Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-28-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Brother Love's introduction of Hogan is tremendous. This is Hogan's first appearance on WWF TV since Wrestlemania. I LOVE that they waited a few weeks to have him show up, as it really helps get big wins and losses over when they have time to sink in. Vince goes out of his way on commentary to point out that Hogan looks better than ever, and this seems to be designed to let the fans know that Hulkamania is alive and well. Brother Love claims Earthquake was responsible for Hogan losing the title because of the splash at the end of the Bravo match a few weeks in advance. These two have great chemistry and play off of each other so well in this great segment, to a point where Brother Love as a manager sending people after Hogan wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world.

Yes, Brother Love as manager of the Undertaker for an extended time, into the Hogan feud, would have been interesting. We'll see how it goes later in the year but it gave Love a chance to be a semi-serious hellfire-and-brimstone character instead of the goofball he usually was. I was expecting Earthquake to come out right here, but I guess that's still to come as they were pushing a Hogan/Earthquake house show series at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There are times, rare as they are, when you can see through the Hulk Hogan character and into the soul of Terry Bollea, and his entrance for this piece is one of them. He looks genuinely touched to see all the fans still supporting him, and the smile on his face just before "Real American" switches off and we get down to business is as real as it gets for him. Both Prichard and Hogan are at their best here, with Brother Love caught off guard by the continued support of Hogan but as confident as ever that Earthquake will end Hulkamania for good. Hogan gives the fans the full treatment: poses, hand to ear, ripping the T-shirt, fiery promo. If only Vince hadn't felt the need to horn in on every silence, this segment might have been as close to perfect as the WWF got at this time.

Brother Love instead of Percy/Paul Bearer as Taker's manager? Interesting for the reasons Pete mentioned above, but in the end, Prichard was probably seen as too valuable at Titan Towers. Besides, Percy (as I'll continue to refer to him once Taker hits the scene) added so much to the Taker character. Interestingly enough, they tried Brother Love as the manager of the Beverly Brothers when they first debuted, but switched them to John Tolos (Coach) after (I believe) just one taping.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Love’s guest this week is a man who nobody loves any more, not even Brother Love, its Hulk Hogan! Huge ovation for the Hulkster with Vince McMahon claiming it’s like when Hogan won the title in Madison Square Garden. He runs through some poses and the crowd go wild and after Love’s claims that no-one loves him, what does he think about that? Love doesn’t know what to think of that, but he does know what to think about the Earthquake because it was he who was responsible for him losing the WWF title. He says that the Earthquake has already delivered a tremor to his chest, but when he gets in the ring with him and delivers a ‘ten’ from the top of the Richter Scale, Hulkamania will be dead! Hogan is snarling, huffing and puffing and claims that Hulkamania will never die. Sure he’s felt the tremors, but when he and the Earthquake get it on in the ring and he delivers the ‘ten’, they will get a chance to prove once again that the strongest force in the universe is not a tidal wave, it’s not a hurricane and it’s definitely not an Earthquake, its Hulkamania!

I was waiting for Earthquake to attack Hogan from behind and give him the splash on set but it wasn’t to be. I’ll be expecting it next time around though!

• 1 month later...

Great re-intro for Hogan after the loss. It takes all of the negative stuff that could come out of the loss to Warrior and disproves it in one nice, compact package. Hogan's reaction to the crowd is exceptional, as mentioned above. Never been a fan, but Hogan does really well with this. Brother Love brings it as well, introducing the fallen hero Hogan as fanatically as you could hope for.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-28-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan