The Jim Cornette Experience

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#261 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, but at the time, they weren't the huge stars they are now. It was just as they were getting really noticed and right after a lot of guys had bad experiences with Jim in ROH. And looking at the facts that Cornette is a worker through and through, and based on every interview I've heard with Bucks has shown them to be totally decent guys... I'm gonna go with the Bucks on this one.

#262 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:10 PM

The Bucks are vanity searching asses. it would benefit them a lot more to do something with Cornette than it would Cornette. 

Do you think he could not get work as a performer if he really wanted it. 

ROH sounded like a bunch of kids upset they got a real teacher after pushing around the substitute. 

If I thought he was wrong, I would say it. I thought his fantasy booking for Ronda Rousey was dog shit. I think he obsesses too much with trying to compete with UFC. 

#263 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9574 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, but at the time, they weren't the huge stars they are now. 

I have no dog in this fight but that seems like a *greater* indication that they were trying to latch onto Cornette, not less.

#264 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

When a lot of that stuff came out they were already bigger stars than Cornette. The initial beef they had with him was that he convinced them to sign with RoH and then didn't us them consistently which cost them money.

#265 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11165 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

The Bucks are vanity searching asses. it would benefit them a lot more to do something with Cornette than it would Cornette. 

I get the Bucks not being everyone's cup of tea, but lol at this. There's nowhere in the world in the year of our lord 2018 that Cornette wouldn't gain more working with them than they would. 

I mean, maybe if the Bucks did an angle at the next Mid Atlantic Reunion show they'd be the one getting a rub, but that's about it.

#266 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

I don't see it, sorry.

#267 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

They have shirts in Hot Topic and just sold out a 10,000 seat arena for a show and probably underestimated the draw. They are way bigger than Jim Cornette is.

#268 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

Really they sold it out? 

I have not seen a Hot Topic in six years and I bet most people on this forum don't have one in their town. Even then its more accurate New Japan has shirts in Hot Topic and the Bucks are along for the ride. 

I don't buy them as draws, which doesn't matter to them. They make a decent living wrestling, which is more than a lot of guys in wrestling can say. 

#269 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1330 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

I'm with Vic on this issue.

I don't think Jim Cornette wants to be a big name with today's fan, nor does he want to be "relevant" in today's wrestling scene. He's pretty much retired. He does fanfests and appearances which are driving distance from his home, but he won't fly and he hates being away from his house for more than 24 hours. He won't go on the road full time and he claims he can't physically handle being at ringside as a manager on a regular basis due to the problems with his knees. And I don't think his hatred of modern wrestling is a total gimmick, I think he legit hates a lot of it. He has carved out his own niche appealing to old school fans and ranting about modern wrestling.

Cornette was invited to Starrcast and turned it down, because he says appearing there after everything he has said about Omega and The Young Bucks (etc.) would make him a hypocrite. He could get some limited notoriety and make a bit of money by working with somebody like The Young Bucks in the short term, but he'd be slitting his own throat in the long term. His hardcore fans would view him as a sellout and stop supporting him...and if you don't think that support is real or important to him, you need look no further than his recent kickstarter campaign. He wanted to raise $25,000 to fund a graphic novel. He raised $70,000 in almost no time - certainly much less than he thought it would take.

If Cornette needs the Young Bucks for anything work related, it's as targets.

#270 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1207 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

I'm with Vic on this issue.
I don't think Jim Cornette wants to be a big name with today's fan, nor does he want to be "relevant" in today's wrestling scene. He's pretty much retired. He does fanfests and appearances which are driving distance from his home, but he won't fly and he hates being away from his house for more than 24 hours. He won't go on the road full time and he claims he can't physically handle being at ringside as a manager on a regular basis due to the problems with his knees. And I don't think his hatred of modern wrestling is a total gimmick, I think he legit hates a lot of it. He has carved out his own niche appealing to old school fans and ranting about modern wrestling.
Cornette was invited to Starrcast and turned it down, because he says appearing there after everything he has said about Omega and The Young Bucks (etc.) would make him a hypocrite. He could get some limited notoriety and make a bit of money by working with somebody like The Young Bucks in the short term, but he'd be slitting his own throat in the long term. His hardcore fans would view him as a sellout and stop supporting him...and if you don't think that support is real or important to him, you need look no further than his recent kickstarter campaign. He wanted to raise $25,000 to fund a graphic novel. He raised $70,000 in almost no time - certainly much less than he thought it would take.
If Cornette needs the Young Bucks for anything work related, it's as targets.

This.

Cornette came right out and told everyone how he was invited to Starrcast, and he turned down the offer. Said he doesn't need the money and wouldn't want to look like a hypocrite. Say what you will about Cornette's personality, but I'm inclined to believe him on this one. Nobody has stated anything to the contrary, and Conrad's dropping shows three to four times a week if he wanted to clarify or correct anything.

The guy just genuinely hates what these guys are doing. He's passionate about what he did for a living, and so he's almost unreasonable about his disdain for these things. Not everything has to be a lie or a long con. Sometimes, people just mean what they say & that's it.

#271 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1672 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

He seemed very uncomfortable on the show when he was working for Jarrett last year. When the Canada business happened, he seemed relived he would not be working anymore. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users