 70’s than the Valiants.

9/7/75 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson via pin in 24:51

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant on a 3rd fall dq

Nick Bockwinkel beat Pampero Firpo COR in 20:20

Jos Leduc beat Buddy Wolff via pin in 16:31

Att: 3,638

9/9/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson when Raschke made Robinson submit with a Claw Hold in the 3rd fall at 30:10

Pampero Firpo no contest Nick Bockwinkel after Bobby Heenan interfered in 7:28

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell 17:30

Kim Duk beat Bull Bullinski 12:10

Jos Leduc beat Buddy Wolff 16:10

att: 3,342

9/11/75 Winnipeg, Mantoba, Canada @ Arena

Nick Bockwinkel ddq Pampero Firpo

Johnny Valiant & Jimmy Valiant beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Baron Von Raschke beat Gene Kiniski dq

Kim Duk beat Joe Corona

Jos Leduc beat Ivan Crankovic

Att: 4,000+

Flyers v. Valiants is going around the horn to all the major loop towns a the semi-main level. Presumably this is being done to groom the Valiants for a run v. Crusher/Bruiser but it shows the worth of this relatively young team that they are getting this run and seen as a team you have to go through to get to the belts. None of the numbers on these shows is particularly impressive.

10/3/75 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Billy Robinson beat AWA Champion Verne Gagne dq in 20:14 when Gagne tossed Robinson over the top rope

The Crusher beat Nick Bockwinkel dq

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Kim Duk beat Pampero Firpo dq

10/8/75 Duluth, MN

Cage Match

Baron Von Raschke beat Billy Robinson

Pampero Firpo beat Buddy Wolff

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat Greg Gagne &Jim Brunzell 2/3

Jos Leduc beat Kim Duk

Khosrow Vaziri beat George Gadask

Two more places they take the match here. Notable that they are working a gimmick main event in Duluth and Denver has a title match and Crusher/Bock. Really seems like they are trying to pop business however possible here.

10/11/75 St Paul, MN

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Baron Von Raschke

Jos Leduc beat Boris Breznikoff

Bull Bullinski beat Frank Hill

Bob Slaughter beat Dick Reynolds

att: 4,526

This is actually a pretty good number by the standards of some of the other shows from the Twin Cities that year.

10/19/75 Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veteran’s Memorial Arena

Jimmy Valiant beat The Crusher via pin

Baron Von Raschke beat Pampero Firpo dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell drew Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan when the time limit expired in the 3rd fall

Johnny Valiant beat Bull Bullinski via pin

Crusher v. Jimmy to set up the inevitable tag feud in the main event here, so Bock and Heenan draw the Flyers card.

10/24/75 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

AWA Tag Team Champions Dick the Bruiser & the Crusher beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens 2/3

Baron Von Raschke beat Pampero Firpo

Jos Leduc beat Kim Duk

Odd that they are working this far down the card in Denver at this point.

10/25/75 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Kim Duk via pin

Johnny Valiant beat the Crusher via pin

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bobby Heenan & Jimmy Valiant

Chris Taylor beat Don Wade via pin

Paul Perschmann drew Bull Bullinski 20:00

att: 4,312

This is not a good number for the AWA in Milwaukee at this point, especially on a show with Crusher and title match. The Valiants being broken up this way is interesting.

11/1/75 Chicago, IL @ International Amphitheatre

AWA Champion Verne Gagne beat Ox Baker

Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat AWA Tag Team Champions Dick the Bruiser & the Crusher dq

Baron von Raschke no contest Pampero Firpo

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Pepper Gomez beat Sgt. Jacques Goulet & Soldier LeBoeuf & Johnny Valiant

Wilbur Snyder beat Chuck O'Connor

Jimmy Valiant beat Billy Robinson

Bobby Duncum beat Bull Bullinski

Kim Duk drew Moose Cholak

Another big Chicago show that almost reads like a who’s who of the era. Flyers are in a middle of the pack match, but it’s cool to see them paired with Gomez.

