Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers you really dislike

goodhelmet

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually just coming here to say I also really dislike Mundo/Nitro. I have been slowly finally working my through LU season 1 (yes I know) and I just really don't like him. He brings the show down a notch for me.

Oddly, I am not a huge ricochet/Puma fan either. He isn't nearly as offensive to my eyeballs as mundo is, but I don't get excited when I see him on a card like some people do. I generally like him better in LU than I do on the average indy show though.

• 8 months later...

Randy Orton and Alberto el Patron. Orton to me is someone who COULD be great because his timing and execution is downright beautiful at times, but there's absolutely no heart or soul to anything he does. He's had his fair share of good to great matches, but they were usually with someone who was far more interesting (Christian, Bryan, etc). I feel the same way about Patron. I feel like he SHOULD work as a heel being the arrogant aristocrat and he played a good bully to Kalisto last year. But similar to Orton, he's a technically proficient dude with absolutely nothing behind it. And I never liked him as a face, even in LU.

Ron Garvin - I just don't get the hype. Some strong offense but I just find him bland in every other respect. This is probably reductive but I don't really get the appeal beyond he hits very hard.

Harley Race - Boring is probably a weird word to describe considering his bumping style but man are a lot of his matches boring.

Chris Benoit - Has been involved in some good/great matches against great workers but the majority of his matches/style do not age well at all. Too much emphasis on workrate, too much working in a vacuum, no hook. Hell, I'd take Dean Malenko over him, atleast the no nonsense shooter approach was sort of cool and he was a good technician.

Jon Cortez - Really dislike is a little extreme but he is by far the least of the top world of sport guys from what I've seen.

Super Astro - Super graceful aerial stuff but his matches/performances leave me cold. Satanico dragged a borderline great match out of him but that's about it. Really dislike is too harsh though.

Keiji Mutoh- Some really high highs but in between a ton of mediocre/bad stuff.

Masa Chono - Same as Mutoh except with even less high end stuff

I mentioned a few names a couple pages (and years?) back and I don't really like talking about wrestling I don't like, but I did want to clarify my old, unrefined points.

Sydal is a guy I maintain my distaste for, but I wasn't articulating it very well. I think I am mostly jealous of his abs and I don't trust people that look that happy all the time. Either way, he never really connected with me.

Jeff Hardy is still probably top of my list of guys I just don't like and I probably never will. It is a matter of taste I suppose.

Styles was a momentary reaction. I went back and watched a bunch of old Styles and remembered how much I loved him in the early 2000s. I was soured on him him right before his split from TNA I guess, even though I wasn't watching that stuff a lot. I am sort of a prisoner of the moment when it comes to him, but if I really reflect on his whole career, i am a pretty big fan of the dude.

As for the few posts back...

I still don't like Mundo. I had a conversation about him with a buddy recently who is quite high on him and he cited his athleticism and execution. I guess I am sympathetic to that, particularly when Mundo is a heel, but it still doesn't connect to me. I imagine it is mostly the ab thing again, but I just don't get into him. His presence and charisma feels forced to me. So much of his matches are contrived in a way that mirrors HBK's worst tendencies. I completely get why people like him and he is good at what he does, a freak athlete. It just isn't for me and doesn't align with what I gravitate toward in wrestling.

Ohh, and Del Rio/Patron is someone I have never enjoyed and i really wanted to for a while.

Cody Rhodes. Hat's off to his ability to get over outside WWE and become a big indie star, but he's so grindingly average it's annoying. Most of his "pretty good" matches were against better talent who could carry the action and his worst matches are the downright pits (Juice Robinson at WK).

His goofy character work in matches is also annoying.

Jeff Hardy is still probably top of my list of guys I just don't like and I probably never will. It is a matter of taste I suppose.

It is a matter of Jeff Hardy being a fucking terrible pro-wrestler. I have yet to see a single match where I can say he was *good*.

I loved his last WWE run 2006-2009. Don't know if you'd like any of it but thought he had some great matches with Johnny Nitro in 06, Umaga in 07, Triple H in 08, and Punk in 09 among others.

Cody Rhodes. Hat's off to his ability to get over outside WWE and become a big indie star, but he's so grindingly average it's annoying. Most of his "pretty good" matches were against better talent who could carry the action and his worst matches are the downright pits (Juice Robinson at WK).

His goofy character work in matches is also annoying.

My first thought on seeing Dave Meltzer rate a match 6 stars was that Cody was probably thrilled at the new scale since it might mean he'd finally be able to break the *** barrier without improving.

This may be weirdly specific but I enjoyed Jeff Hardy in the first half of 2016. Before his stuff with Matt transformed into the goofy Deletion stuff, he was for some reason having some of his best performances in memory. Then the Broken stuff took hold and that was fun too, albeit in a totally different way.

I've seen the Hardys in some really good traditional tags. Are we going to credit that entirely to Matt?

Yes. And the opponents. Jeff is terrible. He can't do any basic pro-wrestling right, his flying mostly looks sloppy and lack any sizzle, his "cool" spots are the worst of late 90's/early 00's indierriffic wasted motion shit. Can't cut a promo and the whole "look at me I'm an artist, I just dropped a bunch of paint on my arms" stuff is embarrassing. I'd be happy not to watch another Jeff Hardy match ever. (the Broken stuff was fun because it was all bullshit, but honestly, I'd rather have anyone other than Jeff in those videos too).

For a self-professing artist, Jeff's only really good at paint-by-numbers wrestling. If he's plugged into things he can deliver his end of the deal. Those 2001 TLC tags probably still hold up as fun popcorn matches because of a few spots, but I don't think they're fundamentally good. I'm not too high on the Hardy/Young Bucks match that got a lot of praise a few years back, for instance, but Jeff is a by-part to a few great matches - even if he's probably not the leading cause for them being great. There's also the Undertaker/Jeff ladder match that people still hold in high praise - and is probably the best match I've seen between two guys I don't think a thing of. I don't find it earth-shattering, but it blew away my expectations. Jeff did what was expected of him.

There's the CM Punk feud (which I don't recall enough to give my opinion) and that's it to his positive output, really.

• 1 month later...

2 words 11 letters Dean Ambrose. I still can't believe with that goofy offense and buggy whip arms , (thank you Jim Cornette) he was a main eventer. He's not the least bit convincing as the badass lunatic either. I'll second or third Alberto Del Rio. A Royal Rumble winner and multi time champion who I've never heard anybody say they liked. When I was a kid I couldnt stand Putski or Tony Atlas. Maybe I jyst hated the muscle heads.