Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-10-SWS] Jeff Jarrett & Bob Orton Jr vs Genichiro Tenryu & Kabuki

Loss

• 2 months later...

I love that the words EXCITING ANNOUNCER keep flashing on the screen in the bottom right hand corner. This was a really effective clash of styles all around, with Jarrett/Kabuki, Orton/Kabuki, Jarrett/Tenryu and Orton/Tenryu all working. Orton looks especially spry. I think he could have had another run in the Big Two. Jarrett fits in well with these guys because he upped the aggression. He and Orton were actually the stars of this match.

Orton was reported to be going back to the WWF around this time, but nothing came of it. "Jeff Jallett"--oh, dear God, that's too easy. Fun to see Jarrett in such an unusual (for him) setting. He acquits himself quite well despite a few moments of tentativeness, busting out some pretty great flying headscissors. Orton's offense is as crisp and vicious as it's ever been, and Kabuki works a long FIP segment to give the foreigners a chance to show their stuff. A very American layout all around, as Tenryu gets the hot tag and scores the pin shortly thereafter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff Jallet name change could have helped in get out from under his dad’s shadow. Clock on the side of the screen. Jallet with a bunch of headscissor takedowns. We get a graphic for exciting announcer. Random close up of the different announcers throughout match. Jeff works the leg of Kabuki but Outon prefers to work the back. Decent showing of strength by Bob on the backbreaker. Nice dropkick by Jeff. But then Tenryu just quickly powerbombs him for the win. Didn’t build to that finish enough.

• 2 years later...

This was good for the novelty factor more than anything else. Nice to see that Ace still had something to offer as a worker, although I don't know how his projected return to the WWF would have worked out. Somehow, I can't see him getting near Warrior in anything more than a non-title TV squash, and there weren't really any hot young babyfaces that could have used whatever rub he had left to give. Memphis would have been a good spot for him, as he meshed well with Jeff here. Maybe he could have helped the faces out against Gilbert and company, although since he wasn't all that good on the mic as a face he'd have been better off as one of Eddie's cronies.

The match itself wasn't anything great, but we got to see Jeff in a different atmosphere, which is interesting. I can't figure out why they spelled his name "Jallett", though. I heard Lawler's name dropped by the commentators, so they most likely acknowledged at least some of his Memphis history. He works well against both Tenryu and Kabuki, although I'd have liked to see him give Tenryu more of a scare before taking the pin. As I said earlier, Orton was solid too, particularly in his sequences against Kabuki.

I liked seeing the official time clock on the screen, although it was a tad distracting at first. The English/Japanese hybrid announcing is another matter altogether, it was just enough of the worst of both to sound awful. I noticed that the referee was Caucasian, so my hypothesis about Vince sending potential employees to work over in Japan as a sort of audition appears to be holding water for now. I got a chuckle out of the "Exciting Announcer" graphic.

• 4 months later...

Typical SMW random match, the kind of like WAR would proudly deliver on regular occasions. Orton looked really good here, actually better than during most of his WWF stint. The match was fine, but the final with Tenryu & Kabuki vs the Takano brothers is really good, with Kabuki showing he had quite a bit left in the tank, and Shunji surprisingly having a solid showing (actually better than his brother).

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-10-SWS] Jeff Jarrett & Bob Orton Jr vs Genichiro Tenryu & Kabuki