Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-09-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It would be nice to get a sense of the programs that Atlas is involved with here, but knowing ICW and how rarely they kept people around from taping to taping, there might not have really been any programs. Still, Atlas should be working for a territory or promotion where he can actually do something rather than these generic "I'm the man" promos.

• 1 year later...

Considering where he ends up and what he ends up doing not too long from now, Cox, I'll take these promos as they are and be glad. Still, it would have been nice to see more than one of Tony's matches so far during this run. (That's not a criticism of Will and Loss, by the way; knowing how much they love these promos, I'm sure that if more than one match had been considered worthy of inclusion, we would have seen it.)

• 1 year later...

There was some consistent talk about Atlas being brought into WCW, and was there in late 92 I think, but didn't last long. Really could have freshened things up around this time for the company. I like these promos, but the only match I remember from the set is the Onita match. Maybe there's a reason for that.

• 7 months later...

There are a lot people coming into the ICW and it seems like they have to holler and scream to get attention. They seem to think that have to come out here, flex their muscles and boast about how much food they ate to get overweight! He was sat thinking the other day that he’s the man with the guns, the man with the bod, the man with the looks and the man with the gold. He’s the man everybody is shooting for and everybody is talking about. When he walks down the street people look at him and say ‘there goes the champion’, and he likes that. Today he’s got to take care of an Italian champion and he’s just one of the contenders making the fatal mistake of getting in the ring with ‘the man’. He hasn’t forgot about ‘Chief’ and is going to take care of him too.

I’m afraid I’m bored of these now, same old, same old. Interesting idea of him getting the spot against Flair at the Clash instead of the JYD. After seeing these promos, and giving him a defined focus on Flair as opposed to just being generic, I certainly think he would have been better than the Dog was.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-09-ICW-TV] Interview: Tony Atlas