Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-22-Maritimes] Rip Rogers vs Big Stephen Pettipas

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is a match Dylan and puropotsy have been pretty high on for a long time, so I'm glad to finally be watching it. This really shows much "stuff" Rogers had -- aggression, offense and schtick. I love his strikes -- punching, kicking, double axehandling and elbowing -- as much as I do anything else because it all looks so good. Pettipas has some stuff he can do well and keeps up fine, but Rogers is the star here. It's not so much what he does, but how he does it that makes him so good. So description isn't really the best way to put over how good this is. Bulldog Bob Brown runs in for a DQ finish before I think Kurrgan makes the save, just to make this really bizarre.

This was a really good match, on par with a lot of the best stuff happening on WCW TV at the time. Rip Rogers was a high quality pro wrestler.

Nice to see Rogers working on top for most of this. Petitpas throws in a few unexpected offensive wrinkles as he looks sort of like a big lunkhead but doesn't remotely wrestle like one. Petitpas is making his comeback when a decrepit Bulldog Bob Brown ruins things with a DQ run-in, and THE MARITIME GIANT comes in to make the save. Yep, that's definitely (a very, very skinny) Kurrgan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rip Rogers dropping his title on the floor is hilarious. He expects someone to grab it from him so the look on his face when he turns around is priceless. Color guy seems to piss some fan off. We don’t see what happens though. Bulldog Brown interferes on Oliver’s behalf. Is that Kurrgan?! Some big guy comes down after.

• 3 months later...

I spent the whole thing wondering how the hell Rip ended up in the Maritimes promotion. Could he not get booked ANYWHERE else? He might have been another who boycotted Puerto Rico after Brody's death, so WWC might not have been an option, but come on.

Rip is announced as from New Orleans instead of Seymour, Indiana. I was so disapointed. Not for nothing but there is a town near Seymour named Orleans. Met a girl from there in college who facially looked EXACTLY like Robert Gibson. It made me wonder. I mean, Robert did spend a lot of years in this territory...

It sounded like the announcer said they were at the "Cocaine Arena". I'd never seen Pettipas before and he just really did nothing here interesting at all. As stated, I spent the match lamenting Rip's bad luck.

• 1 year later...

Nice to see the Maritimes promotion represented on the set. That said, there's no way this match was in any way superior to a comparable WCW TV match. It was okay, but nothing I'd go out of my way to see again. Plus, it was damaged by Bulldog Bob Brown on commentary. The man contributed almost nothing but insults of everyone and everything he could think of; between that and the play-by-play guy's shoutouts, the match could have been between almost any two guys instead of the promotion's champion and his top challenger.

Brown's run-in which DQs Rogers is kind of shrugged off, which makes me wonder if he was just a guest or if he was the regular color man. If he was regular, there should have been a much, much bigger deal made out of this, as full-time commentators very seldom get involved in matches that they're calling. He's supposedly attacked by a fan during the match, but again this is almost shrugged off with a perfunctory warning to the fans about staying in their seats, which makes me think that it didn't really happen. If it had, we would have seen at least the aftermath of it.

There's no way this Maritime Giant was seven feet tall, let alone seven-five as Rogers claimed.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to add in that Petitpas was much better pre-1988 when he and Leo Burke were touring All-Japan, with Petitpas working as A. Sheik (I know Tony Stubbs worked that gimmick in earlier years but in 1988 it was Petitpas). Anyway, apparently a magazine was photographing Petitpas and his tour partner Tiger Jeet SIngh playing basketball when Petitpas blew out his knee. There are some good matches of him from the Maritimes as well as Montreal where he worked as Sheik Ali, a bumping big man heel.

Rip Rogers did a tour of the Martitimes as Hercules Simard in 1978. He was brought in and made champion in 1988 and then again in 1990. A lot of guys liked working the territory as it was seasonal (spring to fall) and they got to work seven days a week during that time. Also, it was a nice area to vacation in summer so it was a bonus that way.

Here are a couple of Rogers matches from 1988.

Rip Rogers vs Leo Burke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_UkFBGoedI

Rip Rogers vs Rock N Roll Rebel Dino Ventura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3iX1I8bzWg

• GSR changed the title to [1990-09-22-Maritimes] Rip Rogers vs Big Stephen Pettipas