Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-19-NJPW-Summer Crush] Big Van Vader vs Shinya Hashimoto

Loss

• 3 months later...

I really liked how this slowly built into a great match. A really big feeling slugfest with both guys looking great. Hashimoto is a better Sting than Sting. It's not as action-packed as the Sting series, but it has more of a Clash of the Titans feel, and the crowd is hanging on all the nearfalls in the last few minutes. The match started slow, but with Hashimoto matches, the key is to be patient. I kind of respect him for giving fans what they want when he's ready for them to have it, instead of just tossing out all of his crowd-pleasing spots right away. That's the sign of a worker.

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my absolute favorites, but I liked this match more than I loved it. They started by exchanging nasty slaps, which established Hashimoto's willingness to stand and trade with the big man. I loved the intensity of the mid-match ground-and-pound stuff and Hashimoto's attempt to destroy Vader's arm. But when Hash caught Vader in an armbar later on, I didn't think the hold was applied or sold with the proper intensity. Same with the chinlock Hash tried at the end of his last rally. Those were the key payoff moments in Hashimoto's attempt to chop down the bear, so it bugged me that neither quite popped. The actual finish was better, with Vader seeming wounded but still too powerful for his challenger. Overall, they did get across the lion vs. bear vibe they sought.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought the match petered out right at the end--I got a "that's it?" vibe when Vader got the 3-count. This probably peaked with Hash's big armbar takedown, actually. But the striking and chop-down-the-tree stuff and a lot of Hash's armwork was all pretty great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hashimoto’s early matwork and pace of match can test your patience but he is able to draw you in over the course of the match. With Vader you get two guys just slugging it out. Crowd was into it and there was some good close pinfall attempts. Thought finish came about a bit too quickly though once they really got going.

• 1 month later...

Right off the bat a brutal affair with some plain nasty strikes. Hash gave some out but was mainly on the receiving end. This put over how tough he was as Vader could sure dish out the punishment. A few submissions but it was mainly standing/striking. I certainly enjoyed this one.

• 2 months later...

I liked this a good deal. At the onset I was expecting a quick brutal match but in the end we got a slow draining match that evolved around the arm work on Vader. I really enjoyed seeing two of my favorites mixing it up. This may not be the absolute classic I was hoping for but it was a very good match overall.

• 1 year later...

I thought these two were just going to slug it out, but Shinya took advantage of Vader missing a clothesline on the ringpost early and decided to work the arm instead, which he did very well. When that didn't work, he tried to put Vader out with a cobra, but the big bull was just a little too strong for him in the end.

I liked the use of the over-the-shoulder arm wringer by Shinya; it's not often used here in the States, but with the right buildup it could be used as a killer submission finisher for someone like Arn, whose armwork is already a stock in trade.

Vader's really on a roll right now, and you can tell that NJPW has some big plans for him. I don't really see the heavyweight superworker that he ostensibly turned into just yet, but he's definitely had some flashes and will only continue to get better as time goes on. I can see why WCW had an eye on him for future use.

• 2 years later...

This was pretty awesome. I love how brutal it starts and the story of Vader's left arm that is in play. They really pound on each other throughout, and I thought it told a good story too. I wouldn't put it up there with the Sting series (or even close to it really), but I do think this ended up being a great match. I thought Hash sold Vader's leg submission work pretty well too.

• 5 months later...

I liked this a lot. I didn't love it, but man once it really gets rolling Hash and Vader bring the goods. Maybe it's the slow beginning that makes it seem like less than a classic. Also, it seems like NJPW is still putting Vader over as a monster. I'm not sure if Hash has been in a lot of matches to this point where 75% or more of the early offense belongs to the opponent. I can cut him a little slack for having to work different than he's used to.

• 1 month later...

Shinya Hashimoto vs Vader - NJPW 7/19/91

I thought the beginning of the match was much better than the rest of the match. Vader sets the tone early by slapping the taste out of Hashimoto's mouth. Hashimoto fires right back. Great slugfest early on. Spilling outside of the ring twice. Multiple big shots with Vader overwhelming Hashimoto. Vader wraps his arm around the post. Good transition and work by Hashimoto so Vader punches him right in the face to stop that. I mean he clobbers him. I thought it kinda meandered in the middle. There were some rough, slow motion Vader bumps. Terrible legsweep and missed charge. Then when Hashimoto went back to the arm, Vader just did not sell in holds like the over the top shoulder, which was not Vader's fault, I mean Hashimoto looked like he was just holding it. I think Vader was waiting for a snapping motion to sell. The cross armbreakers were horribly sold, which anyone knows from reading my reviews is a major pet peeve of him. I thought the finish stretch redeemed this. Hashimoto's rainbow kick and DDT got great heat. The Sleeper/Choke was a great idea to finally fell the beast when nothing else seemed to work, but Vader is just too much of a monster and from the sleeper gets a powerslam using the hair. Loved that! Vader just steamrolls him en route to a victory not before Hashimoto gets a couple kick outs but a big splash does him in. Beginning and ending were great. The middle was just really weird given that these are two of the greatest of all time. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1991-07-19-NJPW-Summer Crush] Big Van Vader vs Shinya Hashimoto