Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-21-TWA-Autumn Armageddon] Terry Funk vs Kevin Sullivan

Loss

• 3 months later...

Woman is out with Sullivan and has dragged the Fallen Angel gimmick out of mothballs. Pretty crazy, all-over-the-building brawl, with Sullivan chasing Funk around with a hammer! He also takes off his wrist tape and uses it to tie Funk to the ringpost by the throat. He goes to take Funk's head off with a chair, and Funk ducks just in the nick of time. A low blow causes Funk to yell a series of profanities before Funk musters a comeback of his own that includes his own low blow. Woman takes a spinning toehold when she interferes, and I think that's the first time I've ever seen her get any comeuppance in any angle at all, come to think of it. The match is eventually thrown out when the referee loses control. Who could have possibly seen that coming with these two? Fun match.

• 1 month later...

Fun spectacle of non-stop action. Sullivan's little gloating act to Fallen Angel after blatantly punting Funk in the nuts is great, and there are some stiff shots and nicely crowd-pleasing brawling that never really descends into an ECW or AJW weapons-fest stunt show. It's broad and theatrical in that pro wrestling way, but it still looks like two guys beating the shit out of each other with anything not nailed down. Both men are DQ'd even though they spent the whole match breaking every rule in wrestling, but the brawl continues. Funk gets into it with some facepainted ally of Sullivan's--Metal Maniac, maybe?--and both men abuse a Japanese photographer just for fun. I'm not sure I didn't like this more than the Cactus/Gilbert match. It was far shorter of course, but they packed in almost everything they could in that time. Easily on par with the Benoit matches as the best that Sullivan has looked on tape.

• 9 months later...

This had a lot going on and was a sprint brawl for the 15 minutes it lasted. Sullivan played to his strengths of being a wandering brawler with some neat tendencies like the hammer bit. Woman taking the spinning toe hold did feel like a redemption spot. Funk was in rare form flipping the bird and cussing up a storm. Im not sure if the match was good but it was entertaining.

• 1 year later...

Just what you'd expect from two master brawlers: a war that goes all over the place with little regard for the rules of wrestling, their own health, or the health of their fellow professionals, like the Japanese photographer. It was still going on outside when the tape cut off.

I liked Woman in her Fallen Angel getup, but couldn't she have sold the spinning toehold a bit more? She wasn't a wrestler and hadn't worked out her legs any more than the average human, so what was she doing running around on two good legs at the end of the bout? Did Kevin say a magic spell over her knees while we weren't looking, or give her the betel nut (or however it's spelled) to make her forget the pain?

Out of all the weapons used to great effect in this match, one was conspicuous by its absence: Terry's branding iron.

I didn't see Terry flip the bird or hear him cuss much, and I was looking forward to both after reading the other comments. That's one disadvantage to watching handhelds; if you turn away for a second or miss a camera cut, you're potentially missing out on something important.

Who was this Metal Maniac who came to Sully's defense after the match? Did he become someone important afterward?

As entertaining as this match was, could you imagine Funk with Sully behind him in Florida or Memphis in the early eighties? Talk about a riot waiting to start, especially once Sully found the devil!

• 2 years later...

You know, I'm pretty sure the Devil has to be involved with that much hairspray. Crazy brawl that kind of works for me. If there are any two guys who can pull off the wandering around the building brawl it's these two, even if that type of match does not appeal to me. Terry taking a swing at some fans right before the end was pretty nuts.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-21-TWA-Autumn Armageddon] Terry Funk vs Kevin Sullivan