Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-08-18-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Barber Shop: Sensational Sherri

Loss

• 3 months later...

The topic at hand is the wedding of Savage and Elizabeth. I just knew Sherri was going to interfere with the wedding at the time, and they certainly teased that here. Beefcake has arranged transportation for her -- a broom! She chases him off to end the segment.

• 1 month later...

It's amazing how many plans changed, and changed multiple times, around this time. Jake/Warrior teased as a feud, Savage/DiBiase teased as a feud, Jake/Sid started as a feud to replace Warrior and then abandoned with Sid's injury, Savage cajoled out of retirement to feud with Jake...and that doesn't get into the rather unexpected arrival of Ric Flair. I'm guessing this was taped before Jake's appearance at the bachelor party on Prime Time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I enjoyed seeing Sherri have something to say about the wedding. Her impersonation of Elizabeth saying oh yeah was pretty spot on. I also always get a kick of Bobby on commentary talking about how good looking she is. Beefcake is being an instigator and calls her a witch to end the segment.

• 1 year later...

It certainly looked after this segment that we'd get Savage/DiBiase Round 2, only with a greater chance of physical involvement from Liz, since you can tell even before this starts that Sherri/Liz is the main issue, not Randy/Teddy. The problem is, if Liz was trying to get pregnant and Randy wanted to stay home with her except to do Superstars once every three weeks, just what kind of feud would we have ended up with? Maybe it was going to be more of a one-time thing where Sherri crashes the reception without Teddy and gets the wedding cake in her face or something along those lines,

I liked Bobby's wolf whistles for Sherri and Vince calling him a lech. These two are developing a lot more chemistry in the nineties than they ever had in the eighties. Nice shoutout to Moolah as well.

Beefcake may be a bad host, but this was a perfect use of him. Presenting the broom to Sherri was a funny (though recycled) bit, and I liked Sherri losing her mind and taking a swing right at Beefcake's head. Thank God she didn't connect, even by accident.

So far, Vince really hasn't shown much confidence in either The Barber Shop or The Funeral Parlor as go-to segments the way Piper's Pit or The Brother Love Show were in the past. Most of the real money segments continue to be handled by Mean Gene on the interview stage, which begs the question: Why give Percy and Beefcake segments in the first place if they're not going to be appointment television? It just seems like a complete waste of time and resources that could be put to better use on other things. My calls for Piper are getting a bit redundant, I know, but if Vince had really wanted a segment that moved angles and got personalities over, he was about the only one on the roster at this time who could do it.

• 2 years later...

Sherri appears to be a bit upset about the wedding. Brutus eggs her on a little, but not in an overly entertaining way. I will say that Sherri plays her part brilliantly as always. It seems like being a great character in the WWF or WCW at the time is the kiss of death. You just sit in a sort of time loop where the only thing that changes is who you talk about in character.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-08-18-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Barber Shop: Sensational Sherri