Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-02-20-WWE-Elimination Chamber] Jerry Lawler vs The Miz

Loss

• 1 month later...

Previously at PWO:

The Miz vs Jerry Lawler (WWE Elimination Chamber 02/20/11)

This was good, but I think their first match on RAW was much better than this. Lawler shows that he's barely lost a step from his peak (if in fact he has at all). I realize they are setting up Wrestlemania, but Michael Cole is completely unbearable and destroys this match for me. Cole taking the bump was a really satisfying moment though, for that precise reason. Lawler is still executing superplexes and DDTs, jumping off the top rope and keeping the crowd involved with some tremendous false finishes, so I give him lots of credit. I also think Miz did a good job of making Lawler look like a worthwhile challenger (which admittedly wasn't too hard) and Alex Riley was such an effective heat seeking second for Miz. But I think this is more a match to point to that says Jerry still had it in 2011 than it is a great match. It wasn't the in-ring work, it was the overall presentation that took it down a notch. There's too much you'd have to look past or ignore to appreciate this, and it's sad because most of it is out of control of Lawler or Miz.

• 4 years later...

WWE Champion The Miz vs Jerry Lawler - WWE Elimination Chamber 2011

I really try not to let booking influence how I feel about a match, but when a 63 year old man is basically squashing the WWE Champion that will be headlining WrestleMania the next month, it does leave me scratching my head. Lawler actually looked really good here better than that RAW match. He was throwing decent dropkicks and was moving better. Hell, he hit a friggin Superplex, took it on his knees (smart). He took like 75% of the match. The only Miz heat segment was set up by Riley distraction. This was all Lawler all the time. I hate the people that bitch & moan about the old timers kicking ass because I think there is a time and place. I would love a great Lawler shine and a good, fired-up Lawler comeback, but I thought this was excessive. He whupped The Miz. The only thing I would have loved to have him Piledrive Alex Riley for old time's sake. Lawler's punches looked awesome. He threw Miz into Cole which was great. I thought for sure Cole was going to factor into the finish to set up Mania, but Miz countered the Piledriver, kicked him in the head and hit the Skull Crushing Finale. It was a good match in a vacuum, but in the context of the Miz main eventing WrestleMania next month I don't know how productive it was. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2011-02-20-WWE-Elimination Chamber] Jerry Lawler vs The Miz
  • 1 year later...

This has more “workrate” than any Lawler in his prime match. I would’ve like a more Memphis minimal approach to it, but was throughly enjoyable even with the valid criticism of a part time wrestler/commentator taking most of the match from the WWE Champion. Cole’s commentating during the match is a prime example of how WWE announcers detract from a match instead of enhancing them. ***1/4