Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-03-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Joey Maggs / Interview: Jerry Lawler / Eddie Gilbert vs Jeff Jarrett

Loss

• 3 months later...

Babyface match. The storyline is that Danny Davis has taken Maggs under his wing. Maggs quickly gets desperate and starts bending the rules. Lawler tries again to wrestle by the rules and Maggs won't have it. Lawler puts an INCREDIBLE forearm across Maggs face to try breaking the hold. Really, I can't do it justice. Finally, Lawler gives him a little dose of his own medicine and the fists are a-flyin'. Great sub-5 minute match! Danny Davis out to chastise Maggs, because that's not what he taught him.

After the match, Lawler cuts a disappointed interview, saying he was looking forward to wrestling Maggs and it's a shame he had to get dirty.

Highlights of what looks to be a super match between Jarrett and Gilbert at Mid South Coliseum. It would be awesome to see this one in full. Sam Bass runs down after a ref bump and eats a piledriver. Gilbert throws fire at Jarrett, then pins him for an easy three count.

Lawler does a super serious promo hyping a Lawler/Gilbert match at Mid South Coliseum on Monday. Excellent!

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff all around. Lawler and Maggs have a nice little studio match with Maggs bending the rules, paying for it, and getting a public dressing-down from Dan Davis. Pulling hair and throwing fists isn't just against what Davis taught him, it seems like bad strategy to me. Trying to go fist-for-fist with Lawler is usually a losing proposition.

I suspect Jarrett/Gilbert would be a strong Memphis MOTYC contender based on the clips we see and the talent involved. Jerry Calhoun gets bumped. Jarrett drops Sam Bass Lowe with a piledriver but takes a fireball from Gilbert, and Gilbert keeps his hair and wins the Southern Heavyweight title.

Lawler and Brown brace themselves for Gilbert's inevitable talk about being the new King of Memphis. Lawler rattles off names who had previously tried to put him out--Hogan, Savage, Andre, LeDuc, Funk, Brisco--and none of them could do it. The big Lawler/Gilbert title match is something I can't wait to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Exchange moves but then Maggs yanks on Lawler’s hair twice. Maggs grabs hair again to block getting whipped into the ropes. Maggs continues to pull Lawler’s hair to block moves. Lawles gets pissed and takes down the strap. After the match Danny Davis has words with Maggs over his cheating ways.

Looks like a very good match between Gilbert/Jarrett from last monday. Gilbert uses a fireball but it gets Jarrett in the stomach instead of the face. At least Jarrett sells it properly. Lawler says he will be always be the king of Memphis.

• 2 years later...

Lawler is tremendous on the stick as usual, selling both disappointment at Maggs' actions and outrage at Eddie's. My favorite line was "You're not going to win any matches against me with your mouth." Maybe not, but he's almost Lawler's equal on the mic, as I've said before. For his part, Lawler almost guarantees that he'll throw fire against Eddie at some point, and I wouldn't doubt that for a minute.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Maggs match was designed to give the TV audience a chance to see the King pull the strap down, which I've never seen him do in a studio match before that I can remember. I think it also led to Maggs turning on Danny Davis and joining the Memphis Mafia at least briefly, and it'll be interesting to see that part of the story unfold over the next few weeks.

The Jarrett/Gilbert clips looked fabulous, but I wonder if Jeff catching the fireball in the midsection was a screwup. If it was, he still sold it brilliantly. I liked how Dave has resigned himself to Eddie's endless bragging about being the new king, which has indeed taken place, as we've seen throughout the rest of the month.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-11-03-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Joey Maggs / Interview: Jerry Lawler / Eddie Gilbert vs Jeff Jarrett