Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-08-03-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts / Interview: Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior

Loss

• 3 months later...

First, we get a very overly produced vignette of Jake working with Warrior to show him the darkside. Jake is great in this, but the WWF's immaculate production works against them, because this segment would have been much better if they shot it outside instead of on a soundstage, and maybe even if it looked a little cheaper. Jake repeats the "trust me" line and has Warrior lay down in the casket while we see flashes of the angle from a few months earlier. This is filmed like a horror movie and borders on Wrestlecrap, but is just okay enough to avoid that label.

Later in the show, Hogan and Warrior are out for an interview. There's no continuity at all between this feud and the Jake vignette. This is Hogan and Warrior at their worst. Sid is out to shake hands with Hogan and Warrior, shakes their hands and raises their hands in the air, and holy moly that's a lot of steroids on that platform. Sid makes clear he's calling this down the middle. Sid hits my WWF pet peeve, because there is zero reason for him to be in wrestling gear.

• 4 weeks later...

We get more multiple-camera angles and a flashback and cheesy music, that really kill the atmosphere of this. Especially that one from inside the casket with Jake talking to the Warrior. Jake takes a little too much pleasure in locking Warrior in the casket, and after fighting for a little bit Warrior goes silent. When Jake opens it back up, Warrior sits up with a blank expression on his face. Jake is outstanding as usual here and just barely does enough to save this. There is a little vibe of Jake slowly and methodically crushing the Warrior's will that comes through here.

And now we get a primo example of why WWF booking was so regimented--because guys like the Warrior are incapable of getting over multiple programs at one time. It would add so much more if we got a low-key Warrior--maybe that would add some actual intrigue to the Foregone Conclusion Made in Hell. More lame war metaphors--they're no longer offensive, just lamely outdated. The only positive here is that they're not trying to suppress WrestleMania VI.

Sid fits right in with these two visually but cuts a really shitty promo.

• 3 weeks later...

Warrior lying in a casket getting advice from Roberts. Jake wants Warrior to learn Undertaker's dark side. Roberts convinces Warrior to lie down and then closes the casket top and locks it. Warrior is his usual nutty self and despite some of the silly camera angles I thought Roberts was fantastic during this segment.

How's the drug testing going? Hogan and Warrior cut some war references in their promos. Sid adds a crazy promo.

• 5 months later...

I cant believe these two things aired on the same show, its like Warrior is on Orphan Black or something. The casket angle with what Jake was saying was good but the overall theme and atmosphere was so hokey, I couldnt get into it. The promo with Sid/HOgan/Warrior and the whose side is Sid on feels like a pretty poor way to build up a main event. Does Hogan also not have to defend the WWF belt anymore?

• 1 year later...

I actually got into the Jake stuff more than the interview. Jake's so good here you're actually rooting for him to make over Warrior so he can face Taker after SummerSlam. What makes this more amazing is that Warrior literally adds nothing to this except growls and screams; it's basically Jake cutting a long promo trying to convince Warrior to embrace the dark side. Then we get Hogan and Warrior's interview, and it's like we're in a different universe altogether. They try to outblabber each other, with Warrior at one point cutting his promo directly in Hogan's face. Mania VI is indeed mentioned, and according to Warrior this match pales in comparison. Then why should we buy it?

Next, Sid comes out, and he goes from face to heel to face in about ten seconds. Not only is WWF booking regimented, but the promos are as well. You can't tell me Sid wouldn't be at least a little better on the mic if he didn't have to constantly think about setting up the line "Justice will be served". He's proven he can be at least passable in WCW, but he's much less than that here. And what's up with shaking Hogan and Warrior's hands? Despite what he said in the next breath, there's a definite vibe that he's on Hogan and Warrior's side here, since he didn't shake hands with Sarge and his crew, at least not that I can remember. As for why they're all in their gear, how else are you going to show off their physiques in all their glory?

The highlight of the segment was Savage saying "I recognize that music" for both Hogan and Warrior's entrance themes. If anyone would have memories concerning both of these guys, it's Savage. I thought it was kind of cute for Vince to chime in that Piper should recognize Hogan's music as well, although when they feuded Hogan used "Eye of the Tiger", not "Real American".

The Jake and Warrior stuff looks promising, the interview (which once again preempted The Funeral Parlor) was borderline embarrassing. Still, for 1991 WWF TV, one out of two ain't bad.

• 2 years later...

Jake was so good in this. I can't imagine anyone else actually doing this and it not being wrestlecrap. One thing about the Hogan/Warrior/Sid thing. Sid is SO GODDAMN sweaty coming out to say 30 seconds worth of lines. Also, how is Warrior going from the chilled, I-just-learned-the-secrets-of-death guy to amped up psycho mode between these?

• GSR changed the title to [1991-08-03-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Jake Roberts / Interview: Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior