Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-11-14-AJW-Wrestlemarinepiad] Aja Kong vs Bull Nakano (Cage)

Loss

• 1 month later...

- (Cage Match) Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong

Just based on my initial few viewings of this I allready had this on my list of the greatest matches i've ever seen. That was before i'd seen very much of the Aja/Bull feud and only a small amount of 90-92 AJW in general. Watching it again now I had an even greater appreciation for it. The over all work is still unbelievably great but now I got a lot more of the little things that were going on and dug how they played off their earlier cage match. Since that one had a screwy finish with Gedo, it makes sense why this one is escape only and has no ref. In the previous match Aja cut open Bull's leg really bad so here Bull puts it over huge when she goes after it again and as retaliation she stabs Aja in the arm with a pair of scissors which is an aspect i'd never thought of before, originally just thinking she did it just to be a bitch. Also never got why Aja jumps her at the start and cuts a chunk of Bull's hair off till I realised they were setting up for the hair vs hair tag next Jan. The other thing I dug a lot more was watching what was going on outside of the cage with each girls seconds. While Aja vs Bull was always the main focus, the feud itself was a lot more then just that as it was about Jungle Jack vs Gokumon-to in general. Got a big kick out of watching how hard Bison & Madusa were fighting it out with Kyoko & Bat ringside and how hard they were trying to help their friends inside the cage, tossing in weapons, Madusa & Bison going nuts and trying to scale the cage once Bull cut Aja's arm open, Kyoko & Bat doing the same when Aja had Bull in serious trouble at times too. Really cool stuff, matches like these are why I love wrestling.

• 2 months later...

Pretty epic and memorable. This seemed like it should have taken place in FMW, as it feels like an Onita match in some ways. Aja trying in vain to no sell Bull's best shots and not being able to do so was pretty cool, and I liked how everyone had such a vested interest in their side winning, tossing weapons over the cage and trying to interfere. The spectacle surrounding the ring was almost as fun as the match itself. The match turned awfully violent because they were both so desperate. This worked for me. I don't think it's in the upper echelon of Joshi matches I've watched, but it's not far behind. I enjoyed it immensely. Great finish, with Bull doing the legendary legdrop from the top of the cage.

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of FMW-meets-Crockett, I thought, with crazier and crazier weapons being thrown in (FMW meets Crockett meets the pit fight in Hot Shots! Part Deux) and two stables in a brawl on the outside of the cage. The outside stuff added to the war instead of distracting from it. Meanwhile Bull finally faces someone who's put across as being on her level, and she has to bring out a nuclear bomb to escape with a win. This did more to add to Bull's aura than stupid shit like no-selling kendo stick shots and cutting off her opponents at every turn, plus it made Aja look as badass as possible in defeat. Definitely a higher-end joshi match for the year.

When you've seen Aja use the urakan as a high power move / finisher for so many years it kills all belief here when she hits the move 22 successive times and it does hardly any damage. I could never get into this match after that, and I've tried multiple times.

I think this was the first Joshi match I ever saw, and I had no idea what to make of these painted behemoths lashing each other with weapons. At this point, I'd rather watch it than the vast majority of pimped Joshi. Nakano made great use of the cage to showcase her athleticism and not just on the iconic leg drop. I also dug Aja focusing her weapon shots on Nakano's legs, trying to make the climb to victory more difficult. Nakano could have sold that storyline better. In the end, it's hard to rub me wrong with a spectacle match between bomb-throwing heavyweights. And they gave me plenty of spectacle and plenty of bombs with the added drama of ace vs. up-and-comer.

Aja attacks with scissors outside the ring. In cage and lights go out for a few seconds. Aja went nuts with the spinning back fists. Then Bull uses the nunchuck. Just beating the crap out of each other. Kong does a number on Bull’s thigh and Nakano responds by repeated stabbing with scissors. The seconds outside are brawling with each other and feeding weapons into the ring. Crazy scene. The leg drop. Brave to try that from a top of a cage. This was brutal. The weapon shots looked so hurtful. But it blows away the cage matches we have seen otherwise.

• 9 months later...

What a truly epic display of brutality, from Bull destroying Aja's arm with the scissors to Aja's repeated spinning backfists to Bull at the start and a wide variety of Japanese weaponry not normally seen in wrestling matches this was truly a spectacle. The fighting on the outside only helped add to the overall feeling of chaos and Bulls emotion when she escapes the cage at the end really put over just how important the match was and how much the win meant to her!

• 1 year later...

I think we have a new Japanese Match of the Year, folks.

I'm not sure what else can be said about it that hasn't already been covered, but this was one of the most brutal matches I've ever seen, especially from two women. With all of the weapons and extracurricular fighting, this had the potential to become spectacle for spectacle's sake, like ECW sometimes did. But they kept it serious; you could tell that each weapon shot was meant to maim. Trash cans, ropes, chains, boards, you name it and they used it. But they did so to try to win a wrestling match, not just to look cool. The fighting outside of the ring and the wild scene after the match was the topper. You know these two and their respective factions aren't through with each other yet.

I wonder how this match would have gone over in front of an American crowd, as used to the catfight style of women's wrestling as we were then and still are now. One thing's for sure: None of Moolah's girls would have lasted thirty seconds in Japan if they'd been required to work a style like this, even if you take away the cage and weapons. The joshi style of wrestling has been a real eye-opener for me on this set, and I look forward to seeing more, especially from Aja and Bull.

One thing's for sure: None of Moolah's girls would have lasted thirty seconds in Japan if they'd been required to work a style like this, even if you take away the cage and weapons.

Unfortunately Moolah's girls used to be a staple of 70's AJW and the start of the 80's. They'd just cycle through a very limited array of low grade heel offence. 90% of the match would be the Japanese girl bumping and trying to make something watchable out of the awful style. There were some good gaijins like Monster Ripper and the Glamour Girls, but the majority were inexperienced and poorly trained. Mainly you'd just be hoping for native vs native matches whilst watching footage from the era (hardly anything pre 1978 is available).

• 1 year later...

This was the most annoying match ever. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have this go 20+ minutes? Edit this to about 10-12 and you get a perfect match. The match felt like a DDT weapons battle royal at times. Match would've been better if they had thrown in Super Uchu Power too. Jesus, why was it impossible for Nakano and Aja to have a great match together? Their 1992 match sucked too. Bull vs. Toyota was better than this. In what bizarro world am I where Toyota has a better match than Aja?

• 2 months later...

Pretty unreal match. The lights going out in had me wondering if that was part of the match or what, what a wild scene. This feels totally unhinged, the leg stuff was brutal, the weapons flying around, a nunchuck (!) and it wasn't just mindless violence for it's own sake, there was a solid story as well, the classic vet vs upstart. This was crazy.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-11-14-AJW-Wrestlemarinepiad] Aja Kong vs Bull Nakano (Cage)
  • 1 year later...

They really threw everything at each other. Aja Kong spams the spinning backfists like how I play cheap when I'm having a match on Fire Pro. Not all of them land or look good, but Bull never sells a dud, so all is forgiven. Both women get cut open due to some of the nasty weapon shots. We see scissors, metal boxes, nunchucks and other objects being used as weapons. Bull looked like a total boss dropping that leg drop of the massively high cage. I argee with this going too long for it's own. My general rule of thumb is that most brawls need to start wrapping things within 15 minutes, as it's damn near impossible to keep that intensity going for too long and this was no exception.

★★★½