Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-04-WWF-Shotgun Saturday Night] Brother Love & The Sisters of Love

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Brother Love is with The Flying Nuns, who he renames the Sisters of Love. They make all sorts of sacrilegious jokes and drop in a few masturbation references for good measure. Mother Smucker and Sister Angelica. Early Shotgun really was a brilliant Vince experiment, even if logistically it couldn't last.

• 3 weeks later...

Shotgun Saturday in its original form was a really cool concept. I like when promotions have a few TV shows with unique feels & settings. It gives the feel of the promotion being far reaching. Even if that is creating a smaller, more intimate show (like they do here) it helps because it feels like the promotion is everywhere at once.

• 1 year later...

I have never seen Shotgun Saturday Night before and this was insane. Mascarita Sagrada vs Mini Vader is teased, but not shown and I am sad.

Hog farmers vs nuns? I love that Vince makes a jam joke and now Brother Love returns! Bob Backlund is out of his mind. Weird and crazy stuff.

• 5 months later...

ECW chants while the Godwinns are in the ring. WWF was going through a total identity crisis period, with some ultra-cartoony gimmicks from the mid90's still being around in this sort of very "late 90's" ECW setting and atmosphere. Brother Love totally didn't fit either.

• 3 weeks later...

Brother Love is here to rescue us from the decadence of Shotgun and NYC. He re-dubs the Nuns as the Sisters of Love, and then actually manages to turn this into an honest-to-God wrestling promo. Generally I will never criticize a promo where someone rattles off a bunch of other wrestlers/tag teams on the roster, as Love does here.

• 1 year later...

Brother Love makes masturbation jokes & renames the Flying Nuns to the Sisters of Love. Bizarre segment that's fitting for this show. A show idea like this is good to try & see how an adult product works in the WWF. A lot of crazy & entertaining ideas.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-04-WWF-Shotgun Saturday Night] Brother Love & The Sisters of Love
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, this was daft as hell and feels like the perfect little canvas for Vince to chuck a bunch of stuff at to see what might work. Mother Smucker has to be one of the earliest attempts at a blatant bit of SMUT~ on the WWF's part, right? Attitude be comin'...