Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

We were doing so well too

#42 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3081 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

To echo everyone else's comments, the sheer amount of accumulated knowledge on this board is simply outstanding. The months I spent lurking here were like a postgraduate course in wrestling history. Also, the board has taught me to reach my own conclusions and not simply defer to established authority. My first forays into non-US wrestling were New Japan juniors matches. They didn't really do much for me, but I was under the impression that they held in universally high regard, so I figured the problem was lack of understanding on my end. Coming here and being exposed to different perspectives gave me the courage to say "You know, maybe these matches just suck." The thing is, this board's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. Simply trying to hold your own in a discussion can be incredibly demanding in terms of both knowledge and intensity. In fact, that's why I haven't been around too much lately. I've been going out and dating more recently, and it's kind of hard for me to shift my brain from in-depth match/wrestler analysis mode to date conversation mode.

#43 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

There's definitely something to be said for that, as ridiculous as it seems. I have watched and know infinitely more about pro wrestling than anyone in my life. Then I come to an awesome place like this and feel like a big rookie. Nothing wrong with that, but its often a combo of awesome and intimidating. Love it.

#44 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44063 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I feel like a big rookie here sometimes too. Everyone does. No one is above it. We have lots of people here who know their stuff, but no one here is an expert on everything.

#45 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Absolutely. Its probably a great thing for most people. Without it this place would probably devolve into the type of situation what would cause most people to abandon ship.

#46 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11233 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I feel like a big rookie here sometimes too. Everyone does. No one is above it. We have lots of people here who know their stuff, but no one here is an expert on everything.

It took a few years of lurking before I felt comfortable to talk here and that's after being on DVDVR for years and years.

Now everyone wished I talked less.

#47 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44063 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm a little concerned if people are sending PMs of solidarity to support people who they agree with in heated discussions, but they're afraid to get involved in threads because they are getting so heated. That's everyone's prerogative, and people can talk about anything they want in PMs. It's no one else's business. However, I don't want this to turn into a board where people who have something worthwhile to contribute don't, because they are afraid of getting in a big flame war over their chosen side of an issue. That's not at all what I want this board to be. Debates can be heated. I love that, and try not to discourage that. But debates can also be civil while heated. I hope we can all attack the message without attacking the messenger, and that we all understand the difference.

#48 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

The thing is, this board's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. Simply trying to hold your own in a discussion can be incredibly demanding in terms of both knowledge and intensity. In fact, that's why I haven't been around too much lately. I've been going out and dating more recently, and it's kind of hard for me to shift my brain from in-depth match/wrestler analysis mode to date conversation mode.

I wouldn't worry about that. There are massive chunks of the discussion here where anyone of us know very little, but there's someone else to pick things up. AWA? We have KHawk. Lawler? Lots of people like him, but there are guys like Bix and Phil who have a lot of it at the tip of mind. Joshi? We just had Lioness pop up, and we had two major joshi watchers pop in (Daniel and Jerome) even before our resident joshi obsessive (and I say that with kindness given the stuff I've been obsessive about) Flik showed up.

Current stuff? I don't watch a boatload of it. But if something goofy happens in the WWE, or something getting a ton of run online, I know that there will likely be a discussion here that can get me up to speed.

We're all out of date on various things in out life, including lots of pro wrestling. Don't worry about it. Pop in with what interests you.

John

#49 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Now everyone wished I talked less.

Not at all likely.

#50 JoshEngleman

JoshEngleman
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Any chance we can get a mobile theme for the board?

#51 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Any chance we can get a mobile theme for the board?

I don't think it would be possible for this version of the board (IPB 2.20), which dates back to 2006, prior to widespread mobile browsing. As best I can tell, a mobile skin wasn't shipped with the board until 3.10 in 2010.

If it's not displaying well on your device, you might be better served to consider using the lofi version of the site.

#52 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

UKFF misses you Ron, where have you been?

#53 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

UKFF misses you Ron, where have you been?

Doing as close an impression of a rockstar as a gelatinous beardy can by visiting four different countries, Butch!

I know if I log into the UKFF I'll spend all day on it so I'm trying to be super disciplined and stay away until I clear a backlog of work ... and the longer I leave it the more anxious I become because the more I'll have to read, so the more time I'll be distracted and um ...

Mind you, Summerslam was all the more a cracker for not having discussed it or read about it beforehand, so there's the plus.

#54 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

My favourite Wrestling forum by a mile.

Being a fan for 22 years and being the most knowledgeable person in my friend group (who are all big fans) to coming and discussing with people who blow my knowledge out of the water is a blast! Having so much fun here; learning all the time and improving my posting style to have the ability to succinctly put my points across in a friendly and non aggressive manner.

I really enjoy all the audio content that is churned out by some of the more "senior" posters on this board. Thank you to one and all for making this place awesome!

#55 Karl

Karl
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Im with Mr Shot on this one - love this place. It has fully re-ignited my love for the old wrestling I grew up watching and the seemingly endless list of matches I have not seen. Fantastic.

#56 BohsJohnny

BohsJohnny
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi only new on here but where i try to to look at different topics i get this

Posted Image

I have to click each post individually to read through the topic its a bit awkward to read through any help would be appreciated.

#57 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10224 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Welcome! That is an easy fix. Go to the Options button on the right hand side of the screen and click it. A drop down menu picks up and click on "switch to standard."

#58 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18960 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

That's nuts, I have neevr seen that screen before. Almost a throwback to the old DVDVR or TOA boards.

#59 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6358 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

For some reason it seems like most of the Google links to threads here have outline mode switched on.

#60 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

One of the first forums I discovered when I got active in the IWC in early 2008, and it has remained my favorite for the reasons mentioned above: Intelligent Discussion and Deep Knowledge.

Every hour I spend here teaches me loads of new stuff and keeps me entertained at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users