Pro Wrestling Only

If Not Race Then Who?

KrisZ

Check... looks like that wasn't a printed program booklet.

As far as booking the NJ Tag League, that would have been done comfortably in advance. Hogan worked it in 1980 & 1982, winning it with Inoki in 1982. Probably even know by the end of his prior tour (the IWGP series back in May/June) that he'd be coming back for the Tag League.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking last night, he was still working AWA dates when he had those matches with Race right through October and into November. khawk do you have any insight on this one?

Gagne, Geigel, and Race were both part owners of St Louis.

Pardon my ignorance, but if St. Louis wasn't a territory, what was there to own?

If they just didn't know, it's perfectly possible that 2-3 weeks before Starrcade they had a plan of putting him in that tag match and printed a program / ran an ad in a mag with it, either not knowing he was off to Japan or not knowing he was off to WWF after that.

Where is this printed program you speak of? I've only seen the PWI/Apter spread with that tag match listed, never a printed program from the night of the event, aside from maybe the cover.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'd just like to see it.

I haven't seen it, it's just mentioned by a few people in that Kayfabe Memories thread I linked to a few pages back. And then mentioned again and again on that board whenever this topic has come up (4-5 times since 2003).

Often connected to discussion of a perhaps mythical match between Hogan and Flair that may or may not have taken place in 83.

When I was looking last night, he was still working AWA dates when he had those matches with Race right through October and into November. khawk do you have any insight on this one?

Gagne, Geigel, and Race were both part owners of St Louis.

Pardon my ignorance, but if St. Louis wasn't a territory, what was there to own?

The St. Louis Wrestling Club, which ran the TV and house shows. Even after Vince took over Wrestling at the Chase on KPLR, they still ran house shows off local promos during a block of AWA, WCCW, & Central States TV that aired on a smaller station.

Bix, did Verne have any stake in the Heart of America promotion (aka Central States)? I know those two offices (Central States and St. Louis) were "close" with Giegel and Race being players in both. The second of the Hogan-Race matches was in Kansas and promoted by Heart of America.

I'm wondering if Race would have been the de facto face and Hogan the heel in that match.

• 1 month later...

Bix, did Verne have any stake in the Heart of America promotion (aka Central States)? I know those two offices (Central States and St. Louis) were "close" with Giegel and Race being players in both. The second of the Hogan-Race matches was in Kansas and promoted by Heart of America.

I'm wondering if Race would have been the de facto face and Hogan the heel in that match.

I dont think Verne had any stake in Central States....he got into STL when it was a still the MAJOR NWA Town...Larry Matysik goes over a ton of this in his many many interviews he did with 57talk.com

If you'd like to hear them, I can get them all to you...he did a few shoots and then a TON of booking sheets shows....really interesting stuff to hear going through teh 60's and 70's into the end in the early 80's.