Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-01-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee

Loss

• 1 month later...

Lawler is still very much a heel in Texas. He insults Texas sports teams and calls Tessa a slut! Dundee punches him in the mouth over it! This isn't at the level of their best matches, but as a presentation, this is really good. Tatum is out to plead with Tessa to take him back. She won't have it and he tries to carry Tessa away from the ring, which distracted Dundee long enough to get rolled up for a pin. Lawler and Tatum work over Dundee and wow is that a lot of lime green. Tessa is screaming for them to stop, but they don't listen. Jeff Jarrett and Chris Adams finally make the save, with Jarrett getting in some good shots on Lawler. I'd like a full-length match with these two in 1990, but this is a really fun angle and post-match brawl.

Lawler goes for the insta-cheap heat by insulting the Rangers and Cowboys, two teams that had much to feel insulted about at this time. Fun dynamic here with heel Lawler vs. babyface Dundee though I'm not overly crazy about a World title match taking a backdrop to the Tessa angle. That part is well-done, however, with Tatum attempting to kidnap Tessa after his pleas to change go unheeded, with Lawler playing the part of counselor in the middle of the match. The distraction enables Lawler to score a cheap win and the fight over Tessa continues afterward with a really fun Dundee/Tatum brawl that turns into a Lawler/Tatum beatdown. Jarrett and Adams make the save and the fight continues with the babyfaces eventually running the heels off. Fun little match but a much better post-match angle.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a way abbreviated that the 2 men have with one another. The run in is the total highlight of this. Lawler and Tatum ping ponging for Adams and Jarrett looked great. Tatum must have had a horrible rep not to get a shot in Crockett. His work and personality from this set and his Mid-South and earlier WCCW run seems like he deserved a shot their.

• 4 weeks later...

Dundee making out with the female fans. Lawler is wearing his Ninja Turtles tights. Jerry rags on the local teams and calls Tessa a slut. Dundee can exchange punches with Lawler. John Tatum shows up ringside to go after Tessa. Tatum tries to run off with Tessa which gets Dundee involved. Lawler uses this to advantage as rolls up Dundee from behind. Tatum and Lawler go to work on Dundee after. Heels get tagged by Dundee and Jarrett after match.

• 10 months later...

Hey, I'm back! I got a little burned out in the spring going through this stuff (in particular, I fell asleep watching Dandy/Azteca like 3 nights in a row before I finally watched it, although DVD problems also didn't help) but I have a free DVR and free time, so time to get back into these.

This is more angle than match, but it's a hot angle. What airs in ring is a fine, but by the numbers Lawler/Dundee match. Tatum is bound and determined to kidnap poor Tessa, but Dundee and later Jarrett and Adams fortunately prevent that from happening. I mean, I know Tatum got punched by them a bunch, but he really ought to thank them as I'm pretty sure kidnapping Tessa on live (or was this taped? Point still applies) television is illegal and he likely would have been immediately arrested.

• 1 year later...

To add to what Pete said, not only is it sad to see Lawler/Dundee take a back seat to the Tessa angle, it's also sad to see it in front of an audience that's not going nuclear for it. That's not the wrestlers' faults, but Dallas neither knows nor cares about the history between these two, and while they like Dundee and hate the King, this isn't exactly a Mid-South Coliseum crowd. The bout would have been much more heated if it had been for sure. It was pretty good as it was, because these two know how to work with each other if any two wrestlers alive do.

Now that Dundee's headed back to Memphis (as of the end of June), it'll be fun to see them interact with each other again, and also fun to see if Tessa's presence adds anything to this legendary mix.

• 1 year later...

John Tatum looked like Buffalo Bill when he was running with Tessa. Like hatred and fear and confusion and darkness all inside him. And during the tug of war for Tessa he was pulling on her pretty hard and man it felt mean spirited. Dundee, Lawler, and Jarrett were totally meaningless for me here, Tatum stole the show.

• 8 months later...

Tessa is now accompanying Dundee, but this doesn’t stop ‘The Superstar’ kissing female fans on the lips as he makes his entrance. ‘The King’ gets on the mic before the match and says that everyone in Dallas is a bunch of losers, and now they’re going to watch the wrestler with the biggest losing record in the history of the sport and he’s going to add one more loss to that column tonight. He then turns to Tessa and wonders what she is looking at ‘the slut’!

Not one of Lawler and Dundee’s better bouts as the match was more a backdrop for continuing the John Tatum and Tessa angle. A commercial break in the middle of the match also greatly interrupted the flow of things, as we go to the break with Lawler down and struggling in the corner, but return to see him in charge and Dundee the one who is down. Tatum makes his way to ringside and heads over to Tessa pleading with her to give him another chance and swearing that he’s changed. Lawler even tells Tessa that Dundee is nothing but a loser and there is a real man for her. Tatum’s words clearly weren’t working, and he picks Tessa up to carry her away. Dundee goes over and grabs Tatum’s hair to stop him, but Lawler rolls him up from behind for the win. Tatum kidnaps Tessa and carries her off up the aisle, but Dundee makes the save and drags Tatum back to ringside. Lawler clocks Dundee in the back with a chair and the two of them beat on him until Jeff Jarrett and Chris Adams make the save. Tatum and Lawler try to grab Tessa one final time but the faces fight them off. Tessa was really good here.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-01-USWA Texas] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee