Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-22-ICW-TV] Tony Atlas vs Vic Steamboat

Loss

• 2 months later...

I'm sure we all have a guy who we mainly know from the Apter mags and always wondered about as a kid.

For me, that's Vic Steamboat. For the two years I was really into wrestling as a kid he was always in the standings somewhere and as a big Ricky Steamboat fan I absolutely wondered.

• 2 weeks later...

Ref looks like a young Mike choaida. Production values and commentary is so bad. Atlas does a hilariously awful elbow drop early in the clip as well. Tony would have been a good player in a stable where he could hide his in ring weaknesses and really excel in carrying the weight on the promo side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Vic Steamboat is Ricky's real-life brother. This was his biggest moment as a wrestler, I believe.

So this is how Tony's run in ICW ended, huh? A manager whom we've never seen before has a punch (with or without foreign object) that's lethal enough to floor him with one shot, then stands there like a schlump while Vic hits a flying bodypress for the win and the title? I guess they wanted to make sure that Tony had zero credibility left if he were to come crawling back.

I'd like to say more, but the only real impression I have from this match is that two maniacs screamed over the top of each other for what seemed like twenty minutes at the end. Was there no director to tell the lamebrain on play-by-play to shut up and let the color guy sell what had just happened, or vice versa, for that matter? Rumble actually wasn't too awful on color, but whoever his partner was should be the PA announcer at neighborhood peewee football and hockey games, and whoever "directed" this trainwreck shouldn't be trusted to throw on a test pattern at four in the morning at a ten-watt station in Lobster Spit, Maine. By the end of this, I felt like screaming "Calgon, take me away!"

No wonder Tony was so glad to rediscover his "roots".

• 1 year later...

Steamboat with a loosely applied sleeper on Atlas and ‘The Man’ starts faltering. He drops to the canvas and when the referee checks on him, grabs him by the shirt and pulls him into them in order to break the hold. The referee is down and Atlas’ manager ‘The Duke’ steps in the ring and puts something on his hand. Atlas holds Steamboat, ‘The Duke’ swings, Steamboat moves and he nails Atlas instead. ‘The Duke’ starts flapping about, Steamboat heads up to the top turnbuckle, comes off with a bodypress and the referee comes around in order to count the three and we have a new ICW champion. Atlas ends up attacking ‘The Duke’ after the match holding him responsible for the loss.

Atlas is already in the WWF by now so I wonder how long this match had been in the can? What we saw only went five minutes but it felt twice as long and wasn’t very good at all. ‘The Duke’ is garbage and seemed lost at what to do after he accidentally hit his protégé. Why haven’t we seen ‘The Duke’ by Tony’s side when Atlas was cutting those promos? He was out there for the Onita match earlier in the Yearbook but that’s the only other time we’ve seen him. Incidentally the official isn’t Mike Chioda, but future WCW and short lived WWF referee Billy Silverman. Adios ‘The Man’, your interviews have been a revelation and your Teen Report with Dawna will live long in the memory!

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-09-22-ICW-TV] Tony Atlas vs Vic Steamboat