Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

I was surprised to hear Cornette say so clearly that - yeah, Smoky Mountain was his most successful project overall. But OVW was *the best* booking he's ever done.

I need to watch this stuff week to week. I have Heyman's OVW run, following Cornette's departure, but it just isn't at all the same by that point. There are still some good things going on - specifically the Punk/Albright program - but it's much more about appeasing the office and fine tuning the acts how they want by then.

Going back, it was funny to find out that Corny only ever received one true compliment from Vince for his OVW contributions. Nevermind the fact that Corny was instrumental in teaching, developing, and harvesting the likes of Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Batista, Benjamin, etc. But, in what has to be one of the most Vince McMahon things ever, it was the call-up of Gene Snitsky that got Vince to pick up the phone & personally thank Cornette for his great work on training the guy.

I dug Cornette basically reenacting an entire segment - bit by bit & blow by blow - from his OVW television layout. It goes to show how much effort he put into showing these guys the importance of time cues and restraints. But he also seemed to be loose with the promos - essentially just jotting them down as Jim Cornette would say them, but then telling the guys to get the same message across in their own words instead.

I'm stoked he'll be covering more OVW. I figured it would be awhile before he got around to it, so this is a real treat.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/29/2018 at 7:57 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

The OVW deep dive might be the best one yet, love hearing about the deals with the TV companies, sponsors and venues.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:19 PM, Cox said:

I just wish there were time stamps available for his shows so I could skip past the politics. I consider myself to be fairly left of center so Cornette and I share similar opinions of the current administration, but I hear enough about that stuff in my daily life, I'd prefer to avoid it on my wrestling podcasts.

Finally checked these shows out, and you guys weren't kidding.  I have loved all the "deep dives" he has done so far, but these OVW shows have been even better than the other ones he has done in the past. From what Brian Last has said, it sounds like the Deep Dive shows are getting a ton of positive feedback, so I really hope that Cornette continues to do them.  I could listen to him talk about wrestling history all day, and he keeps such meticulous records of the things he has been involved in, that you don't have to worry about the usual bullshit or vague recollections.  Cornette has such an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of Pro Wrestling, when he does the Deep Dives or even on his Drive-Thru podcast, I find them to be essential listening.  They are way better than anything Conrad and Company produces.  So many fascinating details about the business and booking of SMW, and now OVW.

But on the flip side, I really don't care to hear him rant endlessly about American politics.  It's his platform and he's certainly entitled to his opinion, but that's not why I listen to a Cornette podcast.  It's not like I am a Trump supporter or anything, it's just that I find I get inundated with people complaining about Trump online (especially Twitter) on TV and in print media pretty much non-stop.  I like to keep my Pro Wrestling politics free, as an escape - so I much prefer when Cornette sticks to Pro Wrestling history and leaves the politics out of it.  Like I said, some of these shows have been so damn good, I hope they mark a bit of a change in format for him.

• 2 weeks later...

The in-depth OVW discussion continues to deliver. I'm not gonna lie - I was initially surprised once Corny expressed how he clearly believed this stuff to be his best booking ever. But you can hear some of that come through in the way he describes his decisions & choices of the time.

It's really great stuff. Hearing Jim lay out how he responded to having the WWE Champion pulled from his show, after weeks of Brock being promoted & advertised is interesting, for example. I also like how he compares & contrasts the parallel career paths of certain guys. It was cool to hear Jim break down his distinctly different approaches in pushing Brock and Batista respectively, and why he selected each method for their specific talents/limitations.

Cornette's solution to sidestep the cliche of rival wrestlers getting into pull-apart brawls when they're seen together in public or at media appearances was tremendous yet simple (and a perfect snapshot of his old-school way of thinking).

I'm probably forgetting several other examples, but yeah. It's been consistently solid stuff, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

It's startling to me that he would be so high on his OVW booking. That entire run is really horrible -- overbooked finishes with too many ref bumps and run-ins, him screaming too much at the announce booth (and being 1/2 second ahead of the action at times, which shows the downfall of the booker also being the announcer). The talent level was also just not that strong. He probably had more obstacles than he ever had before in actually producing something, so I guess in that sense, I can see it. But those shows look terrible for the most part.

He's been tweeting a lot about Izzy wrestling this week, so be warned that there will probably be a lot of Izzy talk tomorrow. I don't think she should be wrestling either but I've heard enough of this incredibly obvious take already that I'm already dreading that part of the pod tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DeanColes1987 said:

Sam Houston getting kicked off Crockett's Jet for his habit of sitting on Baby Doll's lap making out on a sofa next to a grossed out wrestler is hilarious.

I haven't listened, but I would assume the grossed out wrestler was Dusty considering how mad he was at their relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Cornette's shows tend to be topic driven, so if it's a good topic, it's worth the full listen, and if it's not a good topic, it's probably best to skip. His best shows of late have been the deep dives with Ohio Valley, Smoky Mountain, and his various territory runs, but he hasn't done these in a few weeks so the shows have mostly been skippable of late.

4 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

When I saw that channel show up in my YT feed, I always just figured it was an official channel.

I believe Cornette addressed this already. It wasn't an official account but it was endorsed by Cornette and he (and Last) basically allowed the YT channel to exist since the owner of the YT account asked for permission. 

I still enjoy listening to all the Cornette shows but to me it seems Brian's Vanguard network of shows has started to stagnate.  The Cornette shows seem to be more reliant on the plugs of the lawyer and whatever the deal is with that Wondery site that they must be getting $ from to record bonus episodes just to plug their shows.  And the 605 and associated shows are starting to seem like Brian needs to expand his circle of friends a bit.  It seems like there's a family of 6-8 people in his "bubble" that get recycled across shows.