Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-25-WWF-Superstars] Bushwhackers Ice Cream Bars commercial / Funeral Parlor: Jake Roberts

Loss

• 2 months later...

The Bushwhackers love ice cream bars so much they smear them all over each other in some odd pseudo-sexual act.

Next up is the Funeral Parlor with Jake as a guest. Paul Bearer is amazing in this. Those facial expressions and that voice ... I can almost hear Vince going crazy over this. The clips of the previous angle mixed in are WWF production values at their best. Jake apparently hid Lucifer in the casket before coming out, and Bearer runs off screaming. I really liked watching these two playing off of each other.

This doesn't make the ice cream bars seem all that appetizing. I have never, ever in my entire life been able to find a package of these things. Ever.

Bearer gleefully whoops it up over the death of Damian. Did a little tearrr trickle down your cheeeeeek? Jake rebuts: "It's okay not to fear death my man, you've got to fear the living, 'cause those the ones that'll hurt you ... Growing up, I learned the first breath I take just got me a little bit closer to the last breath." After scaring Bearer off, Jake closes with more threats for the Earthquake. He hasn't had the opportunities of guys like Lawler or Flair, but Jake has probably been the most consistent promo of anyone on these first two '90s yearbooks, and knowing what's to come I find it very hard to believe that he'll be unseated for Interview of the Year when it comes to Award Time.

• 4 weeks later...

The Bushwhackers are big fans of WWF ice cream bars. This was kind of disgusting and would not make me go out and buy one.

Paul Bearer makes light of Damien’s demise and asks how the funeral was. He will build a casket for Lucifer when Earthquake squashes him too. Roberts doesn’t think the current casked will be big enough. Bearer goes to show how big it is but Lucifer is hiding inside. We don’t get to see Lucifer. Jake looked like he was about to have a breakdown during this but he was just setting up Bearer in the end.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't see how having two guys portrayed as animals and slobs smearing your ice cream bars all over each other is supposed to sell them as a delicious taste treat, but then again I'm not Vince McMahon, for which I thank heaven every day.

Savage and Piper's exchange about the Bushwhackers licking one of Piper's ice cream bars is priceless. To paraphrase:

Piper: Even when I'm not fightin', they're always lickin' me.

Savage: That's okay, Roddy. It looked like safe ice cream to me!

From there, it's off to the Parlor. Percy's great at taunting Jake over Damien's squashing, and Jake rises to the occasion when he finally gets the chance to speak. Part of me wishes that they'd kept Jake face and feuded him with a heel Taker instead of going the other way around, because I could have bought Jake figuring out Percy and Taker's mind games and defeating them, or at least holding them to a standoff.

Are we ever actually going to see Lucifer? Maybe they were trying to find just the right snake, although from the way Jake's described him I doubt that there's such a beast in captivity.

Judging from Savage's various comments and asides concerning Jake, I'm starting to think that there were plans for a Savage/Jake feud even before Jake officially turned heel. The good thing is that they were on opposite sides of the fence even now, so they could lay the groundwork with Jake still a face and Savage a heel-leaning tweener.

• 2 years later...

What strikes me about the Bushwhackers ice cream commercial the most is how they take that same insane energy that made them into demons when they were going around the territories and turn it into (still insane and disturbed) goofy shit to sell stuff to kids. Both Bearer and Jake really killed it in this segment and I loved the little exchange between Roddy and Macho as well. Jake is already hinting at a heel turn while remaining babyface, such a master.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-05-25-WWF-Superstars] Bushwhackers Ice Cream Bars commercial / Funeral Parlor: Jake Roberts