Pro Wrestling Only

Counter-Factual Snippets

Matt D

Part of me seriously wishes that they ran

Winner of Hogan v Slaughter v Winner of Warrior v Savage as the real main event of WMVII. I think the innate promise of Warrior vs Hogan II would have helped to sell tickets and that card could easily lose the horrible Bravo vs Texas Tornado match and probably a few others. On some level it bugged me that Slaughter promised Savage a title shot and the poor bastard never got it.

You know what...I thought I was the only one that was pissed that Savage didnt get his shot vs. Slaughter..

And as for the Warrior...just cause he yelled "NOOOO" to Sherri doesnt escape the fact that he was ducking Savage by saying no..and the fans cheered? Damn straight Savage was totally in the right getting him back for that...

Do you mean run the two matches and also have the winners face each other that night? Hogan and Warrior wrestling a second time would probably be not too pretty.

As for the lack of Savage title shot, I've sometimes thought that it could be explained as a favor swap. Slaughter substittuted for Savage against Warrior in exchange for the title shot. Or maybe Tunney overruled who got the shot. Or maybe a wizard did it. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
re: royal rumble 90

Nice of Jesse to come to the Ultimate Maniac's defense. Even at the time, I was wondering if they were going to turn Warrior heel. They probably should have, using Hogan's elimination of him as the main issue between them. Of course, there were no faces outside of Hogan who could realistically measure up to him, so it might have been just as bad for business as what happened in real life. Still, a Heenan-led Warrior as champion would have been something different between Manias VI and VII.

I kind of love this idea. I know Helwig would have never gone with it, but they could have run short programs with Dusty or Piper or Kerry or Jake or Duggan.

I'm trying to picture Warrior working heel effectively or with a manager and cannot imagine how it would work. You would have to strip away a whole lot of the things that made him work like his energy level, his explosiveness and 3/4s of his offense which was all pop inducing. Having him walk out with Bobby Heenan and work a chinlock on top for 6 minutes seems like a recipe for disaster.

So, there was a ton of talk about Bret Hart jumping to WCW, MAYBE with the IC Title at the January 1991 Clash, with the only reason he didn't (per Meltz) because his contract rolled over and he didn't realize. What the heck would have they done with him in 91?

Bret himself actually rebuked this in his Timeline interview. Vince had him locked up until September, and the offer from WCW was far below what he was making from the WWF.

I think Bret in WCW 92 would have been awesome. He could have replaced Nikita in the war against the Dangerous Alliance (particularly feuding with Austin over the TV Title)

Depending on how he got over, I could see him going against Vader or Rude for the Heavyweight Title or US Title as a face or as a heel going against Sting, Dustin, or Steamboat. The possibilities are endless, I actually think he would have been a better fit in WCW at this time. Same thing with Martel.