Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-10-24-WWE-Bragging Rights] Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler

Loss

• 3 years later...

WWE US Champion Daniel Bryan vs WWE Intercontinental Champion Dolph Ziggler - Bragging Rights 2010

No story here, Bragging Rights was a concept PPV to pit RAW vs Smackdown (what they have been doing with Survivor Series) and so they pair off the midcard champions. This has gotten significant praise over the years and I have never seen it before. How did Ziggler go from one of the best at pinning combinations (look at the cool amateur-inspired cradles) to one of the worst. I liked the amateur scrambles with Bryan winning each one (Zigs had a great ankle pick). Ziggler bails to outside and hides behind Vickie. Bryan hits a knee from the apron and then a big dropkick back in the ring. Loved the opening minutes and really thought this was on pace to be a classic. Bryan gets his head snapped on the ropes. The match kinda stalls out. Ziggler just isn't all that interesting on top. There is good stuff like the inverted bodyslam, the Mr. Perfect headsnap and one of the all time great explosive Fireman Carry takedowns, but lots of deadspace and chinlocks. Bryan provides his own hope spots and cutoffs. Bryan launches himself into the buckles on a missed dropkick. I feel like Bryan thinks his kicks are better than they are. They are not bad, but they aren't great either. He makes his comeback based on his kicks. Hits a good springboard dropkick. Ziggler gets his shoddy superkick well that hasn't changed. Ziggler was using the sleeper as his finish (which I liked) and he goes for that. They end up on the top and Bryan crotches Ziggler, but Ziggler shifts his weight on the superback suplex->1-2-NO, Bryans rolls through 1-2-NO and "This is awesome" chants start softly but pick up steam. Is this where it starts. the collide hard when both think cross body. Thought Ziggler sold that really well. They exchange shots on their knees, they are trying way too hard to make this epic. Series of rollups. This is like 90s workrate meets WWE spot-taunt-spot style. Ziggler gets fameasser, Bryan gets foot on ropes at the last second. Ziggler gets the sleeper, but Bryan eventually gets the ropes. Ziggler taunts Bryan and gets caught in the LeBell Lock to lose. Lots of protection for Ziggler getting the visual pin and forcing the rope break on the sleeper. This was a good workrate match with good drama down the stretch. Once they got out of the heat segment, it was pretty entertaining but not much in the way of narrative. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2010-10-24-WWE-Bragging Rights] Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler
  • 1 year later...

This felt like two younger promising, hungry mid-card talents going out there & wanting to put on a showstealing match. They ended up doing that successfully; it's an absolute banger of a bout, and both guys looked like million bucks against one another -- Bryan's offense is always killer, but it got that extra sauce to it here w/ Ziggler being in his peak bumping & selling form. Ziggler also delivered in the control segments of his own, and I liked the little story they got going early on with his amateur wrestling past coming out & wanting to challenge the world-renowned pro-wrestling technician Bryan on the mat. ****