• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#21 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10037 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

I enjoy Cornette's political rants quite a bit. Of course, sharing the same non-beliefs and progressive views as he does probably makes things easier on my ears, but still, always enjoyed hearing him talk about non-wrestling stuff too.

#22 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

Cornette to me is a lot like Jim Ross. I love listening to their interviews once or twice a year, maybe three times, but that is about it.

Also, while I can listen to Steve Austin or Konnan talking about pretty much anything, I don't really want to hear Cornette talking about anything else other than wrestling. He doesn't seem to be that interesting of a person once you take wrestling out of the equation.

Completely agree. Austin & especially Konnan are always a breeze to listen to, but unless he's on topic and not concerned with cracking himself up, Cornette can get pretty grating.

#23 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I enjoy Cornette's political rants quite a bit. Of course, sharing the same non-beliefs and progressive views as he does probably makes things easier on my ears, but still, always enjoyed hearing him talk about non-wrestling stuff too.

I am pretty close to most of his views on politics and religion so that's not my problem. After you have heard the rant twice my brain just turns itself off while he's ranting and I'm listening to the podcast but not really paying attention.

#24 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Cornette to me is a lot like Jim Ross. I love listening to their interviews once or twice a year, maybe three times, but that is about it.

Also, while I can listen to Steve Austin or Konnan talking about pretty much anything, I don't really want to hear Cornette talking about anything else other than wrestling. He doesn't seem to be that interesting of a person once you take wrestling out of the equation.

Completely agree. Austin & especially Konnan are always a breeze to listen to, but unless he's on topic and not concerned with cracking himself up, Cornette can get pretty grating.

Austin is an anomaly, though. I can listen to him all day talking about riding his RV and farting for hours after eating his wife's homemade burritos. He's got incredible comedic timing.

I have only listened to Jericho's first two episodes so I wonder how he's going to hold up after a few episodes.

#25 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44066 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Jose, have you listened to Austin on Jericho's show yet? Austin simply explains so many things about his philosophy on wrestling where Jericho seems a little dumbfounded at times by how much sense he makes. You hear the difference between a guy successful in wrestling at a fairly high level and a guy who was successful at a level very few in history have ever been.

#26 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Jose, have you listened to Austin on Jericho's show yet? Austin simply explains so many things about his philosophy on wrestling where Jericho seems a little dumbfounded at times by how much sense he makes. You hear the difference between a guy successful in wrestling at a fairly high level and a guy who was successful at a level very few in history have ever been.

What do you mean by "fairly high level"? He's on the WON HOF you know? :) :) :) :)

Jokes aside, yes, I listened to that one. It's the only Talk is Jericho episode I have listened to. It was a good episode but, as you say, it was all about Austin. When you hear him talking about his career and how the advice he used to receive when he was starting out used to make him think about what he was doing, you can see how his success was not a "right guy at the right time" stroke of luck.

Jericho is one of those guys that it's puzzling to me that he's considered a wrestling master psychologist. Nowadays he doesn't wrestle all that differently than he did almost twenty years ago as a WAR midcard junior heavyweight.

#27 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I said it before but I find Bill Watts's insane right-wing uber-capitalist Christian ranting much more entertaining (it's almost hypnotic!) than Corny's political stuff. A lot of Cornette's stuff is basically too specific to the US for me to care about anyway. I like Corny's old-man anti-modern WWE rants though, even if they are a bit out of date.

#28 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Bill Dundee this week. Rare to hear Bill being interviewed by a contemporary.

#29 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1063 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Bill Dundee this week. Rare to hear Bill being interviewed by a contemporary.

Can't wait for this.

#30 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18961 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I thought this was great. I generally dread Bill Dundee interviews but he was more open and upbeat. When you take away Alice and MSL, Cornette is still better to listen to than just about anybody.

#31 CFTV

CFTV
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

I thought this was great. I generally dread Bill Dundee interviews but he was more open and upbeat. When you take away Alice and MSL, Cornette is still better to listen to than just about anybody.

Jimmy doesn't need a co-host. Both MSL and Alice take away from the Jim Cornette experience.

What is Alice history? I heard her on another MLW podcast within the last 6 months or so.

#32 Zero

Zero

World's Strongest

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Just listening to this latest pod, I could go the rest of my life and never listen to Cornette talk about politics, and it'd be too soon.

#33 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Just listening to this latest pod, I could go the rest of my life and never listen to Cornette talk about politics, and it'd be too soon.

He even talks about it in the Bobby Fulton episode? Damn I was hoping he would drop that shit in that one

#34 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18961 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

He starts off the show on a rant but it doesn't bleed into the actual interview.

#35 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, its unfortunate but I just can't listen to the show anymore. MLW and Bauer & Pollack are more than enough.

#36 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1861 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Once I see the words "Court Bauer", I'm already well past more the more than enough point.

#37 ajtroma

ajtroma
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Considering Corny shares the same political views that I do, I enjoy it. Enjoy them more than any conversation with that slimy, carny reprobate Bill Dundee any goddamned day.

#38 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Once I see the words "Court Bauer", I'm already well past more the more than enough point.

I meant more than enough content to pass the time. I actually enjoy Bauer. He keeps the shows from meandering too much.

#39 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

I meant more than enough content to pass the time. I actually enjoy Bauer. He keeps the shows from meandering too much.

Plus his enthusiasm is quite infectious at times.

#40 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10037 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

This week's edition's got Don Callis. Now there's an interesting guy who hasn't done a whole lot of interviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users