Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Ted DiBiase vs Virgil

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DiBiase is just the most gigantic prick ever, beating up a crippled Piper. He gets counted out because of it, but Piper and Virgil get laid out afterward as Sherri makes a very quick career recovery. Virgil exhorts Piper to get up literally, the same way Piper did to him figuratively. Nice touch though the impact is definitely is dissipated considering what just took place earlier in the card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What we saw here was less about Virgil and Teddy settling their score and more about starting a full-blown Piper/DiBiase feud.

I have to hand it to Rod; his hip had to still be bothering him so soon after his surgery, and yet he was willing to be tossed around by Teddy out on the hard floor, where one slip or bad landing could have legitimately ended his career. I noticed that Teddy and Sherri worked the knee and ankle with those crutch shots, but stayed as far away from the bad hip as they possibly could. I'll bet he was still hurting pretty badly regardless after they were finished.

Virgil screaming at Piper to get up was a truly inspiring moment in a card full of them. This Mania definitely seems to be underrated when the great Manias of all time are discussed, no doubt due in part to the Hogan/Slaughter buildup, and that's a shame. Moments such as Hogan's title win, Warrior vanquishing Savage (who in turn gets saved from Sherri by Liz), Virgil helping Piper to symbolically regain his manhood after Piper had done the same for him, and any others I may have missed may not necessarily be great wrestling moments, but they're without doubt great sports entertainment moments. Today, we have very few of either kind in WWE.

I didn't remember Sherri helping Teddy here; I thought she just appeared in his corner out of nowhere during the first tapings after Mania. I didn't catch her wig falling off as she attacked Piper.

One more thing you'd never see today: fans trying to help fallen wrestlers up, as they did here with Piper. Even if they were allowed to, they wouldn't because it's spelled out so plainly that wrestling is 100% fake. Who would be stupid enough to help a freakin' actor in the middle of a performance?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Ted DiBiase vs Virgil
  • 2 years later...

Even with all the working parts in place, Virgil chokes on the big stage. The fans were insanely hot for this entire Dibiase/Virgil break-up storyline and Piper being in Virgil's corner gave everyone even more of an excuse to cheer him. They remain over for him at this show, but the reactions die down once he takes control and the fans see that Virgil is just not that great of a wrestler. Piper antagonises Dibiase and Virgil steals a countout win. It's fine, just not the pay-off that this incredible feud deserves. That satisfying pay-off would finally happen at Summerslam. 

★★