Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-17-CMLL] Los Brazos vs Atlantis & Mascara Sagrada & Octagon

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is the best of the Brazos matches so far. I still don't think it's a GREAT match, but I enjoyed it, and it feels a little more serious than the others. Some really great highspots and athleticism in this one, even if it seemed like Atlantis was carrying the entire load for his team.

Selection bias and limited sample size issues notwithstanding I'm not sure Brazo de Plata isn't the lucha MVP of the year so far. He runs through some fantastic-looking offense and athletic spots here including a killer triple splash to end the first fall. Second fall is quick 'n dirty just to bridge us to the third, which brings us to a series of fantastic false finishes that I'm not used to seeing in a trios match, especially the tecnicos doing a triple surfboard thing and Porky almost pinning all three of them, and Atlantis getting the Atlantida just a little too close to the ropes. Octagon finally makes himself useful towards the end and Atlantis was good throughout, but this definitely came off as a Brazos showcase.

• 4 weeks later...

Liked Porky a lot in this one especially that great top rope splash on to all three opponents. Some goofiness with guys seemingly trying submissions but having their/backs shoulders down and not getting counted. But it's a comedy match and it was fun.

• 2 months later...

My favorite Brazos tag to and right on the brink of being a great match. The comedy got over here but all the other action was very crisp. I usually dont associate Atlantis with this fun lucha environments and as more of a serious wrestler but him vs. Porky was a fantastic pairing.

• 1 year later...

This wasn't bad at all. The Brazos continue to impress me, especially Porky, who's shown in these last two matches that he can do more than cry on cue. I appreciated his agility as I did in the last match (Dandy/Astro/Popitekus), and he showed that he can wrestle a bit by busting out some suplex variations. His triple-pin spots were also impressive, though the one that ended the first fall was a bit too cooperative for my tastes.

Speaking of which, this is the second lucha match in a row where someone sits in a figure-four for an eternity without any action or real selling going on. I know Mexico's style is as different from ours as Japan's is, but using a figure-four as a resthold is something I can't understand at all.

I liked the Dandy/Astro/Popitekus tag better because they kept the action flowing a little more, but like that match, this one was about the Brazos, and they really delivered.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-17-CMLL] Los Brazos vs Atlantis & Mascara Sagrada & Octagon