Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Nikita Koloff

Loss

• 2 months later...

Meadowlands highlights--Nikita wraps a chain around his arm to deliver the Russian Sickle, but mistakes Bill Alfonso's crawling for a three-count--this apparently, if I'm interpreting Nikita correctly, results in a held-up U.S. title. Nikita promises to break Luger's back, his neck, and then his spirit. I wish they would decide if Missy was a babyface or a heel already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nikita looked and sounded really stupid here. Once someone sees the footage, they're going to wonder how he can have any claim to the belt whatsoever. And even if he thought he did right afterward, you mean to tell me he didn't see the footage at some point and know exactly what Fonzie was doing? The only thing this does is provide a reason (at least in Nikita's mind) to destroy the US belt.

You can tell that Dusty had no confidence in this angle to help out pay-per-view sales; this was supposed to be one of WCW's hottest angles of the year, and yet less than three weeks after this at SuperBrawl, Luger would be teaming with Sting against the Steiners, while Nikita would be relegated to the second match on the card against Tommy Rich. Coming out of SuperBrawl, Nikita would be working with Sting instead, at least on TV. Talk about a waste of time that ended up going nowhere.

I forgot to add that he's starting to lose his accent noticeably here. In a way, that's understandable since he's been in the U.S. for so long (in character), but it really takes away from his menace.

I think that Missy's still a heel except when she's around either Heyman or Ron Simmons (if the angle where she's supposed to advise him hasn't been completely forgotten by now).

• GSR changed the title to [1991-04-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Nikita Koloff