Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-12-21-WCW-Pro] Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko & Bobby Eaton vs Ricky Steamboat & Brian Pillman & Dustin Rhodes

Loss

• 4 months later...

Really good match. Pretty typical of Dangerous Alliance six-mans. Arn is the star of this one, working well with all three babyfaces. Good precursor of the type of matches you'll see on the 1992 Yearbook, for anyone on the fence about whether to jump to 1997 or continue going through these chronologically.

• 1 month later...

Arn puts the breaks on for a charge before hitting the turnbuckle. He lets us know how smart he is before getting his face rammed non stop into the turnbuckle. The faces are bending the rules in this match and take any cheap shot they can. Tension is really starting to grow amount the guys. Heels get the win they need to get this feud going towards 92. Barry makes another post match appearance going after Arn.

Really good match. Pretty typical of Dangerous Alliance six-mans. Arn is the star of this one, working well with all three babyfaces. Good precursor of the type of matches you'll see on the 1992 Yearbook, for anyone on the fence about whether to jump to 1997 or continue going through these chronologically.

Reasons I'm Going with 1992 First:

3. Seeing the AJPW transition to a post-Jumbo world.

2. Seeing what the hell was up with New Japan because I frankly have no idea what happened in NJPW in '92. The rise of El Samurai, I think?

1. Despite the fact that I've watched Will's DA comp--Dangerous Alliance matches.

Is there a better collection of talent in one match on U.S. soil in 1991? I'm guessing not. This had some fine triple-teaming by the babyfaces and a really great performance from Eaton--just a total dick. This is something to show anybody who tries to make the claim that Eaton was uncharismatic. This ends the way practically every DA victory ever did: babyface has a pin, but Eaton does the Alabama Jam onto the back of his head. Another hot scene post-match as Barry Windham goes nuts on the heels using his cast--somewhere Jesse Ventura is throwing a fit.

• 10 months later...

Dangerous Alliance (Bobby Eaton & The Enforcers) vs All Gold Everything (Brian Pillman, Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes) - WCW Pro 12/21/91

The first of many Dangerous Alliance six mans is a solid match, but I did not think it was exceptional. Cool that everyone on the babyface team is a champion, Steamboat & Rhodes lifted the titles from the Enforcers and Pillman is the Champion of the ill-fated Light Heavyweight division. The shine lacked panache felt like the faces were going through the motions. The heels were excellent especially Arn in selling how smart he was for stopping short of the turnbuckles only get rammed into them by Dustin. Things picked up for once Dustin crashed and burned to outside. He is such a great face in peril and the heels were just kicking ass in being assholes and taking it to Dustin. I wished Pillman got more of an opportunity to work with DA, but he was stuck being the cornerstone of the DOA Light Heavyweight Division. Pillman was a good hot tag, but the finish stretch was a little rushed. Pillman has the pin after a cross body, but the ref is distracted by all the surrounding chaos and Eaton hits a perfect Alabama Jam from the heavens to break it up. Arn gets the duke and I just love that finish. More of a harbinger of the great things to come then a great match in its own right. Post-match is the best part as Barry Windham is back to exact revenge from the Dangerous Alliance and cleans house on the three members with his cast.

• 1 month later...

Good beginner tag match for the DA vs. WCW stuff. The faces get a good shine and we have a short FIP sequence on Dustin THis did feel a little rushed as it only went about 9 minutes but the action was solid throughout and we get a fiery run from Windham attacking Arn.

• 1 year later...

This was too short; by the time the flow got going, it was time for the finish. Great action for the time they had, though. What I was most struck by were the little things: Heyman acting like a coach when Bobby got frustrated enough to go after a fan, not only verbally telling him to ignore the fan but actually putting an arm around him and steering him back to the ring; Bobby taunting Dustin in the corner after a particularly hard right hand with, "Where's your daddy now, big time?"; Pillman actually hitting a dropkick on Bobby when Bobby's perched on the top rope ready to interfere; Bobby loudly yelling "Oh, shit!" after a particularly deep Steamboat armdrag sent him to the outsude. Yes, there's a pattern, as Bobby was the DA's MVP here with Larry Z a close second.

I continue to be more than impressed with the WCW version of Larry; if I was voting in the GWE poll, his work during '91 in WCW would put him securely in the bottom half; before this, I wouldn't have even considered him, as I found his cowardly stalling act tiresome after only viewing it a few times.

Nice nod to history by JR, acknowledging Barry and Arn as former partners. While I'm at it, they seem to be acknowledging Sting's previous knee injury quite a bit lately as well. Good job, gentlemen. Now I'll give you double your salaries in Monopoly money if you name the organization that Barry and Arn belonged to as well the man at the head of that organization in the name of whom they did their dirty deeds.

I like JR acknowledging the DA's depth; any organization which can trot out a six-man lineup like they did here and still leave the U.S. champion and the TV champion on the bench is certainly deep.

I loved Sleeze's team name for the faces here, and I wish they'd have thought to use it. Can you imagine Cappetta saying: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, presenting.......ALL GOLD EVERYTHING!"

JR's line of the match, after Arn's been rammed into the turnbuckle by Dustin a thousand times: "Arn and those buckles have become fast friends."

By the way, the wrong man got the winning fall, even after Bobby's interference. Zbyszko had been tagged, according to JR, but somehow it was Arn who pinned Pillman. Oh well, as long as it was a DA member.........

Looking forward to many more of these matches!

• 2 years later...

Good not great 6-man. This was at least 5 minutes too short to be great. But with all of the talent they had in the ring I was just enjoying the ride. DA were damn good throughout. Barry's post-match attack saves the day, but they can't rely on him if he's going to heal.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-12-21-WCW-Pro] Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko & Bobby Eaton vs Ricky Steamboat & Brian Pillman & Dustin Rhodes