11/7/75 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School

Jimmy Valiant beat The Crusher dq

Pampero Firpo beat Baron Von Raschke

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Paul Perschmann (sub Bobby Heenan)

Johnny Valiant beat Bull Bullinski

I wanna see a Bock/Rose team yesterday.

11/8/75 St Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Nick Bockwinkel beat Verne Gagne to win the AWA Title after Bobby Duncum interfered

Pampero Firpo no contest Baron Von Raschke

Billy Robinson beat Kim Duk dq

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Bobby Duncum & Buddy Wolff

Jos Leduc beat Don Wade

Att: 6,322

Not surprisingly Bock v. Gagne draws the biggest number of the year in the Twin Cities. It’s also a title switch. The Flyers are stuck near the bottom rung.

11/9/75 Milwaukee WI @ Auditorium

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant beat The Crusher & Pampero Firpo dq

Baron Von Raschke no contest Jos Leduc

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Paul Perschmann

Bobby Duncum beat Dick Reynolds

Bull Bullinski drew Don Wade

att: 5,281

Not a sellout, but not bad. Another match v. Bock/Buddy. I wonder if Firpo was subbing for The Bruiser here.

12/3/75 Peoria, IL

Jimmy Valiant beat The Crusher

Jos Leduc beat Johnny Valiant

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Don Wade & Kim Duk

Bobby Duncum beat Bob Backlund

Very little from the Flyers in November and they reappear v. Kim Duk and friend which seemed to be there go to at this point in between feuds.

12/9/75 Moline, IL @ Wharton Field House

The Crusher & Pampero Firpo beat Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant

Bobby Heenan & Bobby Duncum drew Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell

Larry Hennig beat Kim Duk

Bob Backlund beat Don Wade

Not a bad slot for the Flyers here, though Moline is not an A town.

12/13/75 Minneapolis TV

Bobby Duncum beat Santiago Acosta

Bull Bullinski beat Dick Young

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Paul Perschmann & Tom Demarco dq

12/16/75 Omaha, NE @ Civic Auditorium

Larry Hennig & Jos Leduc beat Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan dq

Kim Duk beat Don Wade

Valiants are getting a strong main event push at this point. Flyers are still being treated as relevant working against Bock and friends as a means of working their way back up.

12/17/75 Milwaukee, WI @ Auditorium

Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant & Baron Von Raschke beat Larry Hennig & Pampero Firpo & Jos Leduc

Chris Taylor beat Kim Duk

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan dq

Khosrow Vaziri beat Don Wade

att: 4,458

Milwaukee has really lost momentum.

12/29/75 Denver, CO @ Auditorium Arena

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Bobby Heenan 2/3

Verne Gagne ddq Bobby Duncum 17:02

Bull Bullinski beat Don Wade

Kim Duk beat Bob Backlund via pin

Amazingly The Flyers get a major market main event over Verne.

12/30/75 Lincoln, NE @ Pershing Auditorium

Baron Von Raschke beat Pampero Firpo

Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Jimmy Valiant & Johnny Valiant

Larry Hennig dcor Bobby Duncum

Jos LeDuc beat Kim Duk

Bobby Heenan beat Bull Bullinski

att: “record crowd estimated at 3,500”

Cool to see this listed as a record crowd. Not sure how many dates there are for Lincoln or how often Verne even ran there, but this is still impressive. Raschke is a local IIRC which may have been a big factor, though it’s cool to see the Flyers end the year on a couple of solid showings.

1975 is a bit of a roller coaster year for the Flyers and the AWA. It really does not appear that any of the regular towns were particularly hot during this period. Some of them have tapered off and it looked like they attempted a few things to heat things up. The Flyers had their fair share of singles matches and middling bouts v. teams out of the top tier. On the other hand they worked a program with Bock/Stevens for the title that hit every major market at least once, and was a main event in almost all of them. They also had a strong run of semi-mains v. The Valiants who were being groomed for a run v. The Crusher and friends up top. Though they did technically main event a sellout in Milwaukee, one would think the majority of credit for that would be given to Andre’s appearance on the card. Still this is a year that shows us the Flyers are going to be a staple of the tag division and get more than their fair share of main event matches in the AWA in coming years. Major market main events = 6. Total main events = 14.

