Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-12-06-CMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 4 months later...

Another great match between these two. This isn't as violent as their 1990 matches, which makes sense, considering that the feud had been dormant for so long. But it's a terrific wrestling match. It isn't worked entirely like a title match, but it is wrestled in that spirit, and it's more like a title match than it is any other type of match. We do see some really interesting matwork from both guys, including this bizarre pretzel submission from Dandy I can't even describe. There's no blood. But this is a worthy addition to the series, and a great match that is completely different from both of their 1990 matches. Dandy loses his hair this time around.

• 1 month later...

Were they just throwing this match out there on a show? I wonder if there was a big build up to the hair versus hair. Referee was biased against Satanico. Giving him a hard time. Satanico grabbed an armbar and was punching Dandy in the armpit. Ouch. Below their 90 efforts which I can understand as there isn’t the same hate/blood in it as much.

Based on last year this match-up had a lot to live up to, and it didn't quite get there. Perfunctory first two falls and more referee bullshit that annoys me--I simply don't like referees as characters unless it's for a specific angle. The third fall is still great, with great countermoves to stuff like Satanico's second attempt at a nudo and Dandy's second attempt at a figure four that leads to his downfall. Dandy also provides an incredible-looking counter that's sort of like a surfboard and an Indian deathlock with Satanico being lifted off the mat even while he's still got a leglock of his own applied to Dandy. It needs to be seen, is what I'm saying. Dandy loses that magnificent, spectacular hair but this rivalry feels like it could continue yet.

Judged against the same match from the year before, this was a disappointment. Of course, that was also the culmination of a more extended feud. This was still really good though. I didn't mind Dandy taking the first fall quickly after he entered the ring in a fury. The second fall went a little longer as Satanico got himself into the match with his brawling, which looked great as always. But as Loss said, they didn't really wrestle this with blood hatred, opting for a more title-match approach to the third fall. These guys were masters of creative mat wrestling so that extended technical battle came off very well. Even as a mild letdown, this was a top five lucha match for 1991.

• 4 weeks later...

It may not match the previous years encounter but this was really good in its own right. Hot start as Dandy goes 1-0 in double quick time. It was like a title match format only with an emphasis towards brawling instead of matwork. There was variety and a strong rivalry. They really could have used some blood though given the stakes, and the ref was too involved. Nice drama down the stretch and this time the magnificent mullet gets the chop.

• 11 months later...

Agree that it is a notch below last year but still fantastic stuff and a match that felt completely different relying more on wrestling and mind games coming off the final caida of last December's hair match. The finish of this one was fabulous too with Dandy losing his hair and Satanico being able to hang on and show his resourcefulness. I wish every match Dandy wrestled made tape.

• 1 year later...

These two couldn't top last year's match in terms of violence, so they didn't try. Instead, they wrestled a meat-and-potatoes match that was every bit as compelling in its own way. Satanico knows what it could mean if he loses his head like he did last year, and Dandy knows that Satanico won't allow himself to be played with, so they just decide to wrestle.

The first fall was too fast, and midway through the second fall this was looking like a Dandy squash. But Satanico takes advantage of Dandy talking to the official to turn the tide, and from there he gets a rather easy win to even things up. The third fall was a tremendous back-and-forth match with a legitimately shocking ending considering the wrestlers involved. I don't think too many people anticipated Satanico getting a perfectly clean pin off of a Dandy figure four attempt, least of all Dandy. But he takes his head-shaving like a man, and we're left to wonder if there will ever be a rubber hair match, I know I would pay to see it!

I agree with those who say that the referee was too involved in the first two falls, but he got out of the way for the third fall, which was good to see, especially considering how little rulebreaking there was in that fall compared to the other two.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-12-06-CMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)
  • 2 years later...

I didn't mind the ref stuff so much as the payoff of Satanico bringing his fist to his cheek, smiling fiendishly, and opening his hand was such a great moment. Watching this as I'm trying to fill in gaps for both guys and not through the lense of their feud so much, this was fantastic. As mentioned it's not exactly what you expect from a hair match but I didn't mind that at all as it brings elements of their previous matches without feeling like a rehash. The blistering pace combined with one of the best tercera caidas I've ever seen left me really high on this one. Granted I'm pretty intermediary on my lucha knowledge but as someone who likes elements of apeustas and title matches but leans towards the format of the latter, this was really up my alley. Beautiful combination of great action, a heated rivalry, great characters, and I loved the finish.