Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-20-NWA-Power Hour] Midnight Express vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk

Loss

• 1 month later...

Really heated match built around Pillman and Zenk getting revenge. Excellent stuff. Bobby Eaton was at worst one of the top five guys in the world at this point. Lane also did a lot of really good stuff here, but Eaton was just *so* good. Pillman and Zenk get in quite a bit of offense before they even start working over Zenk as FIP. The MX upset the champs here to set up Capital Combat.

Terrific match, actually I'm not overly convinced that it wasn't as good or better than WrestleWar. It's a little heel-in-peril-ish but the HIP stuff is so fast-paced and executed so well that it doesn't matter. Zenk is still an albatross around the other 3 guys' necks in any given match, but Pillman is excellent here. Pillman does a blind cross body and eats the tennis racket, setting up the Midnights for a title match at Capital Combat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eaton gets backdropped to the floor and looked like he could have torn up his knee on it. Ross is talking about college football. Cornette gets nailed by Zenk. No real build up to that happening. Lane misses two consecutive charges into the corner which allows Zenk to tag in Pillman. Brian likes going to the top. Ha, Cornette gets his revenge as he tosses racket to Lane who uses it on Pillman.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the continuation of the story that WCW's booking team put the kibosh on, with Lane hitting Pillman in his achilles heel (the throat) to get the win. I liked the way this was laid out. Pillman and Zeaman looking for revenge dominate the early going, get cutoff with Zeaman (the weaker of the two) in the ring, hot tag to Pillman who runs wild, but gets caught in his weakness to give the MX the win. Good tag team match.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

People talk about the WWF tag division from the late eighties, but it didn't give us nearly as many good matches as the NWA's in 1990. This was another tremendously worked match, with Pillman and Zenk getting most of the offense as revenge for the MX trying to crush Brian's throat and stealing the US tag team belts. Unfortunately for them, the MX regain their equilibrium at just the right time, as Lane smashes Pillman with the racquet as he comes off the top to get the three count. Between the MX, Pillman/Zenk, and Rock 'n' Roll, this is already the best tag division in North America, and we haven't even seen more than a clip or two of the World Champion Steiners, the Road Warriors, or soon-to-be World Champions Doom.

I don't think the racquet was supposed to have caught Pillman in the throat. If it was, the director made a bad decision, because instead of seeing Brian sell the injury, we saw the MX celebrating before we went to break.

• 1 year later...

So this is the revenge match, I believe from the aborted throat angle. Pillman and Z Man come out hot. As much as I want to see The Midnights work over a babyface, I liked that the offense was more even, or even a little in the faces favor, then usual. It worked with the revenge story. I love the heat Sweet Stan can get with his karate stances. For my money there's no better double team move than the drop toehold/elbow drop. Beautiful Bobby fish-hooks Zenk's mouth something fiecre to set up the face in peril sequence. Beautiful Bobby man, he's untouchable.

• 11 months later...

Pillman is on fire early. Both Midnights are really great at making anybody look good, but Bobby is in another world so far on the set. And when the Midnights get on offense things actually pick up due to them still being cutting edge with their offense years later. Could have used more FIP on Pillman and less Zenk (always), but well worth the time.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-20-NWA-Power Hour] Midnight Express vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk