Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-28-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Wild Kingdom!

Loss

• 2 months later...

Gene ("Jim") and Alfred ("Marlon") continue their jungle tour, and Koko B. Ware and Frankie, Jake Roberts, the Bushwhackers, Jimmy Snuka and Akeem and Slick randomly show up in the jungle. Alfred's narration while Gene flipped out was laugh out loud funny. I'd probably get more out of this if I ever watched Wild Kingdom. This is brought to you by Burger King.

• 2 weeks later...

They have bears in Africa? Lord Alfred and "Jim" encounter Koko B. Ware searching for a mate for Frankie, Damian (with Jake using the opportunity to cut a promo on Bad News), the Bushwhackers walking with the Nairobi Express (an underrated tag team if there ever was one), the "anthropoid" Jimmy Snuka running around, and some unfriendly natives--Slick & Akeem. Hayes has to bail Jim out at every stop in their search for the mouth of the Yanghtze River. Hayes is pretty great and Gene is pretty shamelessly bold in pratfalling around like an idiot.

They have bears in Africa? Lord Alfred and "Jim" encounter Koko B. Ware searching for a mate for Frankie, Damian (with Jake using the opportunity to cut a promo on Bad News), the Bushwhackers walking with the Nairobi Express (an underrated tag team if there ever was one), the "anthropoid" Jimmy Snuka running around, and some unfriendly natives--Slick & Akeem. Hayes has to bail Jim out at every stop in their search for the mouth of the Yanghtze River. Hayes is pretty great and Gene is pretty shamelessly bold in pratfalling around like an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gene and Alfred run into Koko and Frankie. And Jake and Damien. Hopefully the Bushwhackers get hit by a train. Gene is showing off his acting chops. Snuka is referred to as a “jungle creature”. Slick is a friendly native. Gene seemed to enjoy doig this stuff. Von Erich versus Buddy Rose later on SNME??

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jim.........er, Gene and Alfred try their best, but we easily could have had at least one more match in place of this stuff. The two top contenders were Duggan/Quake (which ended up being canceled) and Bossman/DiBiase (Bossman went over via pin). The Bossman/DiBiase match could have closed out that feud once and for all and allowed Teddy to move on to Dusty with a clean slate. There was also a mixed tag rematch from Mania VI, with Liz in Dusty and Sapphire's corner and Brother Love in Savage and Sherri's corner. (I bring that match up because it had been teased in several of the Royal Couple's visits to Brother Love.) Showing that match would have left no reason for the singles matches at SummerSlam, though, which would have meant no chance for Teddy to be revealed as Sapphire's benefactor. Dusty and Sapphire won via pinfall.

These segments by themselves are corny and contrived, but no more so than most of the other vignettes you've ever seen on WWF TV. They would have been fine as filler for Prime Time or Spotlight. Knowing that they more than likely kept the blowoff to one of the hottest angles of the summer (Bossman/DiBiase) off of network television is what puts them into the waste of time category for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks like I’m in the minority with this one! Al Hayes and Gene Okerlund are in the ‘jungle’. I’m not sure if they are meant to be playing someone or themselves, but Hayes calls Gene ‘Jim’ for the duration of these. This was meant to be funny, but bar ‘Jim’s’ pratfall it was anything but. Of course with this being a ‘Wild Kingdom’ special we bump into some WWF superstars along the way who have tenuous links to the jungle, such as Koko B. Ware, Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka and Slick and Akeem. Dreadful!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-28-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] Wild Kingdom!