Pro Wrestling Only

The Steve Austin Show

Guest Andrews

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

WWE apologists really, really, *really* want to cast Tony as a Dixie 2.0 dumb fanboy money mark and will glom on to anything they think will reinforce that image. It's almost as if decades of Vince clearly hating being seen as a "rasslin' promoter" has trained WWE fans to look down on anyone in the business who legit enjoys professional wrestling.

I've never heard anyone who has dealt with him describe Tony as dumb quite the opposite. His major fault is his temper and rich kid entitlement. AEW is on a tremendous wave of momentum so it hasn't been displayed yet.  

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is claiming that anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks Tony is dumb.

That said...reading up on the demise of the AAF, it's not hard to see comparisons between Tony and Charlie Ebersol. Charlie was another son of a irch person saying all the right things, too, and then it turned out that the league was on the verge of folding in Week 2 before a temporary bailout. *That* said, I don't know if Charlie ever successfully ran a business on his own like Tony already apparently has.

2 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

No one is claiming that anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks Tony is dumb.

That said...reading up on the demise of the AAF, it's not hard to see comparisons between Tony and Charlie Ebersol. Charlie was another son of a irch person saying all the right things, too, and then it turned out that the league was on the verge of folding in Week 2 before a temporary bailout. *That* said, I don't know if Charlie ever successfully ran a business on his own like Tony already apparently has.

Eh I get what Sek is saying, though, I've seen people, not necessarily here, who have gotten that vibe. But the big thing that most immediately put Tony into prime position—and this is luck and privilege as much as anything else—is that he's a super duper hardcore fan who's not just part of a billionaire family, but part of an *NFL owner* family. He's done the work to make the deals and made the right connections, that's for sure, but it shows that, even among billionaires, There's Levels To This Shit. The Bucks/Cody/Omega and All In were the right people with the right proof of concept at the right time, sure, but it's very obvious that Tony was able to get the right meetings on the right timeline with people who probably never would have taken, say, Impact seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hulk Hogan really shined on the podcast. Felt like he is finally at the stage of his life where he has been humbled and is more genuine and coherent than before.

We could always try and question and fact check his version of history, but he could pass a lie detector because he believes it. (Does it really matter who had entrance music first in the WWF or if he invented selling t-shirts or if he scripted Andre and Warrior's matches without Patterson or if he wanted to become "HHH" at WM?) I don't want to focus on the nitpicks, though.

This was a good walkthrough of his early career and enjoyable podcast. I felt his timeline of events was even better than when he testified in the Gawker case. It jived with other interviews and books from Dr. D, Brian Blair, Grahams, Gagnes, Backlund, et al.

Bottom line, though, is he came off as a wrestling fan and someone who is self-aware of the criticisms of his ego. I hope fans take a closer look at his earlier work to see how he controlled the crowd, and how it's kinda dumb to knock his formula.

I haven't been listening since Austin returned, but I'm gonna go out of my way to check this one out. Appreciate the heads up & the review, man.

Hogan came off really well in his appearance on 83 Weeks also. It was brief, but Hulk sounded like he was genuinely enthused and delighted in discussing Dusty Rhodes. Hulk talked about his own fandom & his Japan stuff a bit there, too. Very cool and worth seeking out if anyone hasn't heard it.

I have no trouble believing Hogan thought about turning heel against Warrior, even going as far as to say he had the Hollywood Hogan character in mind at that point. I've got to think it was at least on his mind some during this time, if he even considered it an irrational business move. And when the time came several years later it was probably he just had it in mind to call himself that, even if his movie career was going down the tubes, compared to 1990 when he could at least be in something which had a life in theaters. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...