Pro Wrestling Only

WCW's Highway to Hell

El-P

On 11/3/2018 at 10:05 AM, fakeplastictrees said:

There was a good wrestling company living inside WCW that was just dying to get out. Booker T, Scott Steiner, 3 Count, Lance Storm and Team Canada, Mike Awesome, the luchadors, etc. All the elements of a watchable wrestling company were there, so of course the only logical conclusion is to bring back Bertha Faye, make Vince Russo champion, run endless hours of JJ talking about stroke and power, and ensure there are at least 1,000 WWF references per show.

A WWE Highway to Hell thread is going to be interesting. If the company folds in the next five years, what would be considered WWE's moment of putting the keys into the ignition? I would have to say the Saudi deal would be a good start, but if I am being honest, I feel as though we would need to start with ADR's "Destiny" and go from there.

I don't think WWE folds any time soon, but if it does, it starts with Triple H beating Punk two months after the Pipe Bomb. It kicked off an era where they were actively fighting the fans on a regular basis. Same as the way that WCW started dying the day they didn't just do a proper blowoff for Sting-Hogan at Starrcade '97.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the WWE will ever fold unless they are targeted by a larger content provider.. However , it is highly likely that  the McMahon heir will sell the company to a large content provider . I don' t know if it will be Disney , Amazon , Netflix, Comcast , AT & T , Viacom , Fox or even Sinclair or Nexstar . One day after Vince is gone, the heirs will cash in their chips. Really in the end the McMahon family  will have to sell or face disruption  from the likes of Amazon or Netflix. 

• 2 months later...

I heard King Kong Bundy say something recently and it perfectly sums up what I feel about WCW. He said he knew it was over for them when he saw Eric Bischoff cut a 15-minute promo, sitting on a motorcycle. I'm probably misquoting what he directly said, but it was something to the effect of "this place is doomed because this guy thinks he's a star". 

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, flyonthewall2983 said:

Going back to 1997-8, would the company have been better off putting the plans of Thunder into rejuvenating the Saturday Night slot instead?

I tend to think that time slot was kinda dead at that point. Wrestling was moving prime time, and 6pm on Saturday wasn't going to cut it in terms of drawing advertiser money. Heck, I think prime time on Saturday is going to be a real risk for AEW, so can't see how it'd have been a good call for WCW back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...