Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

Jose, have you listened to Austin on Jericho's show yet? Austin simply explains so many things about his philosophy on wrestling where Jericho seems a little dumbfounded at times by how much sense he makes. You hear the difference between a guy successful in wrestling at a fairly high level and a guy who was successful at a level very few in history have ever been.

What do you mean by "fairly high level"? He's on the WON HOF you know? :) :) :) :)

Jokes aside, yes, I listened to that one. It's the only Talk is Jericho episode I have listened to. It was a good episode but, as you say, it was all about Austin. When you hear him talking about his career and how the advice he used to receive when he was starting out used to make him think about what he was doing, you can see how his success was not a "right guy at the right time" stroke of luck.

Jericho is one of those guys that it's puzzling to me that he's considered a wrestling master psychologist. Nowadays he doesn't wrestle all that differently than he did almost twenty years ago as a WAR midcard junior heavyweight.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before but I find Bill Watts's insane right-wing uber-capitalist Christian ranting much more entertaining (it's almost hypnotic!) than Corny's political stuff. A lot of Cornette's stuff is basically too specific to the US for me to care about anyway.

I like Corny's old-man anti-modern WWE rants though, even if they are a bit out of date.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was great. I generally dread Bill Dundee interviews but he was more open and upbeat. When you take away Alice and MSL, Cornette is still better to listen to than just about anybody.

Jimmy doesn't need a co-host. Both MSL and Alice take away from the Jim Cornette experience.

What is Alice history? I heard her on another MLW podcast within the last 6 months or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Christianity rant really was offputting this week. I guess I've never heard someone so zealously argue that Noah's Ark didn't exist and that the whole Bible is a work of fiction. I mean I knew there were people that believe that but I've never been exposed to someone so passionate about arguing it and thinking anyone who believes it is a complete moron & trying to force their views on others. I don't know what Jim & Alice's views on how they think the Earth got created, etc. is but any other explanation is MUCH more preposterous and astronimically impossible than the truth they perceive to be so preposterous. Someone needs to send them "The Case for Christ" to get their minds really going although I fear how much the show would devolve if they started digging in further.

I realize Cornette is the one who opened the can of worms on this topic and I respect you putting your opinion out there, but we should probably refrain from discussing the merits of Cornette's religious and political opinions in this thread just to keep this conversation from going somewhere that has nothing to do with pro wrestling. Hope everyone understands.

I agree with Loss. You can absolutely shit on the idea that Cornette is using his show as a pulpit for his religious and political beliefs. What we don't want is this thread devolving into arguments about his political and religious beliefs.

With all that said, I enjoyed his discussion with Cyrus. I had no idea he had a rep as a good worker.

EDIT: Also, don't respond to Tim's points about the merit of his argument. I will delete your post and you will be wasting your time.

The ones I have listened to are 30-40 minutes so they are perfect to listen to during a commute to work.

Alice is a terrible host in general but she's a terrible fit for this one. She knows little about wrestling in general and pretty much nothing about pre-Attitude era stuff so she is there to read questions and not much more. Then again I'm not sure MSL would be better since he'd somehow find a way to make the show about him. IMO Cornette would benefit from having somebody to bounce ideas back and forth with.

The shows themselves are fun but after a few Cornette shows you end up with a lot of redundancy in his rants.

This is actually the problem with the entire MLW podcast system as a whole with Cornette in the mix. There isn't one person there (Bauer, Alice, MSL, Konnan) that can hang with Cornette when it comes to wrestling history. I enjoy the Konnan show because Konnan cracks me up and I love hearing inside dirt on WCW and TNA. I enjoy Cornette interviewing guys like Jim Ross and Bill Dundee because they go places that Ross and Dundee would never go if they weren't talking to Cornette. I like the shows where they talk to the WWE writers the same way i enjoyed Dave Lagana's old podcast because it gives you insight into the inner-workings of the WWE machine.