Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-04-10-NOAH-Spring Navigation] Kensuke Sasaki vs Jun Akiyama

Loss

• 2 years later...

Kensuke Sasaki vs Jun Akiyama - NOAH 4/10/10

TAKE THAT DREAM! So glad to have Kensuke Sasaki back in my life. It is the Fifth Pillar vs the Fourth Musketeer (Id put him ahead of Hase by end of the decade). Unless I am mistaken this is their first big singles match together. Probably one of the last remaining 90s dream matches and of course it takes place in 2010. In my opinion, Akiyama delivers his best selling performance since 2000. Sasaki rocks him with a big elbow in the opening strike exchange and Akiyama sells it like death. It really feels like a pivotal moment with consequence, which I love. On the outside, he is in pain, but he is also trying to fire himself back up. Sasaki was dropping him a big delayed vertical and chopping him looked firmly in control He misses a charge. Akiyama knowing that his time is short just starts throwing bombs suplexes, guillotine choke, huge knees to end this as quickly as possible. On an exploder, Sasaki elbows him in the neck and Akiyama tries to recover, but a lariat wipes him out. Sasaki does his weird armdrag thingy into his lame submission thingy but works with Akiyama's neck injured. Up until this point, I thought the match was rocking. Then they went all NOAH on me. They just started bomb throwing with no rhyme or reason and no selling. Ugh. They had a good thing going. They do redeem themselves because the finish is all about Sasaki attacking the neck (big elbow to neck) and try as he might (suplex and running knee), Akiyama just does not have enough left to dig himself out of this hole. Sasaki hits his Northern Lights Bomb when Akiyama went for the exploder and a trio of monster lariats to win.

I love matches where something pivotal happens early and it changes the complexion of the match every is worked through that. Akiyama was great at selling and Sasaki did a great job on the neck. The bomb throwing and no selling hurt it, but it was just brief. Otherwise, a great dream match that delivered in a different way than you would have expected. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2010-04-10-NOAH-Spring Navigation] Kensuke Sasaki vs Jun Akiyama