The Twin Cities shows continue to be sort of middling at best. I could be wrong on the capacity in these venues of course, but this seems like mediocre number for the home base.

I believe Minneapolis Auditorium held around 10,000 full. St. Paul Civic Center could hold between 18 and 20 grand (a number rarely reached in any era).

A key thing here is you have a St. Paul card on April 12 and a Minneapolis card on April 26th. That's two cards in two weeks that drew a total of 9,000 people. Not bad.

Verne was often running Minne and St. Paul like two separate entities even into 1982. The Civic Center wasn't always used, either--He would run the adjacent St. Paul Auditorium which held about 5-7,000, a number better suited for shows running almost bi-weekly at times.

The Auditorium sat 7300 absolute capacity for wrestling.

No kidding? I always thought it was closer to Ten K.

Changes the perspectives on the attendance somewhat for me. It's too bad there isn't a percentage of capacity stat floating around, since that is so much more a measure of how a show draws than the raw numbers are, IMO.

• 6 months later...

High Flyers vs Road Warriors - 2/85 Winnipeg

This is not the match on the AWA set, but actually the one that sets that one up. I was surprised by how much the Road Warriors were willing to give in this. I shouldn't have given that the Road Warriors knew where their bread was buttered. This match is almost all High Flyers and the Road Warriors are totally willing to sell for them and hell even Hawk takes a bump to the floor off a Brunzell dropkick. Initially, the match looks like it is going to be the Road Warriors gobbling up their opponents before the Brunzell dropkick and then the arm work. I actually dug that Hawk was "like enough of this shit" and basically dragged one of the High Flyers over with him and tagged in Animal. It displayed that Hawk was getting frustrated, but at the same time was still strong enough to escape the nuisance. Thus now in my mind I am thinking "Oh shit, so what will the High Flyers have to do to overcome this." The Road Warriors offense looks great here and it is just your standard power fare.

In a really interesting wrinkle, Animal hurts his own knee because he does a backbreaker too hard. It is a transition I have never seen before. Basically the message there is the only way a Road Warrior can be harmed is by fucking himself up. The High Flyers do some really high quality leg work and Animal to his credit really milks by doing stuff like desperately trying to tag Hawk while Brunzell is holding his leg. The finish is Brunzell has Animal in a figure 4 and Gagne cuts Hawk off at the pass with the Gagne Choke Hold before Ellering gets involved and everything gets thrown out.

I was not expecting to enjoy the High Flyers control segments as much as I did. They were really worked and the Road Warriors put them over big. It felt like a much more emotional, heated match than the random AWA tag with Backlund. I have as much trouble as anyone buying Greg Gagne's look, but he was never put in a position that made him look out of place against the Road Warriors. He spent most of the time out-smarting and working the mat against the Road Warriors so it was all logical as far as I was concerned. This actually ranks among my favorite Road Warriors matches of all time, but I think speaks more to overall quality of Road Warriors matches as this was more just an entertaining affair than anything truly amazing.

• 1 year later...

There were three Percival Pringles.

1 Percival Pringle & Chauncey Pringle that wrestled for Bert Rubi in Michigan in the early 1960s.

2 The Percy Pringle that shows up on AWA TV and Kansas City cards during the mid 70s.

3 The fat guy later known as Paul Bearer.

• 3 years later...

There were three Percival Pringles.

1 Percival Pringle & Chauncey Pringle that wrestled for Bert Rubi in Michigan in the early 1960s.

2 The Percy Pringle that shows up on AWA TV and Kansas City cards during the mid 70s.

3 The fat guy later known as Paul Bearer.

IIRC he went by Percival Pringle III in Texas at least for a while, always wondered why until now.