Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-09-USWA-Championship Sports] Chris Von Erich vs Percy Pringle

Loss

• 1 month later...

Chris Von Erich, who I feel sorry for every time I see him, is doing an interview when Percy Pringle comes out to mock him. Pringle was one of the best talkers around at this point. He goes to slap Chris and Pringle has to bump for him. Borne is out quickly, Kerry comes out to even the sides and we have a pull-apart brawl. Good segment.

Poor Chris. Unlike Mike, he really did badly want to be a wrestler. His promo isn't bad at all, actually, and then Percy comes out to browbeat him. I absolutely could not stand Pringle as the manager of Rick Rude but he was great as Eric Embry's call-to-action babyface manager--a very tricky role to play--and he's good here. Percy attempts to slap Chris but Kerry Von Erich and Matt Borne are quickly out and Percy is exposed as quite the coward, having to protect himself from Chris with a chair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Percy does a fine job as a heel manager insulting Chris Von Erich, but man...knowing how Chris' story ends, less than a year after this, it really makes what he's saying here sting a little more. Not Pringle's fault, he had no idea what would happen, but it's still hard to watch nonetheless.

• 1 year later...

Chris has the makings of a fine promo here. He gets a bit distracted when Percy approaches him, but that's to be expected. He's more coherent that Kerry, that's for sure.

Percy's really pulling off his turn well. I wonder if this is the run that got him hired by the WWF.

In the old days, Fritz would have come out at least once by now to put Pringle in his place. I realize that he was probably tired and disgusted by what had happened to his family, but an appearance by him at some point in this feud wouldn't have been unwelcome.

As Pringle tells it, he had already left USWA and was getting ready to go back into the funeral business. He called Rick Rude to tell him of those plans, and Rick told him he'd get him a meeting with Vince (evidently very shortly before he left the company). In the meeting, with Vince, JJ, and Pat, Vince was looking over his resume and started laughing. "You're a LICENSED MORTICIAN??" and continued to laugh as Percy was sweating it out, not knowing what the hell Vince's tone meant. A few days later he got the call and was told his gimmick.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Chris looks as though he’s been crying. Despite all the racism and homophobia in this set, it’s these Chris interviews that are the most uncomfortable to watch. He says he was humiliated after what happened the other night with Matt Borne and he didn’t want to leave his parents ranch. He felt like he had let everybody down, but then remembered something his father and his brothers always taught him, when you fall off a horse, get straight back on. He’s here to see Kerry give Matt Borne just what he deserves, when out comes Percy Pringle laughing at Chris. Craig Johnson tries to tell Percy that this is Chris’ interview time, but Pringle says isn’t the ‘little man’ ashamed of himself? Doesn’t he know that his mother and father are at home right now watching him out here? Chris calls him ‘Mr Pringle’ and says that he’s not here to cause any trouble. Percy says that ‘Mr Pringle’ is right and he’s glad Fritz taught him some manners, but he knows Fritz is upset and ashamed of him because he’s no man! He still buys his clothes at the boys department in K-Mart and he ought to slap him right now! Percy goes to slap him but Chris blocks it and gets a knee up flooring Percy. Matt Borne is out and grabs Chris, but Kerry is immediately out to help his brother. Kerry and Matt have a hot looking brawl while a bunch of jobbers try to keep them apart. At the same time Percy and Chris square up to one another with plenty of posturing but not much else.

Chris’ promo was decent and I enjoyed Percy on the mic here. I think he’s the one person I’ve gone back and forth on the most in the Yearbook. One segment I like him, the next I can’t stand him and that irritating voice of his. From the way that they were squaring up to one another I’m not holding out much hope for the Percy/Chris matches when we get there. Good segment over all.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-09-USWA-Championship Sports] Chris Von Erich vs Percy Pringle