Pro Wrestling Only

Undertaker > Hogan

Sidebottom

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't familiar with any of them. I don't care at this point. I have found they know absolutely nothing at all. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. About anything. Not just films, anything.

I can't hold it against them, some of these students are bright and eager to learn, etc., but it's still risible. They come out of school knowing fuck all.

That's a difference. I care about kids of today, kids of the 90s, kids of the 80s, kids of the 70s... my parents were kids of the 40s and 50s, and I care about what they were thinking.

Hell, it would be nice if Tacitus wrote about kids in the first century more and gave us some insight.

It sounds like you're frustrated that they're not familiar with your DVD collection. It also seems like you're not making a distinction between the hobbyist and the average person. We were having a discussion about movies in my office the other day between a younger guy in his mid-20s who had only started taking movies seriously recently (a fairly common phenomenon that I think you're discounting), a guy who's the same age as me (34) who has fairly established tastes in film, and me who only watches older films. To say I was not on their wavelength is putting it mildly. I can't remember the last time I watched a new film at the cinema and I don't even own a TV. I have only the vaguest sense of what's going on in modern pop culture. At the moment I'm reading comics from the 70s. I'm out of touch with modern pop culture, but surely if you put together a montage of things that were culturally important from the last five years or so it would resonate more with these kids.

It sounds like you're frustrated that they're not familiar with your DVD collection. It also seems like you're not making a distinction between the hobbyist and the average person. We were having a discussion about movies in my office the other day between a younger guy in his mid-20s who had only started taking movies seriously recently (a fairly common phenomenon that I think you're discounting), a guy who's the same age as me (34) who has fairly established tastes in film, and me who only watches older films. To say I was not on their wavelength is putting it mildly. I can't remember the last time I watched a new film at the cinema and I don't even own a TV. I have only the vaguest sense of what's going on in modern pop culture. At the moment I'm reading comics from the 70s. I'm out of touch with modern pop culture, but surely if you put together a montage of things that were culturally important from the last five years or so it would resonate more with these kids.

It's not just my DVD collection, it's everything. Basic history. Basic cultural knowledge. The basic story of how things develop. A rough gauge on what was going on in each century. And so on and so forth. It's not there.

It's frustrating because it means I have to explain it. I don't want to have to explain it. I want them to come ready-made, from school, at least having HEARD of, say, Method Acting, or Marlon Brando, or I dunno, an idea that the Romantics were in the 19th century and that the Restoration happened in the 17th century.

That's all I want. Come knowing that shit already because it's the ABCs. We're in university not kindergarten.

The problem is with the way history is taught in school. They teach pockets of history in detail but don't join them up.

So kids learn about The Tudors and The Nazis but 1) about virtually nothing else and 2) seemingly have no idea how they join up with other world events. No diachronic history. That's the basic problem.

Not knowing specific shit on top of that.

Jerry you probably have something about the internet affecting kids' cultural knowledge wrt 'iconic' Hollywood stuff like Godfather (that students didn't recognize that scene actually is shocking to me, I don't think that would be the case in the US), Dirty Harry, etc., as opposed to years ago. But you won't get me to buy that there was EVER a time after the popularization of University education that a significantly greater amount of students knew about the Romantic movement etc.

Out of curiosity what do you teach, something English-y right?

Most of them knew fuck all back in 1984 as well. It's pretty common.

There's some truth to this statement, but I work in a maths department and there's often complaints about how undergraduate students today know a lot less coming in than they did say 30 years ago.

Most of them knew fuck all back in 1984 as well. It's pretty common.

There's some truth to this statement, but I work in a maths department and there's often complaints about how undergraduate students today know a lot less coming in than they did say 30 years ago.

Keith: I'm willing to bet that 30 years ago that teachers were saying the same thing:

"Kids today don't know as much as they did in the 50s when I started teaching."

-Older Teacher in the mid-80s

I suspect that there were articles being written about it, etc.

I'm not going to say that kids today know more or less, or give a shit more or less, than kids when I went to school in the 80s. Just that neither gave a shit.

• 1 month later...

As Paul Bearer would say OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This is getting bumped due to the massive reaction to Undertaker losing at WrestleMania and conspiracy theories about the finish being either a shoot or a mid-match audible due to Paul's and Brock's reactions, the 21-1 sign going up, commentators being "off" and Brock's music being late (I don't buy it, but I've seen a few in various forms).

Can this be compared to the mainstream reaction Hogan's heel turn garnered?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...